Gabriel

Free Member
May 19, 2016
Derby
Funster No
MH
considering
Exp
Just bought an old mobile library. Yes it's big, but has to be. My partner is wheelchair user with no lower body function and when we try to get away there is always the showering and loo problem, so going to put a wet room into the conversion, that she can use. It has to be big enough to move her wheelchair around. I'm looking for thoughts that anyone might have on the build.

The wet rom needs to be waterproof, obviously, with the whole floor as the tray, might need more than one drain so that it will empty when not completely level.

The hot water storage will need to be a lot more than most m-homes because she takes a while to shower (could use a sort of trigger switch on the shower head to reduce use but not ideal.)

Water heater needs to be gas and or electric though I could use two separate heaters if that is more practical/cheaper

Also any ideas on high loos.

Very grateful for any comments.

thanks guys

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Hi Gabriel and welcome to FUN, you have your work cut out there but it will fall into place. All your needs are out there it's just finding them.

Have a search through the self build thread, there are plenty of tips and techniques in there to getyou thinking.

Keep us up to date with progress and plenty of photos

Good luck

Bobby

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That is all perfectly doable. I made my wet room by using plastic sheeting that sign makers use. I bonded it to ply wood before trimming with a laminate trimmer.
The edge butted up perfectly and I could have got away without any corner or edge trim.

You could do the same then use a marine ply base probably 18mm properly sealed then tile it with high grip floor tiles.

The other option for the floor is to get a stainless steel one made, I believe that is what @JJ did for his passion wagon?

You could put as many plug holes in as you want using either method.

@Jim the boss has set up a self builders forum.

Some extremely experienced people visit regularly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi and :HelloThere:

Have seen a few converted mobile librarys on our travels, including a couple as far away as Morocco. They would appear to be ideal for what you need and as they were built to carry lots of (heavy) books you shouldn't have too much restraint weight-wise.

Are you doing this yourself or getting professional help? Sounds like a feature for George Clarke's Amazing Spaces!

Do keep us up-to-date and we wish you all the best in your project.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Have a look on the link below. It feature "Mermaid board" It is an excellent product and one we have in our house.
http://www.mermaidpanels.com/

It is also entirely possible to fiberglass an entire enclosure or around the bottom where water traffic is at its greatest. Then use a face product over the top.

My experience is in traditional housing but pretty much all of it is completely transferable in a bespoke build or a repair to existing.

Be happy to advise and chat over the phone if it helps .

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We have an eco camel shower head in our RV and also at home. They work really well by drawing air though the shower head which gives a good powerful shower but uses less water. In the RV we can have a proper shower, inc washing hair Wooten running out of hot water or turning the taps on and off.
Ecocamel UK | Powerful Showers, Powerful Savings
https://www.ecocamel.com

OP
OP
G

Gabriel

Free Member
May 19, 2016
Derby
Funster No
MH
considering
Exp
Thanks for all of the replies. I have used mermaid board on our campsite, it's stood up well. I'll consider the GRP idea, would certainly be waterproof. Have thought that I'll make the floor flat with a drain in each corner, so complete level not needed. Also use ecocamel heads on the campsite they do give the impression of a much more powerful shower. Allan and Loren, do you have hot water storage tank in the RV or an instant source?

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
You could look at the non slip flooring used in house wet rooms, think it's called Altro? You could also have a look at Coachbuilt GB to give you some layout ideas. They refit for the disabled and have a variety of ideas for doors etc in wet rooms. Will follow your build with great interest. Speak to @Terry hes a mine of information and has done a conversion for a wheelchair user.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We have hot water storage tank which is 6 gallons. It heats quickly with LPG or electric or both for a booster. Some RVs have a water heater that is linked with the engine so heats the water as you drive but ours is separate.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'll consider the GRP idea

Many years ago I made a bespoke shower tray for a caravan with GRP..

but rather than lining the floor which leaves the rough side up.. I made wooden mould from plywood.. painted it with undercoat paint then rubbed it down with wet and dry paper. I repeated this process several times until it looked like glass.. the final polishing was done using car wax..

Laying up.. first a spray with a blue plastic (can't recall the technical name) to stop the gel sticking to the mould, then a gel coat with a brown dye added, and then two layers of glass matting, two drains were moulded into it at the same time..

I had never done this sort of work before but the result was excellent.. a lovely smooth tray that looked very professional... it also had a soap dish and the tray came up the sides of the wet room by about 3 inches..

The most work was making the mould.. laying up only took an hour or so..

I bought the materials and got advice from a local yacht builder ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back