Does anyone have an EZA fitted? (1 Viewer)

sandysau

Free Member
May 30, 2016
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer TSL 704 Low profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, soon to have an EZA fitted at Roadpro.
There must be a few of you no with it already fitted.
I wondered what your experience with it was, good or bad?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That is a whole lot of lolly !!
No personal experience but LiPo batteries are extremely good..
Do please make sure if you have solar panels fitted the control unit is correct for the LiPo unit..
Rather expensive oops if it isn't !

Me, I would rather replace the 3 110aH leisure batteries every 3 years or so.. I will still be in front of the fiscal game 10 years down the line !

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Do please make sure if you have solar panels fitted the control unit is correct for the LiPo unit..
Me, I would rather replace the 3 110aH leisure batteries every 3 years or so.. I will still be in front of the fiscal game 10 years down the line !
According to this they sound pretty good but this is a salesman talking so how much of his patter is true I wonder. Salesmen estate agents car dealers can be prone to a bit of exaggeration so how good are they.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

sandysau

Free Member
May 30, 2016
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer TSL 704 Low profile
Exp
Since 2012

Totally agree about the cost, it's almost impossible to justify. But it is a bit more than just a straight battery replacement.
Regarding solar panels it has 400 watt MPPT solar regulator built in so shouldn't be an issue
Wow, 3 leisure batteries. I have 2 so will be saving 25kgs and a bit of room.
I keep telling myself all this so I don't cry when I hand my credit card.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi, soon to have an EZA fitted at Roadpro.

I do wonder why. Unless you are down to your last few kg of load capacity you are not improving your camping. The basic equation applies to all storage methods, if you can't replace the energy you use then sooner or later the lights go out. How you store it is immaterial.

Spending loads of ££££ I would suggest fuel cell is possibly a better investment.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Hadn't heard of them before this.

Somehow I am unconvinced not only about the economics, but also about the battery life. If they can't get it right with electric vehicles (e.g. leasing batteries for hybrids) then I have my doubts about a French company that I have never heard of before being technologically ahead of the likes of Nissan, Honda and Toyota

Be interesting to hear how you get on

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The other obvious issue with this type of battery is that when they fail when you're 000s miles away from home it won't be a case of just popping to the nearest garage to get a replacement to get out of trouble.

The company can give whatever guarantees they want but that won't be any use when you find yourself a weeks travelling away from home with no power.

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
The other obvious issue with this type of battery is that when they fail when you're 000s miles away from home it won't be a case of just popping to the nearest garage to get a replacement to get out of trouble.

The company can give whatever guarantees they want but that won't be any use when you find yourself a weeks travelling away from home with no power.
I thought he said on the DVDs that you could as the leads are left behind and he could move the unit with him
Neil

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I thought he said on the DVDs that you could as the leads are left behind and he could move the unit with him
Neil

I thought lithium batteries required the standard charger to be replaced?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Love the fact that the customer is making the claims, so nothing substantiated "Down to 30% and drove 25 miles and it was back to 100%"

One wonders how this amazing feat was achieved? :LOL:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Please, what is an EZA?
Hideously overpriced magic French beans (haricots magiques Francais)

According to the blurb, the box incorporates a dedicated DC – DC charger

Neil
I recollect that it was either in the video or from their website that this box simply replaced the existing leisure battery, so presumably when it goes on the blink (and hoping it doesn't turn the motorhome into a firework display in the process) you could just pop in a regular leisure battery to get out of trouble. Kind of defeats the whole object of the exercise.

One wonders how this amazing feat was achieved? :LOL:
He must have an alternator the size of a Merlin aircraft engine :rolleyes:

Whatever next? Tesla motorhomes offering 20 miles between charges?:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
According to the blurb, the box incorporates a dedicated DC – DC charger

So would alterations be required to a standard motorhome installation to take the existing charger out of the loop? If not how do you stop it from trying to charge the new box either when the engine is running or when on EHU?

That would make dropping a lead acid back in in an emergency harder than it sounds.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The Dometic eStore 100 Ah unit retails at £1250 plus VAT and is still eye wateringly expensive. I accept that you can discharge to virtually 100% so simply fit a 2nd leisure battery and discharge 2 x 50% for the same amount of useable power

Much much cheaper and you build in redundancy. One battery packs up, take it out of the equation and continue your trip

Many people will last for weeks on end with a single lead acid battery and a decent solar set up in the Summer when it is sunny.

I would love to know how long the gentleman can wild camp, off grid in the Winter

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
@NickNic I can only guess that you are perfectly correct. If so, that kind of makes a mockery of their claim that it simply replaces the battery. Not that any of their other claims make a lot of sense to me, to be honest. As Eddie points out the stupidity of the (owner's) claim that you can replace 70% capacity of such a supposedly massive battery over a 25 mile drive?

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our 345 Ah battery bank will charge at up to 90 amps from the Sterling A2B charger. That's from 80% discharge to full in 3.5 hrs.

Not as compact or as quick as claimed by EZA but a darned sight cheaper with that all important redundancy built in.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Lithium batteries are beasts. Every one normally has built in protection because if they totally discharge they will not recharge and then there is current protection and maybe over voltage protection. I have one such board next to me, removed form a phone battery, it measures 53mm x 4mm, contains 12 components of which 2 are multi leg ICs. A masterpiece of miniaturisation all to stop these fragile Li batteries from causing real trouble.

Lithium cells work on 3.7V and charge to 4.2V whereas LA is 2V and charge to 2.4V ( 6 of them 12V and 14.5V ) so it is clear that the two technologies are not directly compatible. 3.7 x 3 = 11.2V or 3.7 x 4 = 14.8V either under or over the LA system.

They are great for power tools and RC vehicles where size and weight is important. Great too for passenger aircraft and cars/bike where again size+weight is everything.

But a MH leisure battery ? I can't see the point.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I must be missing the point somewhere.

I have one 110ah leisure battery, 2 x 100w solar panels and a decent MPPT charge controller.

Engine and Leisure batteries last the 3 or 4 months of the UK winter I don't use the van, with no hookup.

When I go away I don't often spend time on sites with hookup and I have never run out of juice!

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Has anyone now got one of these fitted please?If so have you had any trouble with losing Bluetooth between the EZA and the app??

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Any Li-Ion battery I've seen that is intended for use on a nominally 12v charging system simply replaces the existing lead-acid battery. All the necessary management and conversion electronics are built into the Li-On battery. Changing from one to the other (and back again) won't be an issue.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I rather like the complete package idea of the EZA but it is expensive.

There does seem to be some confusion about lithium batteries, they are not all the same. Li-ion (blamed for Boeing Dreamliner problems) is not the same as Li iron or LiFePO4 as used by EZA. LiFePO4 is a safer technology, not only less combustible but doesn't contain the chemical nasties of the earlier lithium batteries. Panic not Sandysau.
http://www.newcastlesys.com/blog/lithium-ion-vs-lithium-iron-batteries

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back