Towbar fitting to Hymer and Pilotes (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Does anybody know how they fit the towbar frame to the rear ends with the double floor made of fibreglass. I cannot see how they can fit a bar unless there is a very long outrigger system going all the way to the main chassis which would be horrendously heavy. I have not seen a factory fit on either the Hymer nor the Pilote models that are like this. The Hymer is a flat sheet of glass reinforced with two box section of the same with no apparent steel unless it is all inside the box floor. Are there attachments under the floor between the floor and underfloor that do not show from the outside. The factory supply them fitted but I have never seen what they are like. Anyone got a factory fit bar on their ML-T or ML-I, who can describe how it goes under the floor and where it actually bolts up. Custom towbar makers are all fighting shy of this as they do not know either until they get to see one in the flesh.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Does anybody know how they fit the towbar frame to the rear ends with the double floor made of fibreglass. I cannot see how they can fit a bar unless there is a very long outrigger system going all the way to the main chassis which would be horrendously heavy. I have not seen a factory fit on either the Hymer nor the Pilote models that are like this. The Hymer is a flat sheet of glass reinforced with two box section of the same with no apparent steel unless it is all inside the box floor. Are there attachments under the floor between the floor and underfloor that do not show from the outside. The factory supply them fitted but I have never seen what they are like. Anyone got a factory fit bar on their ML-T or ML-I, who can describe how it goes under the floor and where it actually bolts up. Custom towbar makers are all fighting shy of this as they do not know either until they get to see one in the flesh.
I got Watling of St Albans to fit mine. There is a type approved chassis extension kit which bolts to the witter tow bar. Fits nicely and Watling are towbar experts

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
So does it not get attached to the back of the van and goes 1.3 metres to the front and the chassis member with no support from the body at all?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
So does it not get attached to the back of the van and goes 1.3 metres to the front and the chassis member with no support from the body at all?
Self supporting and alongside the lightweight extension that supports the back of the van. It bolts on. If I wasn't in hospital then I could take a photo and show you

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The Mercedes has a different floor from the ALKO You cannot actually see what is in there but I think two lightweight floor supports only, these are boxed over with the underfloor. The factory bar cost £1200 at ordering but the bits are twice that as aftermarket parts only with no fitting charges.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Mike parkinson in Freckleton near Preston fits tow bars to Pilote's and Hymers for local dealership. call him on mobile 07887 997653 for further info/advise. Have used him many times, very reasonable !!

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Mick Parkinson as mentioned above WILL fit and he knows his stuff, unlike nearly all other fitters he is 100% working with motorhome towbars and does nothing else.

Not an ML I but my brother recently bought a new Rimor with garage and no chassis showing under garage, Mick fitted system for around £500.

N

Nobody

Deleted User
Mike parkinson in Freckleton near Preston fits tow bars to Pilote's and Hymers for local dealership. call him on mobile 07887 997653 for further info/advise. Have used him many times, very reasonable !!
This guy made me a tow bar for my hymer he's good & cheap he had it fitted in two hrs (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Bespoke and Special Design Towbars

60 years of fitting towbars to Motorhomes has taught us that many cannot conform to a standard design of towbar. There are simply too many different variations of chassis, extensions, coachbuilders, corner steadies, water tanks, battery boxes and other paraphernalia to engineer around. As a result, we offer a bespoke design and fit service where individual variations can be taken into account. By doing this we treat each motorhome as the individual it is and can also adapt the towbar to the customers needs.

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/motorhome_towbars_special_designs.html

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Am I right or wrong in saying that "since 2012 ALL Towbars fitted should have type approval specifically to the vehicle it's being fitted to". If not then your MH insurance could be affected.
Colin

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It is the approval bit that clouds the water, Who approves what and where. Every vehicle is different when it come to fitment, if it is custom made where do you go to get approval and how many thousands of Euro does it cost? As far as I can make out it is actually the TOWBAR and the extensions etc are not,. just the actual bar and ball. Some consumer items on sale carry an approval note signed by the boss of the company saying it meets the regulations and therefore is approved???????????? WTF.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@GWAYGWAY I had our Hymer Exsis fitted with one at home it is type approved and the guy that did it came from Bournmouth.
Here are his contact details he is very thorough and knowledgeable.
The Towbar Company
Gary -07778 343464
mail@thetowbar.co.uk

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It is the approval bit that clouds the water, Who approves what and where. Every vehicle is different when it come to fitment, if it is custom made where do you go to get approval and how many thousands of Euro does it cost? As far as I can make out it is actually the TOWBAR and the extensions etc are not,. just the actual bar and ball. Some consumer items on sale carry an approval note signed by the boss of the company saying it meets the regulations and therefore is approved???????????? WTF.
As far as I can tell, that is correct. However, we did have to get the (Al-Ko ones I think) chassis extensions "off the shelf" purely from a strength and ease of fitting point of view - they just bolted on

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Returned 2015 after many years of kids and other expenses!
For the 'standard' Fiat X290 Chassis, Watling fitted similar to (or maybe even these). They cut them to length, price is the same whatever - we needed only ~300mm on our Pilote G600 about 6weeks ago. (same for X250)

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Whilst climbing under the new van I noticed that there are TWO big steel plates attached to the chassis just to the rear of the Spring hangers. They are really beefy and there are witness marks for washers still on them and I was wondering if it had come from the Hymer factory with a towbar on and it was taken off before they sold it to me, I must phone the stores and find out if they have the bits and if they would sell them to me. I cannot think what else the brackets could possibly do they are about 5/16 thick and bolted to the Mercedes chassis with some hefty bolts. What I would like is a couple of photos as to what the genuine factory bit are like.

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
I know this is an old post but did you ever resolve the tow bar issue for your Hymer, as I am now in the same position , looking to fit one to my Sprinter based Hymer 520S ?

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I know this is an old post but did you ever resolve the tow bar issue for your Hymer, as I am now in the same position , looking to fit one to my Sprinter based Hymer 520S ?
I'm the same as you mate I have a 2005 hymer starline that needs a towbar fitted..anybody in Scotland who fits motorhome towbars?

cradoc

Free Member
Aug 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
rimorsailer sprinter
Mike sold me a towbar to fit myself and didn’t rip me off. He seeed to know what he was talking about so I’d give him a shout . I may be calling him again as I’m thinking of upgrading my 2001 rimor sailer soon and the van I’m looking at does not have a towbar or anything underneath that seems suitable to fit one .

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
As far as I can tell, that is correct. However, we did have to get the (Al-Ko ones I think) chassis extensions "off the shelf" purely from a strength and ease of fitting point of view - they just bolted on
Was reading this got rather concerned about you being in hospital and then seen the date :doh:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
:doh::whistle2:

That were a looong time ago Lois……… Didn’t even need the extensions for the current van 👍
Usually behind the times is the slower pace of life now looking towards retirement

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back