How to tell if an eBay enquiry is genuine (1 Viewer)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Just put my van up for sale, and had what looks like a genuine enquiry from eBay but not 100% about it
Any tips or ways to establish if genuine before I waste any time having never used to either buy/sell
Thks in advance

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Sold quite a few vans via ebay over the years, normally buyers ask lots of questions, want lots of pictures
then they view. If somebody does all of the above its probably safe to assume they are genuine.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Good luck with the sale!

Karl

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Click on their name and check any feedback they've been given as a buyer? It's a starting point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Good luck mate, hope you get what you want for it, but most of all dont forget to remove that spare wheel cage before selling it :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My previous van got sold to a guy in Spain.. Was very suspicious at first but all turned out genuine and a happy buyer and seller at the end.. If they dont want to come and look at it you know they wont be genuine..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My previous van got sold to a guy in Spain.. Was very suspicious at first but all turned out genuine and a happy buyer and seller at the end.. If they dont want to come and look at it you know they wont be genuine..
I have bought and sold vans unseen, no probs

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Bought this one from Weston super mare,unseen did about 10 000 miles in it France Italy Spain uk put it back on three years later got same money I bought it for to some guy in Manchester , and according to the mot checker thing it's still going strong.
image.jpeg

Deleted User
I wouldn't trust feedback as in the past scammers have bought accounts with good feedback. If the buyer offers to buy without viewing and offers to pay by paypal and arrange collection then this will be a scam.
Only accept payment by credit transfer to own bank, don't accept payments such as paypal or western union

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I wouldn't trust feedback as in the past scammers have bought accounts with good feedback. If the buyer offers to buy without viewing and offers to pay by paypal and arrange collection then this will be a scam.
Only accept payment by credit transfer to own bank, don't accept payments such as paypal or western union
Only use cash

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Thks for all the info, very useful to be aware of the sly tricks used by some, especially where eBay concerned having never used them and how there system can be exploited by rats

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Just put my van up for sale, and had what looks like a genuine enquiry from eBay but not 100% about it
Any tips or ways to establish if genuine before I waste any time having never used to either buy/sell
Thks in advance

To some extent you have to trust your own judgement, if the prospective buyer is simply asking questions then answer them truthfully and concisely, if they are offering to buy unseen then treat them with caution but not contempt but this does happen so trust your judgement, don't release the van until you are happy that you have been paid (either cash paid into your bank or a bank transfer made at their bank are safe, I don't think anything else is guaranteed).

Don't be afraid to stand your ground, you want to sell, obviously, but it is your van until sold.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

PayPal seems to be the biggest scam going with the amounts they charge for using them to sell

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
PayPal seems to be the biggest scam going with the amounts they charge for using them to sell
Paypal do NOT offer any protection whatsoever for motor vehicles of any sort - anyone insisting on paying via Paypal is IMV a scammer as they know the transaction is not 'live' as the Paypal payment is a 'promise to pay' so can be cancelled at any time or if money isn't in the buyer's bank when Paypal get round to 'claiming' it, they'll reverse the transaction by which time they'll be off with your vehicle!

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Paypal do NOT offer any protection whatsoever for motor vehicles of any sort - anyone insisting on paying via Paypal is IMV a scammer as they know the transaction is not 'live' as the Paypal payment is a 'promise to pay' so can be cancelled at any time or if money isn't in the buyer's bank when Paypal get round to 'claiming' it, they'll reverse the transaction by which time they'll be off with your vehicle!

I didn't realise that so thanks for the information, I always thought it was a safe way of collecting funds, I only used them once for selling a car, I was obviously lucky, that was until I got their charges for using them :confused:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Bought this one from Weston super mare,unseen did about 10 000 miles in it France Italy Spain uk put it back on three years later got same money I bought it for to some guy in Manchester , and according to the mot checker thing it's still going strong.
View attachment 107492

Tidy that is. Private plate as well.:D Was it the Peugeot engine in it ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Tidy that is. Private plate as well.:D Was it the Peugeot engine in it ?
No, tranny, never missed a beat, had a bit of rust on it and the people we bought it off couldn't get their heads round that, weren't used to old motors, but mechanically perfect, had shower toilet cooker fridge the lot, superb, £3000 cash, only problem was when the bed was up couldn't use the cooker or anything so had to get up and put bed away before you could have a cuppa:( so in the end decided on a bit easier comfort and sold it, but never seen a better van conversion anywhere.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I'm sure you will 'suss' out who is genuine and who is a time waster.
Just don't accept Paypal for the balance, request cash or a bankers draft but if the latter, don't release the van until funds have fully cleared in your bank account (they can reverse a bankers draft and if it's on a Friday, you'd be stuffed)
And don't accept any camels, my brother's a Nigerian Prince or any other

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've just strung a scammer along for a couple of days. Easy to spot by:
Text with no contact number. Message started "Hi it Gerard here" (sic)
He would buy vehicle unseen and arrange collection because he is so busy working.
Asked a few questions but ones where the answers were in the ad and also asked "Will I like it?" ( how the hell would I know?)
Gave the "secure PayPal" spiel. He would pay me £2300 over the asking price which I would pay ( cash only!) into a Nat West a/c. Sent me a totally fake PayPal page "showing the money is held securely" The small print on the fake page read like a kids comic " .......PayPal directors held a meeting and passed this into law"

If they won't pay a deposit, see the vehicle and pay by cash verified at the bank or bank transfer verified by you, they're fake.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
These scammers will have many scams ongoing at any one time, therefore they are unable to keep track of the lies they are telling and to whom. A good indicator that you have a scammer is to subtly change the details whilst you are communicating with them.
For example, change the asking price by about £10,000 or indeed change the vehicle, so suddenly refer to it as a sports car. A scammer will carry on without mentioning this, a real buyer will question this immediately.

Deleted User
I've just strung a scammer along for a couple of days. Easy to spot by:
Text with no contact number. Message started "Hi it Gerard here" (sic)
He would buy vehicle unseen and arrange collection because he is so busy working.
Asked a few questions but ones where the answers were in the ad and also asked "Will I like it?" ( how the hell would I know?)
Gave the "secure PayPal" spiel. He would pay me £2300 over the asking price which I would pay ( cash only!) into a Nat West a/c. Sent me a totally fake PayPal page "showing the money is held securely" The small print on the fake page read like a kids comic " .......PayPal directors held a meeting and passed this into law"

If they won't pay a deposit, see the vehicle and pay by cash verified at the bank or bank transfer verified by you, they're fake.
This seems to be most common paypal scam at the moment.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
This seems to be most common paypal scam at the moment.
Indeed, very common now. They will send what looks like an official document from PayPal, saying that funds are held in Escrow. Unfortunately, this is not a service that PayPal offer. I did have a copy of one of these letters, but I can't find it now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only use cash
Bad advice, difficult to count n' thousands in cash and even if you pay it into the bank before you let them take the van, when they cash up at the end of the day and find it's forged they can claim it back from you. Best to accept payments via online transfer under the faster payments system it is non reversible.

Scams are fairly easy to spot, don't get as many from eBay as you do from Gumtree, sold our last van via eBay without any problems.

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Another scam is to pay over the asking price for some reason and then ask for the overpayment back in cash.

People do fall for it, pay up and then they have do a runner and the original payment bounces, dont accept PayPal for vehicles or Western Union

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back