LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Sorry sorry sorry, I know this has been asked before and normally I'd trawl thro search for info, however, in a bit of a rush....

Phone contract up today, going to opt for sim only with EE, one that has inclusive uk and europe texts, calls. Will then go back to contract in Sept when the new Note 6 comes out.

However, another option for JUne's holiday and Sept holiday is to separately get the Three something 20 which wld give us 12gb data, plus 300 mins calls, 3000 texts. That' would be £20 inJune and £20 in Sept. Was just about to sort on weekend, when guy this morning on three, mentioned the mifi that I know a few on here have used. Would it be worth buying a mifi unit, then topping it up, (is that how it works?) and as I understand, that would then serve the phones and our tab ? Any info really appreciated.

May save a few domestics when the sat nav goes wrong :cycle:

I'm off now on a very boring training course, however, I shall enjoy illicitly sneaking odd peek on funster site under the table ::bigsmile:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Would it be worth buying a mifi unit, then topping it up, (is that how it works?) and as I understand, that would then serve the phones and our tab ?

All a MiFi does is provide a data connection to your devices. It will not provide a full service to your phone.

If you want calls and texts you will still need a proper phone sim card in your phone.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Yeah was hoping the mifi wld talk to my phone sim card ? Wld also buy separate sim card for tab. Will that work with a 3 package of 20 ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Top and bottom of it is mifi and data card , no use for phone calls and text though you would be OK for email, if you put a phone sim in your phone and it is one of the company's that allow tethering, not three don't know about others but o2 allow it, you can use that for your tablets but it works out dear, and doesn't work as well as a dedicated mifi.
Yeah was hoping the mifi wld talk to my phone sim card ? Wld also buy separate sim card for tab. Will that work with a 3 package of 20 ?

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
If it's any help, I bought a Huawei MiFi unit from Three some while ago and use a Three PAYG Sim. I top it up (for 30 days) when I think I will need it and leave it in the box when I don't. (Like in the deep winter months). It would be a waste for me to have a year's contract, because it would be in the box more than in the 'van!

The beauty of the MiFi is that the wife can link to it at the same time as me. She wastes the data on damned FaceBook, whilst I use it for more serious matters, like MHF or route planning.

As others have said, you still need a phone for voice contacts.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Perfect Wingmsn !!!
That's exactly what I hoped it was !!! Ideal. Thank you :)

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
All a MiFi does is provide a data connection to your devices. It will not provide a full service to your phone.

If you want calls and texts you will still need a proper phone sim card in your phone.
Sorry, that was my misleading sentence, was early morning :D Yeah I know mifi won't be for calls, just data. I wanted it for access to net/emails, but wasn't sure whether could use for both our phones as well as the tablet when I posted. Thanks for the reply, I was trying to read bits on training but wasn't sneaky enough lol !

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Top and bottom of it is mifi and data card , no use for phone calls and text though you would be OK for email, if you put a phone sim in your phone and it is one of the company's that allow tethering, not three don't know about others but o2 allow it, you can use that for your tablets but it works out dear, and doesn't work as well as a dedicated mifi.
Thanks for your reply, I was half asleep this morning and didn't really make my post clear soz. Yeah I know no use for calls, just data/net. My struggle was whether to just have the texts, calls and data to just my phone, or use our phones as normal for calls and texts but a mifi so we could connect the 2 phones plus tab up to it for data.

Orange have been really mean and won't let me have a 30 day plan with sim only that includes roaming. Don't really want a 12m contract as only just out of a 2 year one.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for your reply, I was half asleep this morning and didn't really make my post clear soz. Yeah I know no use for calls, just data/net. My struggle was whether to just have the texts, calls and data to just my phone, or use our phones as normal for calls and texts but a mifi so we could connect the 2 phones plus tab up to it for data.

Orange have been really mean and won't let me have a 30 day plan with sim only that includes roaming. Don't really want a 12m contract as only just out of a 2 year one.
Have you considered the tethering route, it is a bit dearer but you only have to pay if you use it, so depending on how much you use it , worth looking into.
Up till this year I have been on o2 , well still am but that doesn't matter in this context, on their contract you can use almost unlimited data to tether your tablets to, but it costs £1.99 a day all in including calls and texts, and kicks in as soon as you do anything , call or text or data but you can then use it all day without extra costs, but as you can see if you do as much as send one text a day , it's going to cost £60 for the month. But if you are only going to use it every other day or so it comes well in line.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Have you considered the tethering route, it is a bit dearer but you only have to pay if you use it, so depending on how much you use it , worth looking into.
Up till this year I have been on o2 , well still am but that doesn't matter in this context, on their contract you can use almost unlimited data to tether your tablets to, but it costs £1.99 a day all in including calls and texts, and kicks in as soon as you do anything , call or text or data but you can then use it all day without extra costs, but as you can see if you do as much as send one text a day , it's going to cost £60 for the month. But if you are only going to use it every other day or so it comes well in line.
Not too much of an issue in this country as we just use our mobile data in plan, it's for when we're in France. Paying £4 per day for data and calls/texts, have 5 weeks away altogether so that will cost a fortune. Turns out to be all quite complicated. I think will probably do sim only on my EE, this will tide me over for uk calls, texts, data until I upgrade to the Note 6 in Sept. Then as I said, it's either all in with Three just to my phone, or mifi to all our phones and just pay for a calls/texts add on for my normal sim. Decisions decisions :frowny:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Not too much of an issue in this country as we just use our mobile data in plan, it's for when we're in France. Paying £4 per day for data and calls/texts, have 5 weeks away altogether so that will cost a fortune. Turns out to be all quite complicated. I think will probably do sim only on my EE, this will tide me over for uk calls, texts, data until I upgrade to the Note 6 in Sept. Then as I said, it's either all in with Three just to my phone, or mifi to all our phones and just pay for a calls/texts add on for my normal sim. Decisions decisions :frowny:
Has the note 6 gone back to card memory ? Deal breaker for me. The non exchangeable battery I can deal with with additional battery banks.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
why not get a monthly contract with three for phone and internet weve always tethered abroad with ours with out problemsw but we are not heavey downloaders which may trigger sanctions

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Has the note 6 gone back to card memory ? Deal breaker for me. The non exchangeable battery I can deal with with additional battery banks.
I believe so, but don't take my word for it !!! I still have my Note 3 and absolutely adore it, guy a few months ago tried to talk me into the S7, which is an amazing phone, but I said I was hanging on for the Note 6. He assured me wld be no Note 6, I disagreed as I'd only just been reading about the new processor etc. So yep, 5 months to wait :)

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
why not get a monthly contract with three for phone and internet weve always tethered abroad with ours with out problemsw but we are not heavey downloaders which may trigger sanctions
Aha ! I ws told by a Three rep this morning the data wasn't for tethering outside of UK. That could defo be an option just to use the tab from my phone. Thanks for that :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back