Fog light and Reversing light for MOT? (1 Viewer)

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Hi,

What are the rules regarding HAVING a fog light and reversing light for the MOT?

(I know that if I have them they must work, but must I have them at all?)

My RV is a 51 reg if that makes a difference...

Bryan

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Hi,

What are the rules regarding HAVING a fog light and reversing light for the MOT?

(I know that if I have them they must work, but must I have them at all?)

My RV is a 51 reg if that makes a difference...

Bryan
Reversing light i dont think so, unless its fitted then yes
Rear Fog : definet yes

you can if need be use toggle switches to turn on and off:winky: this applys to cars hgv test not 100% ask Vosa for confirmation

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i dont think theres a legal requirement for a reverse light (unless ones fitted)but there definately is for a fog light......and there are specific positions for them as well.

from the chesire police website....

Fog lamps:

Front fog lamps are not obligatory but if fitted must be white or yellow in colour, used in a pair and must not cause undue dazzle or discomfort, nor be used except in seriously reduced visibility. They must be clean and in good working order.
Rear fog lights are obligatory on a vehicle first used on or after 01.04.86. They must be red in colour and must not cause undue dazzle or discomfort, must not be lit whilst vehicle is parked nor to be used except in seriously reduced visibility.
Where two are fitted both must work. Where one is fitted it must be fitted to the centre or the offside of the vehicle. They must be clean and in good working order.
The driver must be able to see the lights are on by way of a visual indication (warning light) inside the vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its a shame its so late or I would give you chapter and verse on lighting
so the short version:RollEyes:
Reversing lights not testable even if fitted
Fog light must be fitted, centre or on the offside rear and be operated by an illuminated switch or a tell tale light is also reqd
Good practice it should only work with the headlights on (that is not an MoT requirement)
Geo
ps you need stop lights too

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
reverse light not testable not required and its not true that if lights are fitted they must work .only obligatory lights tested. as for rear fog light if reg after1st april 1980 must have one .preferably on the rh/side in gb. can have two fitted oneon either side.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
reverse light not testable not required and its not true that if lights are fitted they must work .only obligatory lights tested. as for rear fog light if reg after1st april 1980 must have one .preferably on the rh/side in gb. can have two fitted oneon either side.

sorry alan....

Rear fog lights are obligatory on a vehicle first used on or after 01.04.86.

see my post above....

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
so you write aload of rubbish. rear fogsmust be fitted on vehicles and trailers manufactured on or after 1st oct 1979. and first used after 1st april 1980. i,m looking at constructions and use and an mot inspection manuel for car and light commercial vehicle testing . never mind we wont fall out. cheers alan.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
so you write aload of rubbish. rear fogsmust be fitted on vehicles and trailers manufactured on or after 1st oct 1979. and first used after 1st april 1980. i,m looking at constructions and use and an mot inspection manuel for car and light commercial vehicle testing . never mind we wont fall out. cheers alan.

and im looking at the official cheshire police website alan......one of them must be wrong and seing as its the police that stop you ill go with them....your right though...we wont fall out over it.::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Foot and Mouth spring to mind John:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
01/04/1980

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
For Mot purpose inspection is confined to ONE fog light fitted to the centre or offside rear,its brightness or other wise is irrelevant:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Foot and Mouth spring to mind John:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
01/04/1980

looks like you'll be ok in cheshire in a 1983 car without rear fogs then:Doh:

im only going by their website......i wouldnt be seen dead in a shed that old...:ROFLMAO:

Lights - What are the rules regarding lights on my vehicle? Link Removed

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
never trust the police they tell lies constantely. most dont even know the laws they are employed to control. but never mind i forgive you . wont give you a kiss when i see you though. cheers alan.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Looks to me as though the police site is quoting construction and use regs Bryans going for an Mot :RollEyes:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think they are confused was it nov 86 that e marking on fog lights became neccesary. working from memory now seem to remember something about it. shame mot testers manuels are on disc now i used to keep getting the books . looking back it was not untill1977 body structure and chassis came into the mot .what a lot of bull mot first introduced in 1960.onlybrakes,lights and steering .nov 68 introduced tyres and in 69 seatbelts.77 was the big jump in standards. that info is from the mot testing guide fouth edition. from the vehicle inspectorate. all very interesting .cheers alan.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You can still get the paper version, But I wouldn't bother were on our 3rd update this year alone and another one due 20th sept so it would be out of date by the time it arrived:Doh:
We have a live on line vrsion that is bang up to the minuet:Cool:
Geo

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Bryan, did you get your brake lights sorted? what was the problem?
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi geo , i packed in the garage in 98 . so kept up to date for a while with the paper manuels .didnt need computers then . now a friend keeps me in touch with it all. its bad enough trying to keep up with the truck stuff these days. glad i,m not still working in garage trade but like playing with the toys. still have sourio diagnostic gear, body jigs , etc what i would like is a english wheeling machine , do you have one in your back pocket? cheers alan

OP
OP
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Thanks all for the replies ::bigsmile:

Looks like I will have to buy a new fog light then :cry:

My current one has snapped it's mounting bolt and upon inspection is badly corroded so I will replace it.

(I was hoping to get away with removing it but the replies above clearly indicate that money needs to be spent :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Thanks
Bryan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back