snowboarding soon cant wait ?? (1 Viewer)

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
hello to everyone ? cant wait the snowy season is near and i will be heading off across france to the alps or to were ever the snow maybe ? anyway am after some money saving tips off all you good people out there , and i no you all no how to save money while motorhoming ? i want to no the best times to go ? am thinkn over xmas and into jan and feb ??????? and would also like to no how much you would buget for each week as i have met people in france who were living on £100 to £150 each week in there motorhome [ is it possible ????? ] any tips or pics that people have to help me plan my trip or anyone out there at the same time and would like to meet up just let me now ?? cant wait to get some good feedback from all you good people ? thanks keithLink Removed

Cavendish

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
Hi Keith,

We've never been to a ski resort during the winter but have thought about it. Have a look on this website Welcome to MotorhomeSki.com it's got lots of excellent advice.

Enjoy your trip! :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi we have been a few times now and love it. Like you we cant wait for the snowy season to start again especially as I have bought some new skis.

We went over New year and that was a really good time to go in terms of not so busy. February is our normal time as we are stuck to school holidays and that can be really busy due to the French having there holidays at the same time.

money saving? well the site that claire has posted for you is a really good one and you will see a couple of my reviews on there. Staying on aires is the way to do it if you want to do it cheaply. There are many good aires close to swimming pools and other resources and some free. If yu have not got one already you will need a good generator and I prefer to use gaslow system for my gas,although for a long period of time finding gas in the mountain can be tricky.

so go forth and enjoy yourself, keep em waxed and see you on the piste in February. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
money saving? well the site that claire has posted for you is a really good one and you will see a couple of my reviews on there. If yu have not got one already you will need a good generator and I prefer to use gaslow system for my gas,although for a long period of time finding gas in the mountain can be tricky.
:thumb:

Paul can I ask which parts / Aires in France you stayed at, I would like to read some of the reviews as we are hoping to use our van for skiing too but our gas system is stopping us at the mo, we do have a genny though which we had forgot about using instead:Doh:

OP
OP
dogmanlpool

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
Hi we have been a few times now and love it. Like you we cant wait for the snowy season to start again especially as I have bought some new skis.

We went over New year and that was a really good time to go in terms of not so busy. February is our normal time as we are stuck to school holidays and that can be really busy due to the French having there holidays at the same time.

money saving? well the site that claire has posted for you is a really good one and you will see a couple of my reviews on there. Staying on aires is the way to do it if you want to do it cheaply. There are many good aires close to swimming pools and other resources and some free. If yu have not got one already you will need a good generator and I prefer to use gaslow system for my gas,although for a long period of time finding gas in the mountain can be tricky.

so go forth and enjoy yourself, keep em waxed and see you on the piste in February. :thumb:
thanks great pics enjoyed lookn ? cant wait to go now haha keith ::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi Champs,

we have used several. If you go on the site that Claire posted there are some great reviews and pictures of both sites and aires. La tania is a good one that springs to mind.

Without gas or with only a small gas supply you will need to be near a town where it is readily available. You may have to get a converter to allow you to attach a french bottle. Easily made up, you could then stand that outside your van and use it allowing you to get a big one.

even with a genny you will need a plentiful supply of gas. Contary to what some say, no one has a problem with the use of gennerators whilst skiing but as respect to each other generally they are switched off about 10-11pm but bearing in mnd its Winter and that its dark at 5ish your leisure battery would take some action too.
Of course I dont have to mention the proper winterproofing of your van sa im sure you would already know that, but dont trust what the manufacturers tell you about being fully winterised especially with British and Italian made vans, as when you are up in the mountains on clear days, you are likely to watch the temp drop to up to -30, we have seen -26 back in Feb and TBH were warm as toast in our Adria with no freezing problems except for I broke the wate tank handle meaning I couldn't empty the waste:Blush:

we are off again in February for a fortnight and I cant wait, I would ratehr have a winter hjoliday than a summer one. I have just got to shed some weight since stopping smoking and get some fitness levels back to make the most of skiing, especially trying to keep up with George and Harley flying down the slopes at breakneck speeds:Eeek:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Thank you for your advice and info

When we had the van converted last winter we had extra insulation etc put behind the wall panelling, floor, ceiling etc with skiing in mind

The fresh water tank is inside the back door and wondered if one of those thermal covers on it be enough, the grey water goes into the hog master which lays on the ground at rear also

Would the drive away awning we now have if place at the back to shelter these be enough ?

We have been to La Tania (chalet) lovely resort easy and free bus service to other ski areas

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
We've done this a few times. But beware the water tank although insulated may still freeze up. I resorted to 5 litre water containers inside the van. Also the waste froze up, and like a plonka I undid the tap over the drain, and to my horror, a plug of ice and the inards of the tap shot out and down the drain. :ROFLMAO:
Typically a bloke standing right next to me said "You shouldn't of done that" I nearly decked him there and then!!!!:Doh:
Propane gas is best used as it "Freezes" if this is the correct terminology, at a lower temperature or is it "Boils"? Anyway it works better than Butane.

Not blowing the proverbial trumpet, but, have you got snow chains and ski holders. There is a link to ebaygum, at the moment and someone not too far from here is selling such items. Link courtesy of Pappajohn. eBay Seller: davetthedon: Vehicle Parts Accessories, Home Garden items on eBay.co.uk

ATB
DaveT

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Sorry Dogmanlpool meant to say :welcome:to the fun site in my post :Blush:
and that we have seen many m/hs when we have been skiing in resorts that use the towns municipal sites and aires as both haganap and Claire mentioned previously as that is our way we would love to do in the future

You will enjoy it!:thumb:

OP
OP
dogmanlpool

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
Sorry Dogmanlpool meant to say :welcome:to the fun site in my post :Blush:
and that we have seen many m/hs when we have been skiing in resorts that use the towns municipal sites and aires as both haganap and Claire mentioned previously as that is our way we would love to do in the future

You will enjoy it!:thumb:
thanks champers cant wait its not snowing quick enough for me ? when you goin over there then ? am goin hopefully 1st jan or there abouts or am guna try and be there for newyear so if ye there around mite meet up thanks keith

OP
OP
dogmanlpool

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
Hi Champs,

we have used several. If you go on the site that Claire posted there are some great reviews and pictures of both sites and aires. La tania is a good one that springs to mind.

Without gas or with only a small gas supply you will need to be near a town where it is readily available. You may have to get a converter to allow you to attach a french bottle. Easily made up, you could then stand that outside your van and use it allowing you to get a big one.

even with a genny you will need a plentiful supply of gas. Contary to what some say, no one has a problem with the use of gennerators whilst skiing but as respect to each other generally they are switched off about 10-11pm but bearing in mnd its Winter and that its dark at 5ish your leisure battery would take some action too.
Of course I dont have to mention the proper winterproofing of your van sa im sure you would already know that, but dont trust what the manufacturers tell you about being fully winterised especially with British and Italian made vans, as when you are up in the mountains on clear days, you are likely to watch the temp drop to up to -30, we have seen -26 back in Feb and TBH were warm as toast in our Adria with no freezing problems except for I broke the wate tank handle meaning I couldn't empty the waste:Blush:

we are off again in February for a fortnight and I cant wait, I would ratehr have a winter hjoliday than a summer one. I have just got to shed some weight since stopping smoking and get some fitness levels back to make the most of skiing, especially trying to keep up with George and Harley flying down the slopes at breakneck speeds:Eeek:
hello haganap were is there nearest ski resort in france to travel to from england thamks keith

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
thanks champers cant wait its not snowing quick enough for me ? when you goin over there then ? am goin hopefully 1st jan or there abouts or am guna try and be there for newyear so if ye there around mite meet up thanks keith

We cant wait for the snow either been looking out for the ski mags, October I think they come out

January is our favourite as it is the soonest, quieter and some good deals then:clap: did do the week leading to Xmas a couple of times but found it hectic on return for the festivities :Blush::Blush:

OP
OP
dogmanlpool

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
We cant wait for the snow either been looking out for the ski mags, October I think they come out

January is our favourite as it is the soonest, quieter and some good deals then:clap: did do the week leading to Xmas a couple of times but found it hectic on return for the festivities :Blush::Blush:
so where you heading 2 ? have ye made any plans yet ? i dnt know were to go yet , guna head for the sun after it though ? just bought a talbot hobby its a old 1 but deisel left hand drive and made in germany . so shud be winterised ? keith

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
hello haganap were is there nearest ski resort in france to travel to from england thamks keith

Hi Keith,

This is the closest,
Link Removed

we have visited here and its ace, however I think its about 300miles if not less but the roads are not too hot, meaning you could toll an autoroute to the alps probably not much longer. We normally give it a visit on the way out or in. Its lit till 10pm with a great ski park and some good aires to stay on.

Only problem is that is in the vosages mnountains, not too high but a remarlkable snow record. Earlier in the year it was brilliant but hten again it was the best recorded snow fall inthe alps since 1983, you could of ski-ed in calais it was that good:thumb:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
so where you heading 2 ? have ye made any plans yet ? i dnt know were to go yet , guna head for the sun after it though ? just bought a talbot hobby its a old 1 but deisel left hand drive and made in germany . so shud be winterised ? keith

Yes plans made for January to Morillon France but alas going in the car due to sorting out the heating etc (ok I am ducking from all the cabbages being thrown at me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:booked in July brilliant discount then:thumb::thumb:) Just have to work out how I convince o/h that as we are getting old now we should go twice this next season try in the van .... if only I could convince him ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
Hi There,

I can't wait to try out skiing from our new motorhome in feb.

We love this area where you can even ski inside an extinct volcano! Have been visiting the region for several years now in summer and winter. It's...

MASSIF du SANCY, l'Auvergne en version originale

It is in the Sancy region, in the Volcanic National Park in Puy de dome, Auvergne but ssshh don't tell anyone as it is a bit undiscovered by the Brits.

It has a huge area for Motorhomes on the other side of a frozen lake but from here you can easily walk to the slopes.

Don't know how well you ski but it does have a rep as a good 'off piste' area and you can see a nice pic here-

http://http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=16615

Superbesse is definitely the better area as it's sunny and south facing with a nice feel to it.

It's not the Alps but I much prefer it.

Happy skiing:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
thanks for that cherok

I have looked at this area before. Looks real good, Can you see you motor home whilst skiing?

Ive also read that the snow fall is not great for this area, although of course this year was the best for years. is this true? Might give a look on the way down to our usual resort that we like- Pralognan, great resort with no brits at all bar the odd 1 or 2 and no English spoken :thumb: No brits on the piste so to speak.:Doh:

cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
Hi Haganap,

Yes you can see your motorhome while skiing::bigsmile:

That's part of the reason that I love it there so much, it is really different to the Alps. It is 1850m or thereabouts and the resort is about 1100 or so?? don't hold me to that... So, it doesn't have the vastness of the Alps but the view on a sunny day is jaw droppingly beautiful. You have the steep rise of the Puy de Sancy and then you can see for hundreds of miles in all directions including down to the lake and the motorhome area.

You can ski the whole Sancy area including down into Le Mont Dore when the liason is open and I think it's a bit more challenging over that side. Can't remember how many kms of piste there are with the both around 100kms maybe?

Snow last year was amazing!! Year before was not brilliant as with most resorts. I have been for around the last 6 years in feb and always managed to ski for the 2/3 days I am there.

Well worth a try::bigsmile:

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
Hi Haganap,

Yes you can see your motorhome while skiing::bigsmile:

That's part of the reason that I love it there so much, it is really different to the Alps. It is 1850m or thereabouts and the resort is about 1100 or so?? don't hold me to that... So, it doesn't have the vastness of the Alps but the view on a sunny day is jaw droppingly beautiful. You have the steep rise of the Puy de Sancy and then you can see for hundreds of miles in all directions including down to the lake and the motorhome area.

You can ski the whole Sancy area including down into Le Mont Dore when the liason is open and I think it's a bit more challenging over that side. Can't remember how many kms of piste there are with the both around 100kms maybe?

Snow last year was amazing!! Year before was not brilliant as with most resorts. I have been for around the last 6 years in feb and always managed to ski for the 2/3 days I am there.

Well worth a try::bigsmile:

Small world init! This is where we go quite a lot, liked it so much in 1990ish bought a place out there. Near Aveze. One year the snow was so high it nigh on buried the restaurant and hotel at the top of Mont Dore at easter!! The french had all gone home, and we had the place to ourselves. One other year it had all gone by easter, and the nursery slope had some patches, which took a bit of skill to stay on!!
I beleive now they have built a new lake and this supplies the snowblowers.
There is even camping allowed on the carpark, but its quite exposed up there, so precautions are needed.

cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
Small world init! This is where we go quite a lot, liked it so much in 1990ish bought a place out there. Near Aveze. One year the snow was so high it nigh on buried the restaurant and hotel at the top of Mont Dore at easter!! The french had all gone home, and we had the place to ourselves. One other year it had all gone by easter, and the nursery slope had some patches, which took a bit of skill to stay on!!
I beleive now they have built a new lake and this supplies the snowblowers.
There is even camping allowed on the carpark, but its quite exposed up there, so precautions are needed.

It is a small world Dave:Smile:

Aveze, is that where they make the 'Gentiane' ? Never tasted it but always fancied trying it. Maybe not though because I might get to like it too much!

Can't wait to go back in feb for a week. Am determined to do the Mont Dore side more as I tend to stick over the sunny side:Cool:

Was over the Mont Dore side for a look in August and it is looking really good with the lake now.::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
i have met people in france who were living on £100 to £150 each week in there motorhome [ is it possible ????? ] thanks keithLink Removed
Hi keith, why not possible after all if you stay on an aire it is free, even with electric silly cheap, so providing you cook local produce and only drink in moderation why would it cost even half that amount. But if you must have caviar and champagne every day it will cost you more. When I see what some people spend on food a week it makes me cringe.:Eeek:

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
It is a small world Dave:Smile:

Aveze, is that where they make the 'Gentiane' ? Never tasted it but always fancied trying it. Maybe not though because I might get to like it too much!

Can't wait to go back in feb for a week. Am determined to do the Mont Dore side more as I tend to stick over the sunny side:Cool:

Was over the Mont Dore side for a look in August and it is looking really good with the lake now.::bigsmile:
Hi Cherok
No its not that Aveze, don't like that stuff either, it tastes like earwax!! this one is just down the road from La Bourboule, towards Tauves and then over to the Gorge over at Messeix. They used to have 4 bars in 1990, but now non on a regular basis. They open one up on the 15th August for the bank holiday fete, and flower carnival. The floats that the locals make are quite something, all the flowers are made from crepe paper, and take them hours to make.
They have balltrap usually around that date too. I was having a go when someone next to me said in plain english, "you like that second barrel dont you", i was totally gobsmacked, the guy had been talking in french to the locals, and i was convinced he was one of them.
another time the local gendarm was introduced to me, and asked me if i could arrange delivery for some flowers to his girlfriend who lived in england. She turned out to live around the corner to my mom. 700 miles away.
Lovely area in both the winter and summer.
ATB
DaveT

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back