EHU on the continent - a bit of help, please (1 Viewer)

Kensmith314

Free Member
Mar 18, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
Almost a year
In a couple of weeks I will be travelling in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Italy.
We will mainly stay on ACSI sites with EHU.
Can anyone tell me, please, will my standard cable be OK or do I need to take some kind of adpator to fit into the electric posts>
Thanks.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
image.jpeg

You may want to get one of these... Less than a fiver....(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Take the adaptor that @Sas r us has posted above. Many sites have the 'standard' adaptor, but some sites still use that 2-pin plug. Certainly, I had to use the 2-pin In France and Switzerland recently.

The site will probably loan you one, but best have your own in case.

Upvote 0

Scrappie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Searching
Exp
It's a learning curve
That's good to know for us too, we have never come across it but will get one for Justin.

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Most of the sites these days have the "standard" 16A sockets, but there are a few sites using the 2 pin continental adapter. As Sas r us & Wingman have said, get yourself an adapter. You may not use it this time, but you will use it sometime

Cheers

Trevor

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You also need to bear in mind that some supplies have reverse polarity it's a good idea to have a couple of leads made up for that just in case.
You can buy the standard ones and change them yourself quite easily.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We had to use the 2 pin adapter at a couple of places around the Somme last year. Older, a bit run down sites. The big sites all seem to be the Euro plug.
Also had to swap polarity a couple of times. On my previous van (Swift) a red light showed on the Sargent box if the polarity was crossed. This one (Hymer) doesn't appear to have that.
Dead easy to swap polarity at the van end plug, if needed/necessary.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got the 2 pin adapter somewhere. Never been out of the van.

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Regardless of information posted lots of French sites still have the two pin plugs, no worries now you have one though

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I made a reversed polarity lead when I first started motorhoming.
Never used it as there's no point
Throughout Europe only us Brits worry about it.
No earth on some campsite hook up bollards, UK and European, is far more dangerous.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I don't have our ACSI books with us tonight but I seem to remember that there is a symbol in the guide to indicate the type of electrical connection at each site. Is it something like 'CEE' or similar?

Upvote 0

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
So far we have had to use the adapter on nearly all the ACSI sites in France and Spain in fact we are using now on the ACSI site in San Sebastian which also has reverse polarity, although we don't have a lead for that but everything works OK.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
On my previous van (Swift) a red light showed on the Sargent box if the polarity was crossed. This one (Hymer) doesn't appear to have that.
I expect that is because the Hymer will have been wired in such a way that polarity is not an issue. All double pole switches.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The majority of sites have the standard blue socket, but by no means all of them.

Yes, definitely get a continental adaptor, which will fit both French sockets (protruding earth pin) and German sockets (two metal slide contacts). That will do everywhere, including Spain and Netherlands, except Switzerland and Italy.

In Switzerland the local domestic socket is three round pins in a shallow triangle. In Italy it's three round pins in a line. You can easily buy locally, or even borrow, adaptors to fit your continental adaptor. All the sites I've ever seen in Switzerland have the standard blue sockets. In Italy sites with local domestic sockets are quite common, especially off the beaten track.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back