Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Has anyone who maybe 'fulltimers' fitted or had fitted an additional awning rail/track to their motorhome to accomodate a caravan awning? What are the implications? Could it be a D.I.Y job to fit the track?

I don't really want to go down the route of a safari room but want something more permanent than a drive away or sides attached to the canopy. Any thoughts, experiences or suggestions? Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You can buy awning track by the meter.
You could glue to the wall using sikaflex or glue and screw it on.
You will also need to know the precise shape of the chosen awning itself to get the rail in the correct position.
Too tight and it will be under to much tension, too slack and it will flap in a breeze.
It may take a bit of a beating in high wind situations so needs fixing well.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No problem fitting a rail.. I fitted one on my RV for a drive-away ..Sikaflex and s/s self tappers..

I may fit one on my Hymer, as the Wind out awning is not best placed for the Vango Air beam awing I've just bought.. it's too far back, the hab door is outside the awning..

Drive-away awning on RV ..
UVf0kIJngg_XAci4m1YLy32tBXqbF404G9zOLkUVLDYNVaoolsdnHOzU_Kggqn4m-ee8YbN_din8xwz-svG5iP3qqP09wwl0Lmcyfo8gMBILVIDMFxgB7QkgcFsUJLoTMX2XJoLDXaokkRBAdaQK4gnWdbpHuyQIZXZliUN1Rut-wa9F7xrsFXMjofj6mQJCOZfyWURQDDpEmXvvOCbXtrZPLPNvavErCwbJNSPkPXNZioKqM7kjkuKbqCESnPOUvEtCyZnd6LaaZ05WiiVL6QdNEn_urXJb5HZYUfZgqR2gD3a0EZ9nWxm00os-at1eOa3mMEUGvceYmUI-A8V1eT2l7jnqe7jNXmvvkpXBwjCCIwoQ-Te4MPyUyhlKnr8iHujodB2x31QiiH4q4VQKZnR_Et9MencZhFZFhPkKGL5fxHJtdnaT4vrtMKStRTrB5Ckz7p6weWwLxpgUhD30q0eTuu22-CUAGeqYIfNImgoW8O8_nPr5SG4PBllFHriSa9ILp2ujyOJ47oj3BFx_nkx5CFd_XmvoJvGCMRopjMfRx5c4cFgCUKjauj9d8g_RtB5Rtw8R5dpK0eNg0cF0_6HsyUPtU4U=w1600-h1057-no

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No problem fitting a rail.. I fitted one on my RV for a drive-away ..Sikaflex and s/s self tappers..

I may fit one on my Hymer, as the Wind out awning is not best placed for the Vango Air beam awing I've just bought.. it's too far back, the hab door is outside the awning..

Drive-away awning on RV ..
UVf0kIJngg_XAci4m1YLy32tBXqbF404G9zOLkUVLDYNVaoolsdnHOzU_Kggqn4m-ee8YbN_din8xwz-svG5iP3qqP09wwl0Lmcyfo8gMBILVIDMFxgB7QkgcFsUJLoTMX2XJoLDXaokkRBAdaQK4gnWdbpHuyQIZXZliUN1Rut-wa9F7xrsFXMjofj6mQJCOZfyWURQDDpEmXvvOCbXtrZPLPNvavErCwbJNSPkPXNZioKqM7kjkuKbqCESnPOUvEtCyZnd6LaaZ05WiiVL6QdNEn_urXJb5HZYUfZgqR2gD3a0EZ9nWxm00os-at1eOa3mMEUGvceYmUI-A8V1eT2l7jnqe7jNXmvvkpXBwjCCIwoQ-Te4MPyUyhlKnr8iHujodB2x31QiiH4q4VQKZnR_Et9MencZhFZFhPkKGL5fxHJtdnaT4vrtMKStRTrB5Ckz7p6weWwLxpgUhD30q0eTuu22-CUAGeqYIfNImgoW8O8_nPr5SG4PBllFHriSa9ILp2ujyOJ47oj3BFx_nkx5CFd_XmvoJvGCMRopjMfRx5c4cFgCUKjauj9d8g_RtB5Rtw8R5dpK0eNg0cF0_6HsyUPtU4U=w1600-h1057-no
Drive away is easy Jim....only one rail at the top.
The op is talking a full caravan awning with rail going all the way round the wall.

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I can do the d.I. y job but would prefer to use a continuous length of tracking or a minimum of 2 pieces join above the door.
Papajohn, not sure why I would need to know the shape of the proposed awning as awnings are universal. Caravan shapes are all different and whatever size awning is used would fit all sorts of caravans within the size limits.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The rear of the rail on a caravan normally turns horizontal to vertical through a 90° corner.
The front of the rail is at a forward slope, through a lesser angle, following the sloping front of the van.
The awning Windows etc are made to fit that angle and if the rail is at 90°, the same as the rear, the awning end will be deformed and the window will slope down towards the van.
It may not be possible, because of Windows etc, to get the correct slope angle on the rail at the front of the van.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
John has outlined some of the differences between an awning for a caravan and a motorhome.. and possible problems.. points I hadn't considered when I first posted..

This awning is one I considered.. it's more like a caravan awning but has no need for a full rail.. and made by Dorema.. highly respected manufacturer..

it's a 'proper' awing .. steel poles with Ten Cate All Season coated polyester roof and walls.. last a lifetime..
http://www.dorema.co.uk/de/motorhome_annexes/challenger.htm

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
"Super Porch ?" Isabella do a big all seasons awning,that has "Poles and Pads". The pole has a cranked connection at the Top where it connects to the out going roof spar,and this enables you to ..Lever.. NOT TO MUCH!!! towards the C/van/M/home side wall,trapping the Pad,thus forming a draft free seal,so no need for any vertcal rails. IXL poles are lighter than the alloy/steel,if wieght is a problem
It is not only Isabella that do this type of fitment,but they are a better type of awning,this being reflected in the price...LOL
Tea Bag

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
John has outlined some of the differences between an awning for a caravan and a motorhome.. and possible problems.. points I hadn't considered when I first posted..

This awning is one I considered.. it's more like a caravan awning but has no need for a full rail.. and made by Dorema.. highly respected manufacturer..

it's a 'proper' awing .. steel poles with Ten Cate All Season coated polyester roof and walls.. last a lifetime..
http://www.dorema.co.uk/de/motorhome_annexes/challenger.htm

Hi Good advice.
You can buy direct,we picked one up from Pioneer way Castleford Yorkshire,you won't get it any cheaper than that.. Jobs a good 'un!
Tea Bag

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Has anyone who maybe 'fulltimers' fitted or had fitted an additional awning rail/track to their motorhome to accomodate a caravan awning? What are the implications? Could it be a D.I.Y job to fit the track?

I don't really want to go down the route of a safari room but want something more permanent than a drive away or sides attached to the canopy. Any thoughts, experiences or suggestions? Thanks
I bought a 4.0mtr alloy rail installed with Tec7 M7 polymer adhesive, No6 S/S shelf tappers, our inflatable caravan awning fits to this rail OK (Dethleffs Motorhome) from my own research the Thule/Ominister Panarama room is the best out there,... all panels zip out, rare to see one in use very expensive..twice the price of Fiamma's privacy room

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Some very useful points, thank you. We have a Dorema Discovery which we're looking at how it could be modified to fit close up to the motorhome wall.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi.
Depending on your skill with a "Pipe bender",get two alloy/steel poles an the Cranked clips/fittings from a c/van shop.Make a former that will trap the Pad snug,then the tricky bit,,Bend the pipes,sorted. If you do go down this,or a similar route,once you have your awning in the right place,screw in a stopper one end of the channel,so when you feed it in,it is in the right position each time,and a quick release stopper so when its fitted,it cannot come back,this stops the awning sides/poles/pads from scuffing the walls of your unit when its a bit windy,sorted.
Tea Bag

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I must admit having a Safari room and having used caravan awnings I am quite happy with the safari room, and see little benefit from going to trouble an expense of fitting a caravan style rail, and buying the awning.

OP
OP
Brightspark

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
My experience with a safari room which we had fitted to the rv we had was that the aluminium extrusion/profile that was down the side wall of the rv had a rubber/plastic flap against the paintwork that eventually scuffed all the paintwork. I vowed I would never have another! Plus if we had one on this van it would be across a window.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back