May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
MH I mean not wife.

For us there were just 2 factors, layout and price.

We did not want a permanent bed, we did want a bathroom that did not need the user to be a contortionist and number of belted seats was not important. That was more or less it.

But price matters.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We chose to buy a M.H. to enhance our lifestyle & broaden our travel horizons within the U.K. & Eire, whilst being able to take our dog with us, although we will still use doggy friendly Hotels & Inns in the U.K. & continue to travel abroad without the M.H.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Choosing a motorhome is always a compromise. We were trading up from a camper, a Mazda Bongo which we loved. We wanted a shower, heating fridge etc. but did not want to have something so big we had trouble driving and parking, so settled on an Autosleeper Duetto. I can use it as my car, we only have one car and that is Mrs. Gasman's. We do miss the space of a larger van sometimes but on the whole we are happy with the choice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi
Renault Master PVC,that narrows the choice,rear lounge,seats to be over 6' long,so makes a bed 6' plus square,good washroom/shower/toilet.Cooker,oven and "Galley Slave" bits for first wife,and to be from a good stable.......... Wildax,sorted.
Tea bag

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Chose ours for fixed bed, end bathroom with separate shower. Big fridge for beer!!!
Chose a Moho just because Wifey has TB.........tiny bladder :);).
So she can wee on the move. ( top tip, wait till they sit down and swerve to left/right shouting squirrel........)
Makes me smile
Love our Rapido;)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We made ours ( well Ralph did! ) that way we could have it just how we wanted . Top to bottom , inside out. Absolutely everything is just how we want it .
image.jpeg

Pug gets us everywhere we want to go. With everything we need inside .

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
image.jpeg

We Chose ours because we have a couple of early teenagers who like to come with us a few times, so we got a 6 berth van.. Has plenty of room.. Has many toys and gadgets and it does everything we need for it to do..

However, once they have decided that it's not cool to be with Mum & Dad, we'll change to something that both suits Kat and I..

Last edited:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We needed, in order of importance

To be able to tow a 1650KG trailer with ease.

An end bathroom.

Over cab bed.

Large Fridge/freezer.

Decent size lounge area.

Separate Kitchen area.

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
You have and you've made my post look weird!! How are you only a week to go!!!!(y)

Kat has everything sorted, I've just left it to her.. She's so damn bloody efficient that girl.. ha.. Unfortunately the Lotus won't be there as it's still waiting for bits to be finished and our Mechanic guy is off to the Italian lakes on Friday for 2 weeks.. We'll just have to wait.. But everything else is effectively sorted... She even got me a new suit for the wedding, I was happy to use my 15 year old one that still fits me perfectly :LOL:.. Just over a week to go...

Hope you guys well... We are looking forward to meeting up with you and the funsters again at some point...
(y)

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
We chose ours mainly for the layout. We wanted an end lounge that converted into a BIG bed and somewhere for the dogs to sleep.
I also wanted one that would easily fit on our drive and still allow access all round for loading bikes on the back etc. Another consideration for us was to keep it under 3500kg so we didn't have to worry about go-boxes and the like on the continent.

Oh and price :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
2 reasons really:

Layout - we wanted an island bed and a good sized seperate shower. Also the A class gives us a proper second bed with headroom.

Build quality - after being unlucky/stupid/gullible enough to have purchased a British built van as our first one we know never to make that mistake again.

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
I chose mine because of its rear lounge/bed. I can leave the bed permanently made up and have additional seaTting else where. I also have panoramic views from my bed.
Looking for a lbw , last yeAr now I have a dog, I was shocked .
No Windows around bed!. Also no fridge only a cooling draw, no oven, only a hob . Was quoted 1000 pounds per window and fridge.. hence I still got my van.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Wanted to down size from Auto-Trail to a PVC.

4 major factors - must have fixed bed with storage below.
No longer than 6 mt
Heating/hot water had to be both gas and electric
Toilet had to be comfortable with sufficient leg room

Things that I wasn't bothered about was an oven and a substantial shower ( on sites most of the time). My Alto does have a microwave and it's suprising how much use it gets - would rather have this than an oven. Shower only there for emergencies.

Well pleased with what I have.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Only thing available that fitted the criteria of no common rail, no electronics, repairable at road side, etc; in the 10 days available to buy it:LOL: ( only due to listening to the wife! It won't happen again) .

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
image.jpeg
Space inside especially width
Fixed bed
Bench loungers
Proper kitchen
Price
Means to separate lounge and sleeping area
Habitation area all on one level
No need for crampons to climb into bed

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
a whim? went for a wee look, came away as owners. liked the layout, in budget, big enough to go long terming in when fully retired but not too big.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
MH I mean not wife.

For us there were just 2 factors, layout and price.

We did not want a permanent bed, we did want a bathroom that did not need the user to be a contortionist and number of belted seats was not important. That was more or less it.

But price matters.
We chose ours for pretty well the same reasons and to fit in a certain type of driveway it had to be max 7metres

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Budget
Huge garage to accommodate bikes, canoe, bbq & too much other 'neccessary' ;) stuff.
Loungeable settees.
Proper oven (not too high that I can't see in)
Separate shower.
Big enough to not go stir crazy whilst inside. :D

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Chose our Nuevo to be able to turn onto our steep narrow drive and yet being a 5.7m van it still felt roomy inside.
Oh .... and the fitted glasses to go with my wine stash !

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Bought ours as it had everything we wanted. No fixed bed, plenty of living space. it only takes a couple of minutes to set up the sofas into single beds and during the day there is lots of room, all on one level. Loads of storage space but trying not to fill the cupboards up.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We wanted the biggest fanciest German van we could afford with the biggest garage we could get BUT we were frightened it might be too big for us and we would loose a fortune so we bought a six year old one and still have it 4 years on, the next one will be the biggest fanciest German van we can afford with the biggest garage (but under 7.5t) we both like nice things and have worked hard no kids and no pockets in shrouds etc etc.

Martin

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
Saw loads and loads before we settled on 'Homer'. Only recently second hand (3k miles on it) and fitted with satellite TV, Sat Nav, reversing camera. Fixed bed over huge garage and second double comes down from ceiling over lounge, so if the kids aren't with us it just stays up there out of the way. It's very well built (German!) and the only problems we've had, have been 'Fiat' based. Big solar panel now fitted on roof which has been very handy for wild camping in Poland last year.

Broken Link Removed

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Buffy was right for us when we bought her - price, garage, seat belt and berth numbers plus it wasn't too long to go through the gate and make the turn. Now we have another grandchild so need an extra berth so will be changing next month (fingers crossed). Oh, and the gate is no more!

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
The last of our kids left home and for the first 3 months I was like a lost sole... For years I had been waiting till the "kids move out" and when they did I realised that they are the catalyst for most conversations ( we talk to them, about them, moans, etc ) . After they had gone The beauty terrorist and I almost started had to start courting again... I had to recognise that me working every hour under the sun was not fair on the Beauty Terrorist who was spending more and more on her own. We decided that we had to make a real effort to share time together. Now the Beauty Terroist has never been a camper... ( nearest thing being Centre Parcs..), however, I came up with the idea of a Motorhome and after a bit of persuasion she agreed to go for it.. What a result!

I have to say it has been a fantastic experience. We love our van (Buster), we spend so much more time together along with the other family member - Indy the Golden Retriever. We are seeing parts of the UK and more recently France that we have never experienced before and just loving it. For me personally, I am switching off from work and relaxing as well as strengthening my relationship with the my lovely wife.

I love the planning of trips away and look forward to many more years travelling.

As pure novices we feel very happy with our van. It does everything well, the layout is great and we have plenty of space.

So glad we became chuggers!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back