12v or 240v TV FOR MOTOR HOME (1 Viewer)

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
What is the difference in power use between a 12v and 240v TV on the battery’s.

My van has 3 x 85 watt solar panels, when i look at the amount the display shows it is putting in to the battery’s it never goes up past 5.0. Am i right in thinking this is because the batteries are charged or should i be seeing what the panels are generating?

Patrick

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Patrick

Very little.

>> never goes up past 5.0.

The panels ( I assume ) are flat on top. We are in UK autumn. 170 watts give a maximum theoretical 14 amps so you will see more in summer with a flat battery.

You would get more if the panels were square on to the sun but no-one seems to go this route, they are cheap enough to throw on another panel instead.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
12v tv every time Patrick.

230v tv on an invertor is soooo inefficient.

solar panel.....on a sunny day turn on EVERYTHING that is 12v powered then see what amps its giving.

at the moment mine is showing around 200 to 300 milli-amps during the day but the batteries are FULLY charged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
can get you a nice 15inch 12v avtex for £150 Pat, used but first class condition.

for me its 12v every time.:thumb:

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Display

My van has 3 x 85 watt solar panels, when i look at the amount the display shows it is putting in to the battery’s it never goes up past 5.0. Am i right in thinking this is because the batteries are charged or should i be seeing what the panels are generating?

Patrick

Gonna stick my neck out here!! Okay while we're at it would anyone(s) like to explain all the stuff going on with charging and amps and all that jazz on the display, which I occasionally look at (quickly I might add!!) in layman's terms. Or could I be referred back to a post in which it may have previously been discussed. Would appreciate diagrams, graphs, pics re same if possible on posts, as well as text. Beam me up!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
can get you a nice 15inch 12v avtex for £150 Pat, used but first class condition.

for me its 12v every time.:thumb:

i HAVE JUST SOLD A 15" AVTEX TO EDDIE! IT CAME WITH THIS VAN.

i ONLY NED SOME GOOD REAR STEADIERS AND I AM ALL DONE!!!!!!!!!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
got rear stedys on the back of my van. Never used them, if you can get em off and they are any good to you there yours. It will redue my payload for start.

we will have a look at Upton barns

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
Hi Patric,
its worth remembering that a portable set is purpose built, with a stronger input signal. That's why a 240v house set never receives as well as a portable. Just come back from cornwall with a mate, his 220v set wouldn't get as many chanels as my 15" Avtex, (he even missed BBC 1) plus running his inverter drain. I checked the 19" Avtex prices on offer on the way down, and they were on offer at £350 the same as the 15".
Rgd's G.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry guys its all a load of tecno babble all tv's run at or around 12-15, volts the only reason portable tv's are dearer is because they asume you have no 240v to choose from and they charge what they can get away with
I dont belive the losses are that significant in the scheme of things, running a small inverter with all those panels running I wouldnt pay the extra for a 12v TV

Given your record of swapping vans Patrick whatever you install fix it in with press studs:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Given your record of swapping vans Patrick whatever you install fix it in with press studs
Geo

Seriously, for once, velcro is a brilliant way of mounting gear you need to shift occasionally, keyboards being one such device.

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Sorry guys its all a load of tecno babble all tv's run at or around 12-15, volts the only reason portable tv's are dearer is because they asume you have no 240v to choose from and they charge what they can get away with
I dont belive the losses are that significant in the scheme of things, running a small inverter with all those panels running I wouldnt pay the extra for a 12v TV

Given your record of swapping vans Patrick whatever you install fix it in with press studs:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

I am determined to keep this one G......... i don't have the money to change again without finance and that just don't happen with me!

thanks mate

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Well i have had a 20" 12 volt TV fitted now, it can run on 12 or 240, combined DVD and USB input so i can use a hard drive to store movies on instead of boxes of DVDs.

It Cost £ 230!

Sold the 15" Avtex to Eddie (family Guy) so its been a bargin!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back