Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Can anyone suggest a good place to park our RV for a few hours in Castle Douglas for a few hours, on a Tuesday in June? Within walking distance of the town centre?

We are 30 ft long and a bit wider than most vehicles, and weigh about 7 tons (see avatar). The kind of thing that some rude people on this forum might refer to in a derogatory way as a "gin palace" or "hotel on wheels" ;)

The car park by the TIC is the only one I'm aware of - if that was quiet we might fit in there by taking up several spaces, assuming that's allowed.

I've emailed the TIC and D&G council but not yet had a reply.

Steve

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
upload_2016-6-1_8-54-3.png

this is where we have parked, follow signs for the camp site, google maps don't go right into the car park

we are only 8m long and by parking our overhang carefully we do not block anything and only use a single bay

It will depend on time of year I guess, but we have used it several times

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks, David. I did wonder if there was any parking down there or whether that was just the camp site entrance. As you say, Google isn't very helpful there - which added to my suspicion that it's access for the camp site only.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks, Jim. Your map link looks like Tesco, but I see where the market is. There's a sale on that day, though.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I would recommend where David suggests as you should fit in there no problem, if you can't as your coming in to CD from the Dumfries end passing Tesco take the first exit off the roundabout and you'll find a couple of small industrial estate which I think parking should be ok.

Also along the high st and turning for the football ground can't remember which turning it is but it's a couple past post office on the right. ( Threave rovers ) as the football season is finished you might get in here.

Also if you head down Queen st towards the parking David mentions instead of turning for campsite just drive past turning and park on main road across from bowling green, you often see coaches parked here when dropping of tourist or bowlers it's a really wide part of road and won't cause an issue.

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
You do realise the TT is on in June don't you?
Yes, but it finishes on the 10th June, and we will be in Castle Douglas on the 14th. I suppose the A75 might still be a bit busy by then, but I'd have thought most people would be home by then? Do returning bikers tend to call in at Castle Douglas on the way home?

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back