Demountable...Truck Camper Passengers? (1 Viewer)

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Asked this one before but never got an answer:Sad:

Anyone know if its legal to carry people in a demountable/truck camper when mounted on the back of a pick up?? :Eeek:

Cheers :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont know of any rules stopping you. its only like a coach built but fixed different. if adult no seatbelts required .lots of trucks with crawl or walk through,s carry passengers in back. not 5ers . different rules.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
i doubt it.......you could carry livestock though:roflmto:

Would agree with Pappajohn - seriously doubt it could be legal or safe - surely you would have to comply with seat belt laws and other safety issues.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its seems to me that common sense dictates that the mounted demountable, is part of the vehicle and there would be no problem with passengers in the back. So it's probably illegal. :Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
depends on year of m,home as most are excempt. for adults. changed about oct 07 i think.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just read on another, unrelated, forum someone asked if its legal to travel in the back of a horsebox truck.......only if it has a walkthrough from the cab, no walkthrough, no ride.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
depends on year of m,home as most are excempt. for adults. changed about oct 07 i think.

Hi Alan that raises a couple of other queries - there cannot be a walkthrough with a de mountable on the back of a pickup and if it were age related:ROFLMAO:( everything I do these days is !!! ) would that be the age of the vehicle or the demountable that dictates the rules ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you cant walk through on a london taxi either. or the minibuses with fixed bulkheads . even a double decker as a seperate cab for the driver. think thats why they used to put sliding windows in demount and pickup for comunication. may need abit more reaserch.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you cant walk through on a london taxi either. or the minibuses with fixed bulkheads . even a double decker as a seperate cab for the driver. think thats why they used to put sliding windows in demount and pickup for comunication. may need abit more reaserch.

but all the above are designated passenger vehicles.

a de-mountable isnt.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but who says they arent? like i say need s more investigation . but i still dont know of any rules that say you cant. if i build a motor home (fit a demount) i say they are designated seats as they normally sit side ways no belts req. the law is an ass we all know that. all i can say is when i had suntrecker demounts on vw,s nobody ever stopped me. i know its no precident in law. how about filling gas bottles like that one.

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Its a tough one alright :Doh:

Went to the copshop today to ask and they didnt know either :Eeek: but said they would make enquiries and get back to me (ill stop holding my breath shall I ?? :ROFLMAO:).

Cant see why it wouldnt be legal, the safety aspect is another matter altogether but then again a serious crash in any type of motorhome would end up with you as the target for all the pots and pans flying around and at least the pick up would act as a crumple zone :ROFLMAO:

But after seeing this

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tKhXEQutDk[/ame]

Its not the pots and pans you need to worry about !!!!

Ill keep you posted if the boys in bodyarmour :Eeek: get back to me :thumb:

Last edited:

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off

If anybody is interested I have a front slide opening window out of a demount I scrapped a while back.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We own a truck camper and talking to a previous owner of a truck camper last year, he said as long as you could communicate with the people in the rear then it was not a problem, so you travel with the rear window of the cab and the front window of the camper open, but they must also be wearing seatbelts. Don't know if this is law, just heard it from another truck camper owner.

Nigel and Pamala

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi nigel. if the seats in camper are side facing no seat belts required or if before 07 for adults. have you gopt over the sadness of selling the roof tent. i was out in mine last weekend at a bongo bnash. cheers alan.

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I don't know if it's legal or not but I used to carry passengers in mine, I had a wired in speaker system so we could communicate with each other as my truck didn't have an opening rear window and the de-mountable had a fixed front window.I will ask the question at the Lincoln show this weekend of the sellers of De-mountables who are going to be here, I may not get a straight answer however as they want to sell their product don't they.:winky::winky::winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Its a tough one alright :Doh:

Went to the copshop today to ask and they didnt know either :Eeek: but said they would make enquiries and get back to me (ill stop holding my breath shall I ?? :ROFLMAO:).

Cant see why it wouldnt be legal, the safety aspect is another matter altogether but then again a serious crash in any type of motorhome would end up with you as the target for all the pots and pans flying around and at least the pick up would act as a crumple zone :ROFLMAO:

But after seeing this

YouTube - 1981-1993 Peugeot J3/Fiat Ducato "Wohnmobile" Frontal Impact (45 Km/h)

Its not the pots and pans you need to worry about !!!!

Ill keep you posted if the boys in bodyarmour :Eeek: get back to me :thumb:

no problem with the long rear overhang on that now :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back