Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
well the 9th of June we are booked on the shuttle with the intention of driving down through France, no fixed plans as to where as usual, but normally just follow the better weather. BUT with the strikes in France plans may have to change:( so..........where to go .........Germany perhaps ,never been, but up for a challenge. Presumably driving through Belgium and into Germany wont present us with any problems with fuel. Any suggestions?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On our first proper trip to Germany last year we enjoyed visiting Cologne, Munich and Fussen (Schloss Neuschwanstein). We thought Heidelberg was a bit overrated though. If you like theme parks there's Europa Park just over the other side of the Rhine.

Autobahn driving conditions are very similar to our motorways, apart from the unrestricted sections where you need to keep well out of the outside lane, as it becomes a BMW/Audi/Merc racetrack.

OP
OP
mick noe

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
do you just pay toll (cash)as in France on autobahn or is there a different system please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Autobahns currently all free but have heard that there are plans to introduce tolls for commercial traffic.

Think France will probably be ok by the time you go, but it's a good enough reason to try somewhere different. Depending on how long you've got, would recommend a trip south (up) the Rhine perhaps from Cologne, which is probably okay for a day visit to see the cathedral, not much else there. Nice aire by the Zoo. Koblenz is nice for a couple of days with a big campsite overlooking the "Deutsche Eck", the confluence of the Rhine & Mosel, then continue at a leisurely pace, lots of castles, vineyards and pleasant towns with stellplatz aplenty. For a quieter and more scenic trip the Moselle from Koblenz is very nice, or you can cut across from the Rhine further south. Follow Moselle into Luxembourg then route back via Belgium (to miss France).

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
All the current problems in France will be over soon, then it'll be the turn of the Air Traffic Controllers so shouldn't affect the likes of us.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
image.jpeg
Germany is great. Stellplatz easy and plentiful. How about one of the Tourists Roads? Romantic strasse or Alpine Strasse for example. The latter will take you to Bertchesgaten (sp) and Königsee. Superb.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
do you just pay toll (cash)as in France on autobahn or is there a different system please?
Free

All the current problems in France will be over soon, then it'll be the turn of the Air Traffic Controllers so shouldn't affect the likes of us.
I'd be surprised if it is soon over.
The Air t c's have been striking weekly since January. Last ones 12th May, 19th May. Think it is the 27th, friday, this week & now I've just read that they want a 3 day ATC strike at the start of June.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Germany has the Umwelt (environmental badge) system in some cities. For a one off payment you are given one of three windscreen stickers (red, yellow, or green) based on your vehicle's emission rating. Where you can and can't drive in some German cities is dictated by the colour of your sticker.

Worth researching - it applies to foreign-registered vehicles too.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Germany has the Umwelt (environmental badge) system in some cities. For a one off payment you are given one of three windscreen stickers (red, yellow, or green) based on your vehicle's emission rating. Where you can and can't drive in some German cities is dictated by the colour of your sticker.

Worth researching - it applies to foreign-registered vehicles too.

A good idea, it's easy to get a disc either beforehand by post or in many places in Germany itself. Should only cost €5-6, anymore you're being ripped off.

However (and don't blame me if you get caught!) the wife of a German traffic cop told me that the police have better things to do than check Umwelt badges....................:whistle:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
well the 9th of June we are booked on the shuttle with the intention of driving down through France, no fixed plans as to where as usual, but normally just follow the better weather. BUT with the strikes in France plans may have to change:( so..........where to go .........Germany perhaps ,never been, but up for a challenge. Presumably driving through Belgium and into Germany wont present us with any problems with fuel. Any suggestions?

Funnily enough we're on the shuttle 9th June as well and were planning to follow the French coast road to northern Spain then go down to Alicante to visit friends. However last night we said the same thing if the strike is still on we'll turn left off the shuttle instead of right may do Germany but been there a few times in the last few years so may head off somewhere else. The beauty of never planning is you can change your mind in an instant and just go with the flow. :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
ast night we said the same thing if the strike is still on we'll turn left off the shuttle instead of right may do Germany but been there a few times in the last few years so may head off somewhere else. The beauty of never planning is you can change your mind in an instant and just go with the flow. :)

have booked ferry for the 26th June.. so hopefully all over.. but if not..

will do the same..

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
View attachment 107493 Germany is great. Stellplatz easy and plentiful. How about one of the Tourists Roads? Romantic strasse or Alpine Strasse for example. The latter will take you to Bertchesgaten (sp) and Königsee. Superb.

Chipster, is that the Konigsee in the photo as I think it is? Do you mind me asking exactly where that photo was taken from as the photo is magnificent.

Thanks

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
..the wife of a German traffic cop told me that the police have better things to do than check Umwelt badges....................:whistle:

I can believe that, but with Germany being both technological and devilishly efficient it can't be long before CCTV starts doing the job. As our MH has a 2/yellow sticker there's already a lot of German city centre green zones that we shouldn't be driving into. The other thing is that foreign vehicles are easy targets if their on the spot fine revenues are down in any particular month.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Chipster, is that the Konigsee in the photo as I think it is? Do you mind me asking exactly where that photo was taken from as the photo is magnificent.

Thanks
Yes Königsee. Taken during a wander from the cable car.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
.Germany perhaps ,never been

We've been going for a long long time, started with business + holiday. It has a huge amount to offer as a MH destination. Starting near the top, very close to UK, The Ring, The Moselle, The Rhein. Follow the Rhein to Switzerland and see the incredible Rhein Falls on the German/Swiss border. That's enough for your first time and you will be back.

?

Deleted User
If no one has mention fill up before driving through Belgium. There seems to be a very lack of fuel station on the motorways what seems odd. Its not that wide but better safe than walking. If you are a smoker or buying lots of wine/beer i recommend Route 66 in Luxembourg as you are almost passing it.

http://www.route66-tobacco-lux.com/index.html

?

Deleted User
1½, Can't beat English Real Ale, but you can drink a lot of the German stuff without ill effects as they are not allowed to put chemicals in their beer.:D

I cant get enough of the one they sell in Holland, Bavaria. I used to go to Paderborn in Germany a lot. The local pilsner must have been one of the worst i have ever tasted in germany.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just read post on another site I am a member of, that Moselle valley currently very muddy with MH being turned away from some sites due to soft ground. We are on Baltic Coast at Rugen Islands but last few days chilly, lovely area though. Just a word of warning, although Stellplatz have been plentiful, they can be full. All 3 campsites we found in KOBLENZ full when we were there end of May. Our current ACSI site also full every day.

OP
OP
mick noe

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Sorry using tablet to post not used to it and this much wine do not cancel trip to France we are at Florac and have had no problems with fuel everywhere seems fine

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sorry using tablet to post not used to it and this much wine do not cancel trip to France we are at Florac and have had no problems with fuel everywhere seems fine

thanks.. it may be fine now.. but what about in a months time, mid July ?

no one can say what will happen over the next week.. let alone the next month .. :(

Germany isn't sounding so good either with all the rain.. it has all the makings of a disaster this summer.. :cry:

Scotland here we come.. :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back