Any mirrors out there to help seen in my LHD van (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
Coming into a roundabout in fyfe yesterday I had to get out if the drivers seat to see if the right hand was clear ( no wife with me) Does anyone have any suggestions for an additional mirror etc that could help or any other mods apart from cutting a hole in the side of the new hymer

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
It's the one drawback of being LHD when driving in the UK! Having someone in the RH seat is handy at times, on my own (rarely) but manage to see out of the habitation window more often than not. Squaring up at 't' junctions for LH turns can help, just need to watch your LHS incase some plonker is sneaking up the inside!

I've also been caught out (usually get a honk when indicator goes on) on motorways when changing lane to the right by a small blind spot just off the rear quarter. Only happens when someone is moving past very slow or just sitting in it! Can overcome by leaning forward a tad, but keeping my eye out for small additional mirror. I've had a look at the stick on the glass type in Halfords but don't think they are up for the job!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Fyfes are bananas ? Perhaps they make a mirror that looks round corners ? :)

Perhaps a wee discreet camera would sort it if is that bad ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Positioning when entering Rbt`s is critical with a LHD. I used to occupy both lanes. (32ft R-V) and ignore the "honkers". "Blind spot" mirrors help a little, and with the cost of small camera`s coming down all the time. that could well be an option?. Mounted strategically on (say) the bottom of the Mirror arm and sighed in the right orientation?.

:D Of course if the "inners" win the vote, we will be driving on the left in a few years, by order of the EU Fuhrer(s), so then the issue will go away!:D. But I am still a Brexiter!!.

Pete

OP
OP
D.ten
Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
fife not fyfe, apologies to all the fifettes out there :)

im dfinately voting 'IN'if theres a possibility of lane changes, its actually the best argument ive heard so far..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Positioning when entering Rbt`s is critical with a LHD. I used to occupy both lanes. (32ft R-V) and ignore the "honkers". "Blind spot" mirrors help a little, and with the cost of small camera`s coming down all the time. that could well be an option?. Mounted strategically on (say) the bottom of the Mirror arm and sighed in the right orientation?.

:D Of course if the "inners" win the vote, we will be driving on the left in a few years, by order of the EU Fuhrer(s), so then the issue will go away!:D. But I am still a Brexiter!!.

Pete
This was my solution for driving a RHD in Europe. Camera was £12 off Amazon. I plugged it in to my Garmin. OK for blind spot but not much good at distance viewing on junctions as it's a wide-angle reversing camera. Maybe a Fresnel lens would be better.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's the one drawback of being LHD when driving in the UK! Having someone in the RH seat is handy at times, on my own (rarely) but manage to see out of the habitation window more often than not. Squaring up at 't' junctions for LH turns can help, just need to watch your LHS incase some plonker is sneaking up the inside!

I've also been caught out (usually get a honk when indicator goes on) on motorways when changing lane to the right by a small blind spot just off the rear quarter. Only happens when someone is moving past very slow or just sitting in it! Can overcome by leaning forward a tad, but keeping my eye out for small additional mirror. I've had a look at the stick on the glass type in Halfords but don't think they are up for the job!
Try these: I've used them on two different MHs so far

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Used to teach HGV artic's in one of my past lives.
And the best we could come up with was to approach over to one side of your lane and at the last minute swing the nose (of the vehicle) over to the other side of the lane.
This will reduce the angle of your disadvantage.
Mitch.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No compromise the hole is the best long term solution
CA_02191317081642-X3.jpg

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I fitted a small pioneer fish eye camera inside of passenger sliding window that is connected to the radio headset as I have a separate reversing camera monitor. So just use the rear view camera port on the headset it works a treat and when the wife is with me I can switch it off. We have a LHD Hymer Exsisi

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
fife not fyfe, apologies to all the fifettes out there :)

im dfinately voting 'IN'if theres a possibility of lane changes, its actually the best argument ive heard so far..
I heard the government have plans to change over to driving on the right to align with mainland Europe.
And just to make sure we get used to it, they are phasing it in gradually over a 2 year period.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back