How much! (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Well we got an earlier Tunnel home from France this morning and made our way back to Portsmouth to get the ferry back to IOW. We were booked on a late ferry and asked if we could get on earlier one. Yes we could BUT they charged us an extra £22!!! What did Eurotunnel want? 7 euros for us to get an earlier train. Did we pay Wightlink the extra? yes because we just wanted to get home as we were so close and there's nowhere close you can wait in a moho without going all round the houses to Southsea. Eurotunnel dix point Wightlink nil !!!!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
When they know they have a good grip on your delicate bits they know how to squeeze. We've suffered in the past. In fact not long ago I was quoted so much I got on the internet ( free at Calais departure ) and booked a new ticket cheaper. The pirates are still thriving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Always found iow ferry dear, is there a way of making it cheaper?
We get a discount if we book through CC or C&CC that's about the only way to get it cheaper. To be fair it's a good discount using C&CC especially but Wightlink do very little to make it cheaper.
Love the IOW and living here so moving not an option. Just have to let off steam about ferry fares now and again!!!
Thanks for listening

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We used Red Funnel for a trip to the I.o.W. a couple of weeks ago. On both the outward and homeward sailings we were put on an earlier ferry at no extra charge. The Solent is quite an expensive stretch of water to cross at any time though.
Brisey.

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
We used Red Funnel for a trip to the I.o.W. a couple of weeks ago. On both the outward and homeward sailings we were put on an earlier ferry at no extra charge. The Solent is quite an expensive stretch of water to cross at any time though.
Brisey.
We've never been able to get a discount with Red Funnel

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Luck of the draw.

If the tunnel crossing you took had been €75 dearer than the one you originally booked that's what you would have been charged. If it had been the same price or cheaper you would have paid nothing.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Having been born and raised on the Island we considered moving back there for retirement but every time we wanted to go away in our motorhome we'd have to incur the high ferry costs - so we opted for the south coast on the mainland instead.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It was always dear, even when I was a child we couldn't keep going back every year even though we all wanted to. Mom and Dad would wait until the years when one room or another didn't need redecorating, then we could! Used to go to the last Guest House on the corner at the start of the cliff 'path' to Shanklin - opposite the beach slipway down the cliff to the beach at Lake. ("Inishowen" LOL)

Happy happy days! Walks through the Battery Gardens, bus from Sandown up to Browns Golf Course, a sojourn around the pitch and putt for mom & dad - and crazy golf, followed of course with yet another Brown's delicious ice cream. Heaven was here. Every day for a fortnight .......

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Always found iow ferry dear, is there a way of making it cheaper?
Yes they call it a bit of competition, all the time they can screw the punter they will. Eurotunnel do charge sometimes but they have to remember the ferries down the road, it was even better when the French ferry was going before the vested interests killed that off, and the prices went up and stayed up.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Brisey.
Only ever use redfunnel ,wightlink are more expensive and rigid in their times of crossings,no leeway without a further payment .

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Should have been done years ago & toll free ,same as the Skye bridge is.
But the Skye bridge along with all other bridges in Scotland are now toll free but in England and Wales the tolls remain, e.g. Humber bridge, QE 11 bridge, Severn bridge (OK, only one way) etc plus tunnels are chargeable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back