Lost jobs but still got our van scotland wild camping advice please. (1 Viewer)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello really sorry to hear this news, horrible when these things happen, love your positive attitude, Scotland is perfect for that so many places to wild camp . Skye is worth a visit all car parks free beautiful scenery and the cost of the Ferry's exceptional value now.. Enjoy and relax Scotland is made for that. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Although I wildcamp most of the time I can't give specific advice about places as other than knowing where I am at a given time I don't keep sat nag locations etc. What I would say though is just get out there and enjoy it all, beware of midges though as you may find there are more than just the two of you enjoying each others company.
Maybe you could try asking irnbru for specific locations as she is Scottish.
Enjoy the trip.
Norman.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Try loch morlich, close to aviemore. We went into the campsite but noticed quite a few vans just using car parks at side of loch. Otherwise just go along the coast and stop where your fancy takes you. Most of all, enjoy.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
There are many places across Scotland, I'd heartily recommend turning sharp left when you get to the top of the M6, just turn onto the A75 & make for the Galloway Forest Park. Its an undiscovered
Corner of Scotland. Sounds like you've had an awful time & Scotland is wonderful for recharging your batteries. A gentle run along The Raiders Road is not to be missed. Glen Trool is superb for wild camping & you wouldn't regret it. Lots of pubs will happily allow you to stay over in their car park if you buy a meal or have a drink.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful time.

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
Hi @pigginchilli - sorry to hear your news
We will be heading off round Scotland too in 10 days time - loosely following the NC500. We have two campsite stops planned. One at Sango Sands, Durness and the other at Findhorn Bay Caravan Park. The rest of the time we plan to wildcamp and are just going to play each day as it comes.
Also I believe that the Scottish schools don't break up until June 24th so technically you will still be in the "quiet season". I'm sure someone will correct me if that is wrong
If you plan to head out to Applecross, some funsters have suggested it is better to approach from the north so you might want to go anti-clockwise? I don't think it matters really but there are other NC500 threads with the details on here.
Also the midges on the west coast are apparently something else! So you might want to stock up on Avon's Skin So Soft, Smidge and all things Citronella before you head off!!
Lastly, we've armed ourselves with OS Maps from the library - useful for spotting potential wilding sites
Happy travels

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Hi @pigginchilli - sorry to hear your news
We will be heading off round Scotland too in 10 days time - loosely following the NC500. We have two campsite stops planned. One at Sango Sands, Durness and the other at Findhorn Bay Caravan Park. The rest of the time we plan to wildcamp and are just going to play each day as it comes.
Also I believe that the Scottish schools don't break up until June 24th so technically you will still be in the "quiet season". I'm sure someone will correct me if that is wrong
If you plan to head out to Applecross, some funsters have suggested it is better to approach from the north so you might want to go anti-clockwise? I don't think it matters really but there are other NC500 threads with the details on here.
Also the midges on the west coast are apparently something else! So you might want to stock up on Avon's Skin So Soft, Smidge and all things Citronella before you head off!!
Lastly, we've armed ourselves with OS Maps from the library - useful for spotting potential wilding sites
Happy travels
Hi i wish we were that organised! signing on tomorrow in consett, no matter what happens our van will be the last thing to go, steve and nade.

patnlee

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspitit
Exp
I moved down from a croft in Kinlochbervie (just south of Durness) last year and there were always vans dotted all over the place in summer. I think most of the "no overnight parking" signs that were in layby's have been removed so a lot of wild pitches available. Near KLB is Oldshoremore beach which is probably the best in the area and the carpark has a public toilet. Turning off the main road at Rhiconich and heading towards KLB there are several grass areas and a particularly nice layby at Achriesgill. Just south of Durness there are a couple of excellent stops overlooking the kyle but watch out for hollows when you leave the road. Scenery just gets better as you head down the West coast. Probably help with a few other areas if needed.

Midges are just arriving (mum still lives there so she keeps me informed...), I used smidge when working outside one summer and never had a problem. Watch out for ticks as they can be really bad news, tick remover essential !.

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
Aw bless you both x
Best advice is just to head up there and enjoy the beautiful scenery and the warm hospitality.
You never know ....... every cloud .......?
Give us a shout if you're still up there in a fortnight!
Sharon x

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Hi i wish we were that organised! signing on tomorrow in consett, no matter what happens our van will be the last thing to go, steve and nade.

Please try and keep your chin, s up.
I have a business that has slowed to a crawl this last year,
and it might sound daft but I wish it would all end.

Frightened, yes I am, but then it would give me the kick up the arse
I have needed for the past few years.

I would sell my soul rather then our MH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
When i was full time farming i was lucky to get a week off
I used to do a 24-hour-on-call, 7-day-week, 52-weeks-per-year job (animals of course!) and then when I moved into 'normal' jobs I just couldn't get the hang of days off - it wasn't till I actually STOPPED working that I began to realise that life was for - well - living, enjoying, maybe even doing stuff for ME - so you're right, take this time to enjoy yourselves, your van, and each other. Make fabulous memories. Scotland's a great place for that.
Another vote for Loch Morlich as well as the west coast. If you can, climb Stac Polaidh - the most fantastic views from the top, and a neat little car park at the bottom.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Enjoy your life you only have your youth and health for a short time . Keep the van plenty of campsite jobs going

Reactions: CWH

Deleted User
You wont have any problems wilding for 3 out of 4 nights. That is what we do when we go to Scotland. If you do turn west after hitting Scotland then I can recommend three immediate places
Gatehouse of Fleet - Stay in main carpark. Local shopkeeper said we were welcome.
Newton Stewart - Main carpark, you will share it with Lorries overnighting.
We stayed at Kirroughtree forest park centre and paid the £4 per day. The disabled heated toilet is open overnight.
In all of he above, we did spend money locally.

In summary, there is absolutely no problem wild camping as long as you are not near the cities or south Loch Lomond. The more you do of it the less you worry about it until it becomes the natural thing to do.

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Oh dear. Sounds so much like the situation we are also in. After years of dreaming of one day buying a MH, by an unlucky/lucky chance a critical illness insurance payout enabled us to do just that. No sooner had we done that husbands work (oil industry) has stopped dead. Like others on here have said, and us also, the van will be the last thing to go!
Have a wonderful time on your travels - you only live once. :):):)

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
forgot to say, if you do go along the A75, try Portpatrick. big car park at lighthouse. our first ever overnight when we got the van last year. Probably still bits of the rear lamp cluster on the wee bollard as my wife was saying, "keep going, plenty of room yet!"

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
image.jpeg It's easy to say. But just look forward not back and be positive. I'm sure things will be ok. Been made redundant twice now it's a step to a better life. On wild camping we headed to Scotland this week because of the trouble in France and it's bloody fantastic. No plans. Don't book sites is my advice can't believe some of the places and views we've had and free(y) good luck

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Pigginchilli.
Enjoy Scotland and your time with each other.
Remember, if you are not actually moving, you are not spending money on Diesel, so take your time and the money lasts longer.
You now have time to think and plan and draw breath without a deadline to work to..
Maybe for the first time in your lives.
Every cloud does have a silver lining, you just have to find it !!
All the VERY best to you both.
Mitch..

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Thank you for all your kind and supportive replies, Even though things have been better we consider ourselves very lucky to have each other, our dogs and van, and my wonderfull father who we are staying with who would also disown us if we sold the van!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
forgot to say, if you do go along the A75, try Portpatrick. big car park at lighthouse. our first ever overnight when we got the van last year. Probably still bits of the rear lamp cluster on the wee bollard as my wife was saying, "keep going, plenty of room yet!"

Ah the ancient art of "parking by ear" lol, I bet the air was blue?

Excellent advice on Portpatrick, the whole of the Mull of Galloway is just made for wild camping & a trip to the southern edge of the Mull (Scotland's most southerly point) & stroll to the lighthouse or beyond, you can watch 5 separate tides converging on one area of sea. The huge whirlpools are a sight to behold.

ZZRMike

Free Member
Jun 1, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Just waiting for ours .
Exp
So sorry to hear your sad news, been there a few times myself when i was contracting . So i thought id share a wee jem of a place we found during our biking days , i have the sense of direction of a dead pigeon so every journey is a total suprise, goggle map Mellon Udrigle, its way out on the west coast , when we were there we had to dig our own s**t pit to empty the toilet , its that basic, but the veiw and the peace were outa this world . Thats the only gem im gonna share , anymore info will be regarded as top secret and for face to face coms only ,lol. Oops lolled again .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back