Stuck in the mud or how to avoid! (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
After 5 years without a problem I managed to get stuck on the grass just south of Madrid (of all places) on our way home from Benidorm. I couldn't believe how stuck it was with the front wheels just spinning on the grass! Had to be towed off!

We're off on a bit of a tour around Norfolk later this week using mainly CL's on grass pitches and with all this rain over the last couple of days I'm a bit concerned.

We're only a small Hymer b544 with modest storage space so what, if anything, can I carry to help out should this sad state of affairs happen again.

PS...I do have a tow rope!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have a Fiat and wet grass stops it dead. At Bill's fix-it meet I could not even pull off going down hill.

So I will be watching this thread with interest.

ps: what site were you on we are on our way home going north across Spain and hope to stop at Aranjeuz.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
ps: what site were you on we are on our way home going north across Spain and hope to stop at Aranjeuz.

That very site Mike! Although it was back on April 6th so should be a bit better now. I got stuck as I was pitching, to be honest I could have chosen a better spot as on inspection the ground did seem as bit soft. I then pitched with front wheels on road which is easy enough to do.

PS There are about three toilet blocks at Aranjeuz but one is heated and in far better shape that the others. It's the one nearest reception and with the MH service point behind it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
That very site Mike! Although it was back on April 6th so should be a bit better now. I got stuck as I was pitching, to be honest I could have chosen a better spot as on inspection the ground did seem as bit soft. I then pitched with front wheels on road which is easy enough to do.

PS There are about three toilet blocks at Aranjeuz but one is heated and in far better shape that the others. It's the one nearest reception and with the MH service point behind it.

PPS It was the site warden/groundsman that pulled me off (no pun intended). It took him all of 2 minutes but gave him a 5 euro tip to which Ginny said "why did you tip him...it's his fault we got stuck". I let her carry on thinking that!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Get two old bread crates and cut the bases into two strips that can go beneath the drive wheels to stop / reduce wheel spin. Put your vehicle into second gear or reverse when moving and apply the throttle gently; wheel spin chews up the ground and makes it worse for everyone. If the ground is very soft (sand or mud), you might find that reducing the tyre pressures helps but most people won't reduce the pressure enough or know how to handle a vehicle with tyres down to 1.5 bar and end up rolling the tyres of the rims).

Tow ropes only work if you can get the other end to a vehicle that can pull itself and you on the surface that you are both driving on.

Ideally, you want to park on a slight slope with enough space to roll out of trouble and avoid making gear changes or turning direction. Or have someone to pull you out.

If all else fails, wait for the ground to dry out.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
If there's even a hint of dampness we park with the front wheels on pads .. we use fiamma ones but anything will do.. we only got stuck once and that was because I was a dingbat

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
we only got stuck once and that was because I was a dingbat

Yes, I think that applied to me on my one occasion and hoping a good recce will help avoid any future mishaps!

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
What tyres have you got on the van?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When parking on grass unless it is rock hard always put bread crates under all 4 wheels.
A lot of people make the mistake if only putting them under the front driven wheels. The rear wheels then sink into hollows making it far more difficult for the front wheels to pull the van out. Also find the Traction Plus helps a bit.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
we only got stuck once and that was because I was a dingbat
Agreed. :( I became stuck in the mud on August 29th 1969, in Manchester Register Office. :cry: For many years, my wheels skidded on the wet grass of Site Matrimony, as I frantically changed gears in a pointless effort to extricate my sad self from my self made dilemma...:cry::cry:
It was a failed attempt from the very start. My mother in law had tied my rear axle to a tree, ensuring my stuckness to this very day. And to ensure that I didn't untie her rope, she obtained a shotgun certificate.:notworthy:
Eventually, I resigned myself to the view, switched off the engine, and retired to the habitation area, condemned to looking out of the window forever, whilst sitting at the dinette. :(:(

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I always try to reverse first - without letting the wheels spin. 'Rock' the van a few times to extend the groove under the rears. It doesn't always work but most times it does if the ground isn't too soft.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back