F45s zip (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Hi guys. Joined today and just paid my subs so thought I'd start getting my moneys worth.

I had 2 main goals regarding my camper before we really get in to summer. They were to get the interior re-furbed and to see about an awning for her. A cracking wee company in Aberdeen got the cabin looking great so that's off the check-list so this leaves me with the problem of the awning.

As said in my intro, I have a Talbot express Autostratus and it was already fitted with a F45 wind out awning. It is in good condition apart from a few bumps around the casing, however I am pretty sure I want the privacy room for it and because it is 25 years old Fiamma are telling me none of their rooms will fit that age of awning. Spoke to the local dealer and have been advised that my options are:

F45S with a privacy room - The side panels attached onto a side rail and the front slides into the awning front rail.
F45S 3m £445
Privacy room £600 so just over a grand for the lot.

Or Fiamma Zip - the side panels zip onto the top canopy and the front slides into the awning front rail.
3m Zip £1100 (This includes side and front)

Now it wasn't mentioned in the email but I'm presuming for the zip option I would have also have to buy the 3m F45S for the £445 meaning the total for this option would be over £1500, is this correct?

Would love to hear from anyone who use either option and what you think about them.

Also would these awnings be a good selling point when I come to sell her?

Are they easy to fit? I would be looking to save a few quid by fitting it myself.

Think I had more questions but got a fair essay here already so any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Monzer

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
OK, here you go, firstly here is our privacy room:
awning.jpg

Well actually, that is me finishing putting the thing up, but you get the idea. Now to answer your questions.
Firstly, they are huge (and heavy), even when packed up, a big consideration will be payload!
The good news is a lot of people buy them because they think they will be great, and then never use them, so they come up second hand a lot, very cheap (which is how we got ours) we spent the grand total of £400 on ours, and it had never been out of the bag!
They are relatively easy to fit, you will need a step ladder to attach the top bits, but I can have ours up in about 30 mins, providing wife doesn't interfere :D Initially there are a couple of fittings that go into the wind out for the side rails, but once fitted, they stay there.
You must remember, that once you have put the thing up, it takes about 30 mins to take it down, and if it has been raining, you need to dry it out before storing. Otherwise it will go mouldy.
I wouldn't say it is a great selling point, just a nice to have to be honest. We use ours a lot, but other folk don't it really depends on your needs. Weigh up whether you are prepared to spend the extra time in pitching up to set up the awning, as opposed to the freedom to drive off when you like! :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Thanks @DanielFord

I must say I like the look of your set-up there even though that must be bigger than the 3m I will have. (God, what is happening to me? now I have awning-envy!)

Am I right in thinking you bought your camper with wind out awning included then found the second hand privacy room to go with it?

I am hoping to get to a few festivals this year and even though I am in Scotland we do sometimes get some hot weather in July and the privacy room would be great for getting out of the van to chill out but still have our own space away from fellow campervaners.

Thanks for your feedback.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I must say I like the look of your set-up there even though that must be bigger than the 3m I will have. (God, what is happening to me? now I have awning-envy!)
LOL Yes, ours is 4.5m, we have a big van :D

Am I right in thinking you bought your camper with wind out awning included then found the second hand privacy room to go with it?
Correct, we used the wind out lots, but wanted the extra privacy of the awning.

I am hoping to get to a few festivals this year and even though I am in Scotland we do sometimes get some hot weather in July and the privacy room would be great for getting out of the van to chill out but still have our own space away from fellow campervaners.
Totally appreciate where you are coming from, in warm weather, but when it is raining, which allegedly happens a lot up in Scotland, you can't beat sitting in the awning with a drink, chilling out :D

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
One thing you could consider is the lillipad screens ... Lots have them and say they're great. Much lighter.
We have just the sidewalls for our Fiamma and weve used them once...
We have an air awning now if we are staying more than a couple of days. Bigger lighter and quicker.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the cheaper and lighter option to the fiamma panels is the lightweight screenroom made by lillypad leisure. perfect for festivals and pack down really small for storeage

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It is also worth visiting one of the big meets, there are always awning vendors, you can assess what you truly need with no obligation to buy :D That's what we did :D

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Now it wasn't mentioned in the email but I'm presuming for the zip option I would have also have to buy the 3m F45S for the £445 meaning the total for this option would be over £1500, is this correct?

This has not Been answered for you yet and I think that the awning you buy is one or the other, not both..... I.e. the zip version or the f45s...

Someone will hopefully confirm today...(y)

Best of luck..

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
am hoping to get to a few festivals this year

Are you going to the Rewind festival.?

I dont think it would be possible to fit a zip awning onto a non zip canopy. Our last one was a zip system and each side of the canopy had zips.

We have a large one like Daniel Fords in the picture and ive used it twice. Much prefer the quest elite pop up gazebo. Less than 1 minute to put up and very light.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You risk spending nearly £2000 (new awning plus privacy room) on something you may hardly ever use. I suggest, if you are set on this idea, go with the Lily Pad one which I am sure will fit, assuming there is a slot in the awning rail. Alternatively, and even easier, just get a cheap pop up tent. I've often seen these used with motorhomes, especially the small ones derived from people carriers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Are you going to the Rewind festival.?

I dont think it would be possible to fit a zip awning onto a non zip canopy. Our last one was a zip system and each side of the canopy had zips.

We have a large one like Daniel Fords in the picture and ive used it twice. Much prefer the quest elite pop up gazebo. Less than 1 minute to put up and very light.

Not planning on Rewind. I've got my campervan ticket for T in the park. I love the festival but there is often too much idiots in the camping zones so the only way I would go back would be if I took the camper.

Still struggling with these bloomin awnings and privacy rooms. I'm finding some descent prices on Ebay but a lot of the sellers can't confirm if they are to fit a F45 or a F45S.

Ideally I would like to find an old second hand privacy room to fit my 25 year old F45 but I think a lot of them on Ebay are advertised as a F45 but actually for a F45S.

Oh my head!

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Well I can tell you the quest elite pop up done wonders at tge weekend. Stood up to some downpours. I put the outside covers on but found they really need velcro all across to stop raon coming in at side but well chuffed. Our safari room has been retired to the house garage.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Well I can tell you the quest elite pop up done wonders at tge weekend. Stood up to some downpours. I put the outside covers on but found they really need velcro all across to stop raon coming in at side but well chuffed. Our safari room has been retired to the house garage.

Just had a quick look on youtube for those quest pop ups. They look pretty cool. What size is yours and how long do they take to erect?

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ours is the 4 man. Its just really for mum to sit in. It honestly does take 1 min to put up and, by myself, then another couple of mins to peg it out.

I bought it on the recommendation of others here on the forum. For me one of the advantages is if it gets too windy it can be collapsed very quickly.

I guess it depends what the awning is to be used for and how often you are going to stay put long enough to use one.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Your not going to increase the value of a 25 year old van by spending a £1000 on it, might make it a bit more desirable, a driveaway awning is a possibilty although not as large as a privacy would be.

If the awning end caps are a bit tatty, they can be replaced easily subject to correct identification and availability due to age.

Peter

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Ours is the 4 man. Its just really for mum to sit in. It honestly does take 1 min to put up and, by myself, then another couple of mins to peg it out.

I bought it on the recommendation of others here on the forum. For me one of the advantages is if it gets too windy it can be collapsed very quickly.

I guess it depends what the awning is to be used for and how often you are going to stay put long enough to use one.
Which one was yours please Sandra? If you were standing with your back to George's van, was it the one where we put the food out?

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
most safari rooms get left at home, they seem like a good idea but unless your going to be on one site for a week at least a waste of time get a drive away if you realy need the extra room

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
most safari rooms get left at home, they seem like a good idea but unless your going to be on one site for a week at least a waste of time get a drive away if you realy need the extra room
Seconded, we only get ours out when we are staying more than 2 nights, otherwise it is too much of a faff. Even though it only takes about 30 mins, if we are only on site for one night it seems pointless to put it up!

Upvote 0

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
We have a Lilly Pad awning and think it's great. It's really light and the fabric folds away neatly to fit in one of the upper lockers. At the Newbury show last weekend we bought a Quest Elite 4 sided pop up room which is also very good. It stood up to a lot of wind and rain and packs away so easily, think it is going to be a very useful piece of kit.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back