Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
A question, NOT a criticism!

Why have an extra set of tyres, brake shoes/pads, cables, etc to worry about.
Our Lunar is 4250kgs Max gross weight, plenty of payload.

A swift on the site we are at is 2 ft longer than ours at 26 ft.
So is it length, weight, or what?
Is it safer on a long vehicle, if so why don't buses have 3 axles?

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Burstner elegance 5000 max gross weight.almost 1000 payload. 30ft long but drives like a car 3ltr 160 BHP 24 MPG and yes some coaches have three axles. Each to there own, if we all liked the same it would be a boring world. Happy travels. (y)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Don't have one never driven one but maybe they handle nicer . They look dead cool to me and I could never be bothered to worry about a couple of extra tyres.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
In what way are they easier to handle please

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Our Lunar is 4250kgs Max gross weight, plenty of payload.
'Plenty of payload' is a moveable feast. What is plenty for you may not be plenty for others. Hence, as full timers, we elect to have a van with 1300 kg payload - and that happens to be a tag axle.

We certainly don't worry about the extra two wheels - life's way too short. :D

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hymer B694G
Tag axle 25ft long very small overhang 5000kgs gross massive payload nearly 1500kgs.
Beautifully stable to drive 25mpg super easy to manoeuvre under 3 mts high huge garage easily takes 650cc motorbike plus all the stuff we need for 3 months.
Tyres last for ever don't believe the rubbish about scuffing.
See plenty of coaches on 3 axles.
So.
Why wouldn't you?:eek:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
No we're class 2 always have been in 5 years.
FWD so what.
Park on grass use it in the Alps skiing every winter never been stuck.:)

Class 2 for us for the 12 years we have lived here too :) Only rip off for us is crossing the Tamar Bridge. 6 pounds !!! 7.5 tonne truck with 4 wheels the same toll as a car ! Fair ? I don't think so :-(

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Friends of ours were Class 4 on the French toll road they strayed onto just a few weeks ago, possibly because they are a touch over 3 metres as well.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No we're class 2 always have been in 5 years.
FWD so what.
Park on grass use it in the Alps skiing every winter never been stuck.:)
You might pay class 2 but you are class 4 at over 3500kg and 3 axles, I don't pretend to know how the automated tolls work out what to charge but it seems to work better for some than others.

Martin

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
You might pay class 2 but you are class 4 at over 3500kg and 3 axles, I don't pretend to know how the automated tolls work out what to charge but it seems to work better for some than others.

Martin

Height seems to be the difference . Less than 3m and tgey appear to charge classe 2

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
In what way are they easier to handle please

More wheels on the road , less rear overhang and more axles to spread weight over, not affected by sidewinds as much, or passing trucks etc.. plus more brakes doing the stopping etc. And even my A class is like driving a big car, no wallowing even when (over) loaded, doesnt bottom out on G-outs on motorway etc .

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Phil G sums it up.

Peage tolls in France are height detected as well as axles in some cases. Look for the small beam detector on the approach that measures your height.
In any case, the difference is negligible in real terms.
We know, we live here!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't know about negligible in real terms, class 3 is about double class 2 and class 4 is more again, I think when you are paying more in tolls than fuel it's starting to get a bit silly.

Martin

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I don't have anything against them and might buy one.

Another factor is you are restricted to a garage/MOT bay that can handle them so you may have to go much further for your servicing.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I don't have anything against them and might buy one.

Another factor is you are restricted to a garage/MOT bay that can handle them so you may have to go much further for your servicing.

You might have to , but travelling further to a place that is actually set up to do them is a better bet than going to a place that does them 'cos they just fit'

When a friend of mine set up on his own, he figured there was a market for doing the bigger stuff, and when he took on the unit next door, he got a ramp that would take a 7.5 tonne weight and vans with a tag axle as his requirement. i have never been there and not seen a motorhome on any given day , when he did the cambelt on my Euramobil, it was good to know that the guy doing it had done plenty , and knew what he was doing.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I think when you are paying more in tolls than fuel it's starting to get a bit silly.

Martin

Totally agree and the very reason we bought this van, we had our eye on 3, this one a Concorde and a N+B.
Didn't like the Concorde layout, bigvan silly little lounge, loved the N+B but the length and especially the height put us off.
Every van is a compromise just depends on your own priorities. Ours was big garage for motorbike over 1 tonne payload, fixed bed, full size bathroom, and large lounge. At 7.6mts thats about as short as you're gonna get that lot in.
What we really want is the facilities of an RV in a 6.5mt van but unfortunately the makers of the Tardis don't make motorhomes.:)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Our drive way limits the length of what we have if it was a little longer we would go tag

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Totally agree and the very reason we bought this van, we had our eye on 3, this one a Concorde and a N+B.
Didn't like the Concorde layout, bigvan silly little lounge, loved the N+B but the length and especially the height put us off.
Every van is a compromise just depends on your own priorities. Ours was big garage for motorbike over 1 tonne payload, fixed bed, full size bathroom, and large lounge. At 7.6mts thats about as short as you're gonna get that lot in.
What we really want is the facilities of an RV in a 6.5mt van but unfortunately the makers of the Tardis don't make motorhomes.:)
You shouldn't really abbreviate my post to suit your own purposes but I can't be bothered any more, I think it's up to anybody who fancies a tag axle MH to do their own homework on toll classes and make up their own mind rather than take our opinions as fact,

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Should have said @Forestboy I couldn't fault your short list, the Flair is tall and quite long but it is a well put together van and I wanted RWD chassis (just one of those irrational foibles)

Martin

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
You might have to , but travelling further to a place that is actually set up to do them is a better bet than going to a place that does them 'cos they just fit'

When a friend of mine set up on his own, he figured there was a market for doing the bigger stuff, and when he took on the unit next door, he got a ramp that would take a 7.5 tonne weight and vans with a tag axle as his requirement. i have never been there and not seen a motorhome on any given day , when he did the cambelt on my Euramobil, it was good to know that the guy doing it had done plenty , and knew what he was doing.

An MOT bay set up for single axles cannot do tag axles - my favourite garage for my Motorhome let me know this and I would prefer to keep using him as he is local - its the rolling road built into the floor to test the brakes etc - not just a question of the ramp! - just so that you know!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back