papaken

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
stuck here at Sablis had overnight in a municipal sports hall with 60 teenagers, site flooded up to knees and unable to get out until at least tomorrow if the levels go down

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Flaming June eh! Well with 30 teenagers you can party the time away!

Deleted User
Where is that, not on google maps?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I looked on the Meteo France website this morning and red weather warning flashed up for today in that region, it was for flooding on the Loing. Departements Seine-Marne and Loiret.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Makes you think, how many aires do we seek out because they are near water? I won't be complaining about the bit of rain we have had here in Italy. Forecast looks damp until the end of the week then drying up from Saturday. Next week looks much better.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
This is in 'real time', the volume of water in cubic metres per second at Salbris.... The lines across are the previous floods...

This will be a once in a 100 years event perhaps...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is in 'real time', the volume of water in cubic metres per second at Salbris.... The lines across are the previous floods...

Beating all records it seems. :unsure:

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Phew! I thought it was wet down here near Biarritz but!! I had been planning to go there, but the French fuel strikes were a bit off-putting so silver lining time. I do hope you are safe and no damage has been done to your MH. Keep safe and return soon!

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
I think I have to agree with the european press who are blaming the bad weather in France and Germany on the amount of 'hot air' over the UK at present from the increasing amount of 'bullsh*t' being produced!!;)

No help for 'papaken' though.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Hmmm - stayed at the aire at Souppes sur Loing on the way south last week - very pleasant spot by the river. :) Don't think I'll be going there on the way home at the weekend. (n)

Papaken - hope you don't suffer too much.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I think I have to agree with the european press who are blaming the bad weather in France and Germany on the amount of 'hot air' over the UK at present from the increasing amount of 'bullsh*t' being produced!!;)

/QUOTE]

So ! they been reading what CMD, Osbourne and other liars have been saying too?:hi5:

OP
OP
papaken

papaken

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
In the municipal sports complex where we were evacuated to the water level has entered the foyer now so dread to think what the level is like at the site .

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes, we've had once in a hundred years floods that happened even worse within a couple of years.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Mixed up.
Yes we've had 'once in a hundred years flood' that repeated or worse within a year or two.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hope you van is going to be ok? But at least you are all safe.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
In the municipal sports complex where we were evacuated to the water level has entered the foyer now so dread to think what the level is like at the site .

There is a river measuring centre at Salbris which you can access via the internet.

It shows the height in metres of the river over the last 72 hours...Look if you wish but it doesn't look good..

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We moved house last October having lived in a house built 6 feet of the ground on stilts on the bank of the River Trent. We kept waders and a dinghy ready for a quick decamp. Many's the time in the 10 years that we lived there, that the water was lapping the joists. It was waist deep up the access road to the house, we had to walk/paddle the dinghy over 1/4 mile to take our little dog for a pee. Cars were left in the village on the dry side of the flood bank. The EA raised the flood bank recently to a supposed 1 in a 100 year flood but if/when that happens it would be curtains for the house.

Fortunately we never had the water in the house during our tenure but Im sure it will only be a matter of time before that happens. Idyllic location but a bit of a bugger in flood. Never under estimate the power of water.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

!5 years ago it was at 170/sec. Reminds me of the 'Gota Fria' here on San Wenceslas day 2012. The Puente before Lorca has 5 tributaries feeding it & the water flow was that collosal that it destroyed the measuring devices.
http://murciatoday.com/dams-save-lives-and-property-says-chs-president_15973-a.html

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Wonder how the OP is fairing? The link to the "floodometer" suggests the water has just peaked. A nightmare.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Last evening we sat and discussed whether we stopped at Salbris for a night or two on the way north in the next couple of days.
Glad we decided on another route.
Hope the OP and his van are OK as well as the site owners, who are always so pleasant and helpful.

Richard.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Arrived yesterday at the Municipal in Troyes and had to put a wheel on a grass pitch to avoid an irate Belgian tugger who couldn't find a stable pitch.
Thanks to Milenco mud traction thingies I got out of the mire only to cover the front near side with glorious mud!
I'd polished the bus to perfection on Sunday . Last time we were here was as tuggers 10 years ago when I had to pull a German motorhome out of the mud with our Sorento, what goes around comes around

OP
OP
papaken

papaken

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
Informed today that of the 4 English couples evacuated 2caravans are water filled and possibly will be written off.
Also 1 mobile home doubtful and has to be left.
My motor home I moved back on the pitch yesterday although electric off and fridge content will be knackered.
The water was only a covering of the front off the pitch so I may be fortunate but I would still need the level at the gate to drop significantly to allow me to drive through.
The site owner is distraught as not only is her site affected but her home is also, see has said they will closed now till the 1st July at least.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
So perhaps as well as you could have hoped for!! Tough on the other couples and the owner...Living next to a river as we do, perhaps 125 miles south of Salbris, is certainly an experience when it rains as it has the last few days, luckily so far the French surveyors in 1750, when my mill was built, got their levels perfect so the water falls away from the mill onto the 'flood' plain opposite...The sheep got their feet wet but we kept dry!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Informed today that of the 4 English couples evacuated 2caravans are water filled and possibly will be written off.
Also 1 mobile home doubtful and has to be left.
My motor home I moved back on the pitch yesterday although electric off and fridge content will be knackered.
The water was only a covering of the front off the pitch so I may be fortunate but I would still need the level at the gate to drop significantly to allow me to drive through.
The site owner is distraught as not only is her site affected but her home is also, see has said they will closed now till the 1st July at least.
Very glad for you. You might be lucky on the 'fridge contents and be able to have a meal to celebrate your escape yet. I wouldn't trust any chicken or fish after a couple of days turned off but anything else should be fine.

OP
OP
papaken

papaken

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
Just back from site and motor home ok.
Started it up and after a fair bit of black wet soot it turned white with a trickle of water, after a while seemed like light smoke/steam but ran it for 10mins and hopefully OK.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good news, I would take it for a longish trip, as soon as you can, thirty minutes at least so the exhaust can be thoroughly dried out. Sounds like only the exhaust was flooded but if you have drum brakes at the rear they will probably need stripping down and any silt cleaned out, which could probably be left until you get home. :) There is also a good chance water will have got into the wheel bearings I fear. Only taking them apart will tell. Whether you can or want to claim on the insurance is a moot point. Flood damage may even be excluded as an Act of God. :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back