Battery woes (1 Viewer)

jstvj

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
I purchased a Chevy C/K pickup from Hilltop Garage, Honiton and in fairness to them they did say they couldn't guarantee the battery because they had only just charged it after standing for several months. Anyway later, I took the vehicle back to them for other work to be done and as a jump start had been needed at the beggining of my journey, I had a new (Plantinun) battery fitted at the same time. Got back home, didn't use the vehicle for three weeks and low and behold the new battery was flat. A friend jump started it and the same happened the following week. The third time I took it for a fair run, went into a DIY shop and again it wouldn't start. Got the shop assistant to jump start it and immediately drove home to my local garage, who said it was probably the alternator. Anyway, they spent an hour testing various components, only to find that the new battery had a dead cell. They fitted a new battery and I was charged £130.00.

I contacted Hilltop who said that they would refund the money, if I returned the battery to them for testing, which I pointed out was impractical as the round trip of 140 miles would probably cost more than the batteries worth. I was asked if I could post it, which I asssumed mean't pack it and locate a carrier to collect and deliver. Anyway, no further help was forthcoming.

So, I contacted the manufactuers, UK Batteries Limited, to ask if there was a local dealer to me. There is, but as they are independent, they can only return the battery to the manufacturer, who will test the battery and I can then have a replacement. A replacement is of no use to me and I asked for a refund, which the manufacturers have refused. Anyone want to buy a battery from me a the full retail price ? ha-ha

Trading Standards have since advised me to officially write to Hilltop quoting the Sale of Goods act 1979 and if the matter ends up in court (which it probably will), I will be entitled to claim "reasonable out of pocket expenses". I have complied with their advice and am awaiting a reply from Hilltop.

Meanwhile, I am of course, out of pocket due to the jump starts and my local garages' charges, but would a court accept fuel costs, probably exceeding the value of the original battery, particularly as Hilltop and the manufacturers will not offer any alternative course of action ?

By the way, I related this story to a relative today.., who asked what the make of the battery was and when I said Platinum he said he had the same make fitted, which suddenly died and the garage that replaced it, said they knew of numerous Plantinum batteries that had failed.

This story is ongoing and I will let you know the outcome, if and whenever the problem is resolved.

John

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I purchased a Chevy C/K pickup from Hilltop Garage, Honiton and in fairness to them they did say they couldn't guarantee the battery because they had only just charged it after standing for several months. Anyway later, I took the vehicle back to them for other work to be done and as a jump start had been needed at the beggining of my journey, I had a new (Plantinun) battery fitted at the same time. Got back home, didn't use the vehicle for three weeks and low and behold the new battery was flat. A friend jump started it and the same happened the following week. The third time I took it for a fair run, went into a DIY shop and again it wouldn't start. Got the shop assistant to jump start it and immediately drove home to my local garage, who said it was probably the alternator. Anyway, they spent an hour testing various components, only to find that the new battery had a dead cell. They fitted a new battery and I was charged £130.00.

I contacted Hilltop who said that they would refund the money, if I returned the battery to them for testing, which I pointed out was impractical as the round trip of 140 miles would probably cost more than the batteries worth. I was asked if I could post it, which I asssumed mean't pack it and locate a carrier to collect and deliver. Anyway, no further help was forthcoming.

So, I contacted the manufactuers, UK Batteries Limited, to ask if there was a local dealer to me. There is, but as they are independent, they can only return the battery to the manufacturer, who will test the battery and I can then have a replacement. A replacement is of no use to me and I asked for a refund, which the manufacturers have refused. Anyone want to buy a battery from me a the full retail price ? ha-ha

Trading Standards have since advised me to officially write to Hilltop quoting the Sale of Goods act 1979 and if the matter ends up in court (which it probably will), I will be entitled to claim "reasonable out of pocket expenses". I have complied with their advice and am awaiting a reply from Hilltop.

Meanwhile, I am of course, out of pocket due to the jump starts and my local garages' charges, but would a court accept fuel costs, probably exceeding the value of the original battery, particularly as Hilltop and the manufacturers will not offer any alternative course of action ?

By the way, I related this story to a relative today.., who asked what the make of the battery was and when I said Platinum he said he had the same make fitted, which suddenly died and the garage that replaced it, said they knew of numerous Plantinum batteries that had failed.

This story is ongoing and I will let you know the outcome, if and whenever the problem is resolved.

John

Hi, John, did the vehicle itself have a warranty?, if so and the alternator is faulty I would get them to sort that out first, then any battery you fit in the future shouldn't give trouble, basically vehicle not fit for purpose, so you could go down that line.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
J

jstvj

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
Hi, John, did the vehicle itself have a warranty?, if so and the alternator is faulty I would get them to sort that out first, then any battery you fit in the future shouldn't give trouble, basically vehicle not fit for purpose, so you could go down that line.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Hi Dave

Thanks for your advice. No there was no warranty with the vehicle. Actually they were selling it on behalf of a customer. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. My local garage suspected a faulty alternator first because I had told them that a new battery had been fitted. However, the alternator was found to be charging well and it was the battery that was faulty with a dead cell.

Many thanks again

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back