May 31, 2016
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
None as yet...
Exp
Dumb noob
Hi folks

I don't own an MH yet but have suddenly got curious about the idea and I'm considering picking up a small van. I like the idea of a classic VW but the good ones are way out of my price range, and while I could possibly get into at not-completely-knackered T25, I suspect I might be better off with a less stylish but more practical (from a driving point of view) Japanese offering.

I've looked at Bongos (rather small), like the look of some Granvias, and as of today I'm starting to wonder if a Hiace hi-top might not be a good all-round compromise. I really like the layout of some I've seen, particularly a Yokohama one.

Ultimately I have in mind European trips, so while I'm in no hurry I'd like to get there and back in reasonable comfort and preferably on my own wheels :)

Oh I have been looking at conventional motorhomes too, including older Hymers and such, but I think I'd rather have a bit more useability at the destination end i.e. ability to go off sightseeing for the day or even just to the shops without lugging a big bus around, if you see what I mean.

Anyway I shall have a read around here and no doubt come up with some (probably daft) questions at some point.

Cheers!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
theres not many places you wont get to with a ducato or transit panel van conversionlots of room if its just you or you and partner

OP
OP
M

minimoog

Free Member
May 31, 2016
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
None as yet...
Exp
Dumb noob
theres not many places you wont get to with a ducato or transit panel van conversionlots of room if its just you or you and partner

I'm sure they're a good base but I haven't yet seen a panel van conversion I've liked. I think it's the lack of windows.

Wait that's not quite true - those rustic campers that couple in Herefordshire make are pretty cool.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
:hiya2: Minimoog, welcome to the fun (y)

If you're not sure about any aspect of the forums, check out Broken Link Removed

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
welcome animated smiley.gif

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm sure they're a good base but I haven't yet seen a panel van conversion I've liked. I think it's the lack of windows.

Wait that's not quite true - those rustic campers that couple in Herefordshire make are pretty cool.
Welcome! Have a look at other PVCs, there are lots, like our Murvi, which have windows everywhere. We have three in the roof alone, including a really big one. It is sometimes, from what I've seen on here, home converted vans which seem lacking in the window department, commercial ones are generally much better. You can get some good conversions at 5.5m although the extra half metre to 6.0m gives a lot more usable space inside. We have no problems driving where we want in our van and for extended trips I wouldn't want anything smaller although you can certainly get them. I've seen a couple of good ones based on the Mercedes Viano, which is a people carrier.

Here's the first one I found on eBay. Just a suggestion on model, not a recommendation for this specific one. :)

OP
OP
M

minimoog

Free Member
May 31, 2016
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
None as yet...
Exp
Dumb noob
Wow that's a lot of hellos. Thanks all :)

Welcome! Have a look at other PVCs, there are lots, like our Murvi, which have windows everywhere. We have three in the roof alone, including a really big one. It is sometimes, from what I've seen on here, home converted vans which seem lacking in the window department, commercial ones are generally much better. You can get some good conversions at 5.5m although the extra half metre to 6.0m gives a lot more usable space inside. We have no problems driving where we want in our van and for extended trips I wouldn't want anything smaller although you can certainly get them. I've seen a couple of good ones based on the Mercedes Viano, which is a people carrier.

Interesting. Probably too rich for my blood, but I'll look into them. Thanks!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back