Motorhomes in the majority ? (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Had to travel into the North Lakes area today for work. It was surprising how many more Motorhomes were on the roads compared to people pulling caravans. I'd say something like 4 MHs for every caravan. I always assumed there were less MHs about then caravans ?

Could it be that MHers are more likely to be retired and hence are out and about more and caravaner's have to wait till the end of the working week ?

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I think because its bank holiday weekend those that are retired will be travelling in comfort today rather than with the hordes tomorrow who need to wait until the kids finish school or after work.

Reactions: DBK

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Another possible explanation is that motorhomes tend to move around more than caravans. When we've stayed on sites for any length of time, it's clear that there are many more caravans than motorhomes there, but the motorhomes are coming and going much more frequently.

Steve

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I think that the caravaners are waiting for rush hour and then plan to start moving ... slowly ;)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Can this be downloaded to an iPad? If so what suggestions as alternative to peazip?
I don't see why not, because it's a standard .zip file, but I don't know anything about iPad so can't comment on an unzipping program. It may have something built in like Android does - if I download the file to my phone the system asks if I wish to extract the contents automatically and puts the individual files in a folder when I say yes.
You would also, of course, need to be using sat nav software which accepts one of the formats provided.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I don't see why not, because it's a standard .zip file, but I don't know anything about iPad so can't comment on an unzipping program. It may have something built in like Android does - if I download the file to my phone the system asks if I wish to extract the contents automatically and puts the individual files in a folder when I say yes.
You would also, of course, need to be using sat nav software which accepts one of the formats provided.
Thanks, I'll try on my phone instead as I have a sat nav software on this. I read your comment on large RVs but ours is on,y a small one at 29ft so am hoping we'll be OK on a number of your recommends

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks, I'll try on my phone instead as I have a sat nav software on this. I read your comment on large RVs but ours is on,y a small one at 29ft so am hoping we'll be OK on a number of your recommends
You may well struggle in most places at over 25 feet and (perhaps more so) over 3.5 tonnes. Even if you are OK lengthwise it might pay to check weight limits before parking as many car parks have an upper limit of 3.5 tonnes.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Apart from the 2250+ places in my POI set, supermarkets, on street &c &c :D
But how many of those have a service point with water and grey and black waste disposal like the aires I've used in France for the past fortnight and also tonight's Italian sosta?

An old argument I know but the UK simply doesn't compare.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We see more MH earlier in the day especially abroad if like us they wish to arrive at the next destination early afternoon .

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
But how many of those have a service point with water and grey and black waste disposal like the aires I've used in France for the past fortnight and also tonight's Italian sosta?

I know it doesn't but the statement was "nowhere to park in motorhome unfriendly UK" which is totally incorrect..Roy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Hardly any of them. They are car parks not caravan sites :)
The clue is in the web site name, Motorhome Parking (y):)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Plenty of camping sites so what's the issue ...

Being told how and where to park.

Paying a premium for "facilities" I don't want and will never use.

A stupid amount of stupid rules

Attitude of the ridiculous little people employed to enforce aforementioned rules.

Locations of sites are not anywhere I want to visit and are generally too far from anywhere to be viable anyway.

I could go on but I can't be bothered. I'll just sum it up by saying that if the only options I had to park were frightful CC and C&CC "club" sites I would sell my MH and give it all up.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Being told how and where to park.

Paying a premium for "facilities" I don't want and will never use.

A stupid amount of stupid rules

Attitude of the ridiculous little people employed to enforce aforementioned rules.

Locations of sites are not anywhere I want to visit and are generally too far from anywhere to be viable anyway.

I could go on but I can't be bothered. I'll just sum it up by saying that if the only options I had to park were frightful CC and C&CC "club" sites I would sell my MH and give it all up.
That's sad Nick . ..you may have to do that as the way its going in France,you wont be able to get across the water and if you do you may not be able to get fuel to get you to utopia..lol.Roy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's sad Nick . ..you may have to do that as the way its going in France,you wont be able to get across the water and if you do you may not be able to get fuel to get you to utopia..lol.Roy

I think it's sad that anyone really believes that the ideal place to park a motorhome is a "club" campsite. Give me a pub car park somewhere any day.

What exactly is going to stop me crossing the channel?

There's far more to Europe than just Northern France. If the current nonsense isn't sorted by the time we go all that happens is we change our route. We'll still get where we're going and have fun getting there.

EDIT:

Before anyone mentions freeloading or not wanting to pay, don't bother.

Given a choice between £30 to park in a car park or £25 to park on one of those club places I'd take the car park every single time.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Another possible explanation is that motorhomes tend to move around more than caravans. When we've stayed on sites for any length of time, it's clear that there are many more caravans than motorhomes there, but the motorhomes are coming and going much more frequently.

That sounds about right. I turned up at Winchcombe C&CC last Sunday hoping for a grass-only pitch because I was moving on the next day, and got one of the few remaining. There were about 50 caravans and a dozen motorhomes. I doubt the majority of the caravans had turned up for the weekend only, and by the time I left Monday morning several of the motorhomes had gone but I don't think any of the caravans.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I think it's sad that anyone really believes that the ideal place to park a motorhome is a "club" campsite. Give me a pub car park somewhere any day.

What exactly is going to stop me crossing the channel?

There's far more to Europe than just Northern France. If the current nonsense isn't sorted by the time we go all that happens is we change our route. We'll still get where we're going and have fun getting there.

EDIT:

Before anyone mentions freeloading or not wanting to pay, don't bother.

Given a choice between £30 to park in a car park or £25 to park on one of those club places I'd take the car park every single time.
Some of us have to have ehu for medical equipment to be used ,so rather than spend out huge amounts of their pensions on extra batteries,solar panels and inverters ,it makes economic sense for us that are solo and rely upon people to assist us occasionally so I use club or private sites .wish I could have the same as many others that can just park up anywhere without a care . Roy

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Some of us have to have ehu for medical equipment to be used ,so rather than spend out huge amounts of their pensions on extra batteries,solar panels and inverters ,it makes economic sense for us that are solo and rely upon people to assist us occasionally so I use club or private sites .wish I could have the same as many others that can just park up anywhere without a care . Roy
Roy we are lucky that we can have the choice of campsite or aires and I'm with you , we enjoy both and like the campsites to meet people wash and dry clothes for two of us it's not expensive compared with a BandB or hotel.
It's all about choices and we should respect that Nick.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Roy we are lucky that we can have the choice of campsite or aires and I'm with you , we enjoy both and like the campsites to meet people wash and dry clothes for two of us it's not expensive compared with a BandB or hotel.
It's all about choices and we should respect that Nick.
Absolutely right @Anthea M ,it is about choices . I will be using aires when I go over the water in September and hopefully find ehu at some point each week to load my oxygen bottles..etc. Anyway that's enough of that ...now getting sorted ready for my six week tour of our beautiful country before going to twin lakes ...first stop Somerset.haha .

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Absolutely right @Anthea M ,it is about choices . I will be using aires when I go over the water in September and hopefully find ehu at some point each week to load my oxygen bottles..etc. Anyway that's enough of that ...now getting sorted ready for my six week tour of our beautiful country before going to twin lakes ...first stop Somerset.haha .
Sounds like that is a great trip before France. Are you doing any rally's?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yes ,saltfleet in august then of course twin lakes but that's enough for me as I have so many places I want to visit this year that I don't have too much spare time to spend at rallies,however I am hoping to try and pop into jez and lins do on way back from Barnard castle just to say hi.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back