Roomy vanner stuck a lot on grass!! (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Having a motorhome that can get stuck on Tarmac!! I was wondering about these ere plastic grid squares you can buy on fleabay.
£24 for 12, amounting to 3 metres. If I put one under each wheel when on grass the van shouldn't sink and you can I guess lay a path to get you over wet grass? Anyone ever tried it?
Just a thought?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not exactly sure what you mean, do you have a link or eBay item number?

If they are just the square mesh things to go over a grate they may be a bit lightweight. Many people (myself included) have bought (some have purloined) bread trays and cut the sides and ends off. They are pretty sturdy but can suffer from the attentions of heavy vans :) I've bought from brands-equipments in the past.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Normally it's a bread crate job which by now most people use. You borrow two bread grates from a shop and cut them in half after cutting the sides off. Park your van on the grates and you will not sink in. I carry an extra pair just in case I need to use them as a launch pad as well.

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
I think the OP is referring to something like , which are normally used to create a base with either gravel or soil filling up the holes.

I think they would do what he requires but don't know how they compare with bread crates (apart from being thicker)

Cheers

Trevor

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Having a motorhome that can get stuck on Tarmac!! I was wondering about these ere plastic grid squares you can buy on fleabay.
£24 for 12, amounting to 3 metres. If I put one under each wheel when on grass the van shouldn't sink and you can I guess lay a path to get you over wet grass? Anyone ever tried it?
Just a thought?

Not tried your tiles but the theory is sound. FWD MHs are a pain in the bum on wet grass.

Whatever you do do not drive down hill on grass, chances are you'll never get up again.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Rooky Vanner
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Fair comment JGH and also where does one put them!!
Decisions decisions... However as George Burns once said "sure as hell beats the alterrnative"

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
eBay item number:
These are the boys... Launch pad sorted!!

Thanks for the link, we are thinking about doing our drive if we win big on the lottery or premium bonds and the link gave another link for stuff that would be ideal!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Slap a pair of Hankook tyres on the front !
We used to get stuck EVERYWHERE !!
Even on tarmac like your self..
We changed from Mich Campervan to the Hankook and never ever got stuck again.
Even pulled us through the 6" deep quagmire that was the gate at Newark a couple of years ago ( while almost everyone else had to be towed out ! )

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We used them on our driveway for the RV that weighs just under 7 tonne so would definitely be strong enough.

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
Rooky Vanner
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Hankook and grids. Ready for my first hillclimb!!
Glad to help Puddleduck. nice to return one having had so much help in the past...

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Not tried your tiles but the theory is sound. FWD MHs are a pain in the bum on wet grass.

Whatever you do do not drive down hill on grass, chances are you'll never get up again.

My front wheel drive motorhome is rear wheel drive if I put it in reverse and go backwards!

OP
OP
Rooky Vanner
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
onemananhisdogs got is sussed! Backwards it is! So... if you go down hill only forwards you should back up the hill no problem?
Think I buy tiles as well, and Hankook tyres!! and a tractor on Aframe at back aahhhh... but not when reversing up hill? Bread trays!!
Jesus! Motorhome for sale! Too stressfull!!!!!!!!!

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
onemananhisdogs got is sussed! Backwards it is! So... if you go down hill only forwards you should back up the hill no problem?
Think I buy tiles as well, and Hankook tyres!! and a tractor on Aframe at back aahhhh... but not when reversing up hill? Bread trays!!
Jesus! Motorhome for sale! Too stressfull!!!!!!!!!

It does help to reverse if the van has "settled". Although my post was a bit of a dig at the "rear wheel drive is best brigade" what better than having all the weight of a heavy diesel engine over the drive wheels if reversing a fwd?

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I bought 5 of those 'Ground Guards' from Tool Station. Why Five? Coz I've put one at the door of my greenhouse!

I carry them, but have only used them to park upon a few times. They take 250 tonnes m2!

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back