Random questions and campervan etiquette (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Hello all.

Well I've just booked my first trip away in the camper. Not going too far so just down to Edinburgh as I have a Stag do there next weekend, I also have family down there so they are coming round for a cuppa.

Anyway I have a few questions that have been niggling me so here they are....

1. What are the usual problems if the TV isn't working. I was told when I bought it that I would just need to turn on the maxview booster and it will pick up a freeview signal. I've tried everything and can't get it working, checked all connections, booster light is on but when I try to scan for channels nothing comes up and it doesn't show any signal strength at all. Any ideas? I have the little flying saucer shaped aerial on the roof and it seems in good nick.

2. With the temperature at a balmy 12 degress today (y) I had all the windows open to give it some air and one of the side windows just popped out. It seems to slip in to the groove on the outside of the van but surely it should be fixed in place? I got it closed and locked but a bit feart to open it again now. What if I get to Edinburgh and the temp has rocketed to 15 or so? :eek:

3. 3 isn't too much of a problem but what do most of you do for bedding? Do double bed sheets usually fit over the beds after they have been transformed at night, sleeping bags maybe? Is there places that could make up elasticated sheets fitted to size for the different beds?

Oh and the etiquette part. Had it out for a run and got a few waves from fellow campervaners, I take it it would be frowned upon when I didn't return the wave? I wont make this mistake again, we are all one :D

Thanks muckle.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I gave up on the fixed to aerial. It wasn't on the side of the vehicle whete I really wanted the to to be. £4.99 plug in aerial from Argos. In fact I se these on both TVs in the house, no problems.
Windows--- can't help but someone knowledgeable will!
Bedding. I found it easier to sleep on one duvet, covered by another. A duvet cover us the same size as a sheet to wash.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi and welcome!

1. I'm no expert but I think you have to twiddle the aerial to point at the transmitter. There should be a handle underneath it.

2. Can't help but it shouldn't do that.
Something is worn, misaligned, bent or corroded. One of those. :)

3. Duvets every time for us and yes you can get made to measure fitted sheets. We have them but can't remember where from. Try searching on the forum.

4. Not everyone waves, I was waved at by a Frenchman this week. I was so shocked I nearly drove off the road!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Jonic.co.uk for sheets etc made to measure is one company
If it's a flying saucer aeriel then its omnibus directional and you can't point it.
Yes wave at everyone.
Duvets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
1. The arial you have is pretty useless... and will only work with a strong signal.. It's omnidirectional and doesn't 'twiddle'. If you have connected the TV correctly and no signal then you may be out of the transmitter range..

If TV is 'mission critical' ... upgrade the aerial but you may be better investing in a satellite dish.

2. Window sounds as though it's broken.. go back to the dealer..

3. Gave up sleeping bags with tent camping.. .. Duvet and sheets.. both our double beds are domestic size.. so we can buy fitted sheets off the shelf

4. Gave up waving years ago.. now just a single finger wave at tuggers.. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Cant answer the technical questions but reference sheets we used stretch jersey ones > Great fit. Duvet on top just like home :) If you can't find in shops the Amazon have them

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
4. Gave up waving years ago.. now just a single finger wave at tuggers.. ;)

I will be taking the sleeping bags as backup/just in case. Being a mini self build camper what i did lag im thinking what if i missed something so better safe than freezing sorry

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If you got a fixed bed, you can buy a stretch sheet for the bottom. we got one to fit from Lidl
Get yourself a small portable T V, WITH, a built in Free view box, these generally have a 12volt thingee too
As for the window, perhaps something has seized, try working WD40 here and there, you never know it could work.
Waving? suit yourself, A roads? if it's safe? M/ways? waste of time really, everyone is travelling at warp speed.

BUT!!! You hav'nt touched on the subject of "puffing" (ladies puff, men fart) This can be a touchy subject, especially when locked in the close confines of a M/H. Marriages have been severely strained by this occurance, of course there are experts on Fun that can elucidate further than I.

Just in case Mrs McRangi reads this I am bound to say "Chanel #5"abounds when she "puffs"

The fact that Greenpeace, monitors us when ever we travel is another thing.

Peace and harmony:hi5: !

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you got a fixed bed, you can buy a stretch sheet for the bottom. we got one to fit from Lidl
Get yourself a small portable T V, WITH, a built in Free view box, these generally have a 12volt thingee too
As for the window, perhaps something has seized, try working WD40 here and there, you never know it could work.
Waving? suit yourself, A roads? if it's safe? M/ways? waste of time really, everyone is travelling at warp speed.

BUT!!! You hav'nt touched on the subject of "puffing" (ladies puff, men fart) This can be a touchy subject, especially when locked in the close confines of a M/H. Marriages have been severely strained by this occurance, of course there are experts on Fun that can elucidate further than I.

Just in case Mrs McRangi reads this I am bound to say "Chanel #5"abounds when she "puffs"

The fact that Greenpeace, monitors us when ever we travel is another thing.

Peace and harmony:hi5: !
That's why duvets are so popular. "Puffs" can escape sideways with ease.

Of course, a discrete flap of the bedding will help it on its way - and give you the opportunity to blame it on the dog. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
@rangitira I'm single and ready to mingle and I'm going solo in the camper until I find myself a lucky lady so no need for me to worry about puffs, farts or even follow through.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Normally with tv in a different location you have to tune it into the aerial ,despite many people saying that those type of aerials are useless ,I beg to differ never had any issue with mine after tuning it in to tv....Roy

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
@rangitira I'm single and ready to mingle and I'm going solo in the camper until I find myself a lucky lady so no need for me to worry about puffs, farts or even follow through.
0,,1948559_7,00.jpg

Guys please, hes no one of us. We need tighter border controls im telling you :D

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi @monzer and a belated welcome to Motorhome Fun.

As far as the TV question goes, the two most common problems are (a) to tune it in. Even a few miles up the road can alter the tuning (use the auto-tune if you have it) and (b) make sure the correct source or input it selected. It needs to be 'looking at' DTV or the like. Those Omni-directional aerials aren't brilliant sometimes either. However, you should get something though, even if it's just a snowy image (which makes me think it's source, tuning, or input.

Finally, photo's are a real asset when asking questions on here. For example; post a few pics of your window with your question and someone will give you the answers in a jiffy. From your written explanation, we don't know whether it's an upper hinge broken of some other fault.

PS. If it was 12° in my house, I'd have the central heating on!! :D:D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Hi @monzer and a belated welcome to Motorhome Fun.

As far as the TV question goes, the two most common problems are (a) to tune it in. Even a few miles up the road can alter the tuning (use the auto-tune if you have it) and (b) make sure the correct source or input it selected. It needs to be 'looking at' DTV or the like. Those Omni-directional aerials aren't brilliant sometimes either. However, you should get something though, even if it's just a snowy image (which makes me think it's source, tuning, or input.

Finally, photo's are a real asset when asking questions on here. For example; post a few pics of your window with your question and someone will give you the answers in a jiffy. From your written explanation, we don't know whether it's an upper hinge broken of some other fault.

PS. If it was 12° in my house, I'd have the central heating on!! :D:D

Thanks Wingman, I went to Argos and bought a cheapish indoor aerial and took it home to set up in my camper outside. I kinda got it working the once, the signal showed a strength of about 30% and it said it had found 11 digital channels but once it had finished tuning and I tried to view BBC 1 it popped back to 'No Signal' Then every time I have tried re-tuning it I have never got as far again with no signal strength showing up. I took the aerial inside to try with my TV inside and the tuning hasn't thrown up anything either. The only thing I can think that is wrong is that I am in a poor signal area. Forgetting about it now and once I'm settled in Edinburgh next Weekend I'll give it another go.

As for the windows, I took a couple of photos and I am wondering if the rubber seal on top of the window is siliconed in to the small runner on the outside of the van and over the years it has worked itself free?

35n7ihe.jpg

126718x.jpg

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the bonding on the top hinge has failed. usually caused because the hinge has seized. you need to free off the hinge and glue the acrylic window back into the aluminium slot. I used black sikoflex on the last windows i fixed that had failed like that

Upvote 0
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
@TheBig1 Thanks. It seems the aluminium slot is pivoting freely so I guess it has been seized in the past and the opening of the window has caused the seal to come free so looks like I will have to try what you suggested. Probably better doing all the windows at the same time, I'm sure we will have some suitable mastic type stuff at work that will do the job. thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Try Ikea for sheets - they do continental sizes - we got ours there.
Don't worry about having to open window - it will never get to 15d in Edinburgh :)

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
heres a game for you,,,i play it all the time,,and it makes ME laugh !!!

When you see a motorhome,,wave ,,,if you dont get a wave back shout as loud as you can,, BASTARD!!! its amazing how funny it sounds,,,,,lol I call the game,illegitimate son of a bitch !!!! lol its even funnier if the wife or your company does it,,(especially if they dont normaly swear !! ) lol Enjoy !!!

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Do not spend your time watching approaching Motorhomes in case they wave. Concentrate on your own driving and wave or return a wave only when you are certain it's safe for you to do so. The consequences of concentrating on anything other than driving are not worth worrying about.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base

Yeah you could be right with the gazelle but I'm not going to write it off quite yet as I think it's possibly a bad signal area where it's parked at the moment. Going to wait till the weekend and try again when I take it on it's first trip (first with a new owner anyway). I'm waiting on an email back from a company who make made-to-measure sheets so I'll see what they say and if it's too expensive I'll just throw some extra duvets in. Really can't wait to get away in it, I'm looking forward to it.

Upvote 0

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Yeah you could be right with the gazelle but I'm not going to write it off quite yet as I think it's possibly a bad signal area where it's parked at the moment. Going to wait till the weekend and try again when I take it on it's first trip (first with a new owner anyway). I'm waiting on an email back from a company who make made-to-measure sheets so I'll see what they say and if it's too expensive I'll just throw some extra duvets in. Really can't wait to get away in it, I'm looking forward to it.
Bedding. I wouldn't go through expensive company to order bedding. This is my set up.
My bench seats are rear of van, so I can pack away bed or leave bed made up. To protect the 4 individual cushions I brought 2 double flat sheets from tesco, £8 each I think. Took those to the local sowing lady, and asked for the 4 sections to be covered with removable covers, with elastic. I did not want corners inserted.. as a headache to put back on. After an easy life. When my bed is packed away, I keep these covers on the Cusions, so I don't need to clean upholstery. When the bed is errected, usually long term, I use a normal fitted sheet, double for a 4.6 ft mattress. Mine is only 4 ft, but it fits well.
In winter I do away with the sheet, but still keep the elasticated cheap, easy to remove and replace covers. I use a faux fur double blanket as a sheet,, with elastic hoops on corners to keep it fitted. With double duvet. In minus temperatures, I do away with feather duvet and use a king size faux fur blanket. King size so there is plenty of tuck at foot and one side. With 2 fur blankets, above and below, you need little clothing.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back