Air Suspension?? (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Hi. I need to raise up the chassis on the rear of our bessacarr to help entering our driveway.
Would air suspension raise the chassis or only the body?

OP
OP
bluesurf989
Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
Ideal. Have you any idea how much?
And many thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bluesurf989
Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
It is Alko, £1600 wooow!!

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
This info is from last year but just in case....
I think op said his van is already at 3850kg, and only change required is to raise rear axle weight.
So am I right in thinking v5 will not need changing?
But you will need a qualified engineer to produce a new weight plate for the van AND a Design Weight Certificate.
Alko torsion bar axles can usually have their load increased by adding air suspension or possibly using torsion bars from a higher rated axle if they are available.
Tyres will need correct load rating as well.
When I checked having air suspension for an alko added last year all suppliers insisted on fitting compressor as well, except Marcle who did not have any alko kit available at that time.
Best price I got was from Glide Rite 01428 751711 / Carl leake 07764 271 445 of £1245 inc vat fitted. I looked around their workshop at Liphook, Hampshire and they have all facilities needed to do this work.
Having visited 3 companies it is obvious that they all fit similar kit apart from Marcle/Dunlop which is clamped to swinging arm, the others are bolted which entails removing the hub.
Martin
ps you will need to check my comment about v5 changes if not raising MGW

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have just bought this kit off ebay.. a few other funsters recommended it..
Not fitted as yet as been tied up with rallies this and next week but plan to fit soon..

WHOOPS... Just read about the Alko bit so this wont be any good..

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
That looks a good buy Tonka - even shows you how to fit it in the pictures (y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
That looks a good buy Tonka - even shows you how to fit it in the pictures (y)

Here is the kit..
Once I finish dancing at the soul meet it will be my next task before Stratford

DSC_0427.JPG

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Think i may be ordering one from the same seller, i noticed he does the same kit for the Renault Master - Let me know Tonks how it was fitting it (y)

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Here is the kit..
Once I finish dancing at the soul meet it will be my next task before Stratford

View attachment 108968
I bought the same kit but I also had another gauge/valve so I could fill each bag separately, it was only another £20

Mike

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I bought the same kit but I also had another gauge/valve so I could fill each bag separately, it was only another £20

Mike
@taffybloke i'm thinking on getting this kit as well , how did you get the 2nd gauge ? did you e.mail them or do they have a listing for the 2nd gauge.
Also what advantage does it make being able to set each sides pressure separately ?

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Hi @Bart, I bought and fitted the same kit along with 2 gauges, all you need to do is email them (address is on the ebay ad) telling them that you require the kit with 2 gauges and they'll list it for you.

Pete

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
@taffybloke i'm thinking on getting this kit as well , how did you get the 2nd gauge ? did you e.mail them or do they have a listing for the 2nd gauge.
Also what advantage does it make being able to set each sides pressure separately ?

As @Tykatem said just email them.

As to why two gauges. Two things for me. You can inflate/deflate individual sides to assist with levelling the van and with each side being separate when you go round corners it is more stable as you are not transferring air from the loaded airbag to the unloaded airbag.

Mike

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Think you'll find that even with one gauge both bags are on separate lines on my previous tracker the gauge could be used for either side and then a valve for each side could be closed.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Ordered mine from of e-bay from slovenia, came with twin gauges and metal 10 bar compressor £290 including shipping one week to get here . From a company called r-adventure, Good quality kit at £290 but no english instructions.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ordered mine from of e-bay from slovenia, came with twin gauges and metal 10 bar compressor £290 including shipping one week to get here . From a company called r-adventure, Good quality kit at £290 but no english instructions.
have you got an e.bay link from your purchase history :)

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Link Removed

try this at the moment they are not selling another but it cannot harm to ask them

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Got the same kit on our van - you will be surprised how damn easy they are to fit...You would think for such an upgrade would be really technical or hard to do but in fact the complete opposite !

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have the Dunlop system on our Fiat PVC and I just let it down to 1/2 bar and then pumped it up to 6 bar and it raised it 2 inches on the rear wheel arch.

I hope that helps (y)

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
This is where we got ours from ......

Link Removed

Same supplier as Tonka & taffybloke. Its posted from eastern europe (Poland I think), absolute doddle to fit.
I pump ours up to between 4 - 5 bar whilst standing in storage, so that the rain drains freely off the roof.

Pete

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Think you'll find that even with one gauge both bags are on separate lines on my previous tracker the gauge could be used for either side and then a valve for each side could be closed.

Not on this kit. It comes with a T connector after the gauge so fills both bags at the same time. If you order the extra gauge the T piece is omitted and extra tube is included.

Mike

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
As @Tykatem said just email them.

As to why two gauges. Two things for me. You can inflate/deflate individual sides to assist with levelling the van and with each side being separate when you go round corners it is more stable as you are not transferring air from the loaded airbag to the unloaded airbag.

Mike
because the pipe between the bags is so small, transfer between bags on roundabouts and corners should be minimal. the inertial force is only active a few seconds. I agree that this will happen if parked on a slope. plus 2 separate lines as you say will greatly aid levelling when pitching up. plus it takes some of the movement out of the suspension when moving around at the back of the motorhome

the first system of this type I helped fit was on a friends recovery truck he was building. it allowed the back suspension to lower the tail to the floor removing the need for ramps. then a blast from the compressor tank and it raised up to ride height. Mind you, we used the airbags used in articulated lorry trailers. this was some years before the advent of air ride being advertised for motorhomes and people said it couldn't work. amazing what you CAN do if you have the tools and an idea

as for how much lift any airbag can give to the rear overhang is restricted by the suspension travel and the distance from the bag to the rear of the vehicle. Standard fiat ducato suspension has less travel than you may think. 2 or 3 inches upwards travel at the rear wheel arch will give up to 4 or 5 at the rear valance or towbar if fitted on an average van

bear in mind my experiments with this were 30+ years ago, but the theory remains sound

what bothers me with the eastern european kits is the bags are less durable than the more expensive dunlop bags. The last lot I looked at on a van were showing signs of perishing after 18 months. think they are made by a company called rubena if i recall correctly. yes they do basically the same thing but i question the long term durability of the cheap option

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back