Done my first LPG fill (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Today, was a bit apprehensive about filling so thought I'd try a fill today at my local bp garage, but it was a doddle and only got 11+ litres in it before it shut off...(y)

I might add that I have an in locker filler and filled in full view of the attendent and no problems.... Glad I got that one out of the way and don't know why I was at all concerned...:):D

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Good to get it done.. can understand the aprehension. .
Snowbirds recent thread of the dangers brought one of them home... ie the cold burns..
What size cylinders or tank were you filling... I'm assuming they wernt empty and had been filled before if it shut off after 11l...
Andy.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Since we had Gaslow fitted in February we have filled up twice.And since
seeing Snowbirds thread I use strong rubber gloves and will do everytime!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I've got a single 11kg gaslow with a 6kg calor backup.

Yes, I reminded myself of @Snowbird and wore some rubber gloves.....

It's a new to me Mh and previous owner weren't sure how much was left and as we are going away on the 6th thought I'd have a go now....(y)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
filled up today at shell , note on the pumps saying they are changing the fill nozzles-sometime in June . to some standard nozzle-any ideas what they are -I find the shell ones easy to use

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
I remember my first fill, fitted dual bottle system my self. It leaked from two/three joints. Back home, tightened more, back re fill and worked a treat.

In many years doing diy work I have never tightened anything as tight as these joints need to be. With cars motorbikes having many aluminium parts you get sensitive to not over tightening things.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
filled up today at shell , note on the pumps saying they are changing the fill nozzles-sometime in June . to some standard nozzle-any ideas what they are -I find the shell ones easy to use

The information I got with my recent gas system says there are two types of nozzle that you could come across In uk..
Forget their names but one has a conventional type trigger mechanism and the other a lever which pulls back towards you when you attach the bayonet fitting..
I wonder if they are just changing types...or there's a new design
Andy.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I'm still a little nervous overtime I fill...probably due to a scary experience in Fort William when I hadn't connected properly (didn't rotate the locking ring all the way) and the nozzle flew off with a big bang and scared the life out of me and everyone else on the BP forecourt!

Lesson learnt :rolleyes:.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don't know anything about the new nozzles,but good to hear they are
changing nozzles rather than stopping selling LPG all together!
It's about time they were changed , must be the worst design of anything to do with gas and fuel, surely they could be made with some sort of anti return to stop this escape of gas, the French one still lets some escape but nowhere near like ours.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It's about time they were changed , must be the worst design of anything to do with gas and fuel, surely they could be made with some sort of anti return to stop this escape of gas, the French one still lets some escape but nowhere near like ours.
I agree, it will probably be the mechanism rather than the shape/style of the receiver on our Moho's.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
The two types are "GasGuard", with the trigger, and "De Visser" with the lever. I much prefer the latter, and apparently so do a lot of people, and I have read that Autogas are changing all of their pumps to the De Visser type.

Steve

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
There should be no escape of gas if it is attached properly, when it is detached what is left is residual pressure and maybe a drop of liquid there is less spillage than from petrol or diesel

Joe

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There should be no escape of gas if it is attached properly, when it is detached what is left is residual pressure and maybe a drop of liquid there is less spillage than from petrol or diesel

Joe
I was talking about the residual pressure, it must be gas as nothing else is in the line.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
There will always be residual pressure left. There should be training for using gas pumps only 5 min but something. At work we had 2hrs of training to be allowed to fill a gas truck well over the top gloves hard hat and face protection and an earth strap

Joe

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
As I said earlier, far better and easier if you have the correct adapter the French nozzle just clicks on , none of this twisting and stuff, and no where near the back pressure of ours

Yes, It's just a mental problem! I have 2 or 3 adapters, I will manage it one day. The longest I get away is 4 weeks currently while still working full time, I've always filled up before leaving and not run out.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
How long will a 11kg likely to last with a bit of cooking and a few cups of tea a day....?

Ohh and heating hot water, and fridge.....:Eeek: (Think I got up too early today...:snooze:)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never going to happen.
There will always be a little liquid gas between the nozzle and one way valve in the filler neck at high pressure...around 350psi.
A very tiny amount of liquid gas produces a lot of vapour.....
1ltr of liquid converts to around 300ltr of vapour.
A pea sized drop of liquid may become a baseball sized cloud of gas.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
in over a year only had to fill once and that was from start,but now after visiting the uk around march im a expert,having filled up around 6 times due to having heating on 24 7 because it was so bloody cold lol

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Filled mine up for the first time yesterday at the Shell garage at Trago Mills, Newton Abbot. Checked the instructions before I left home. Got myself in the wrong row as the hose wouldn't reach to start with so reversed and queued up again on the right side of the pump; connected OK, heard the gas go through and then eventually stop, unplugged and went in the pay. Autogas pump please? The 2 girls looked blank and said nobody's drawn any gas! One offered to come out and help with me!

She came out and showed me what to do. Connect to the the van. No, lock the barrel on with the lever and then leave it alone. The lever does not operate the gas. Turn around and push the big black button on the pump, watch the gauges zero and then start to rise and hold it in until it won't take any more and the gauges on the pump stop moving. Then unlock the lever, replace the pump and come in and pay! Did I feel like a plonker! Still I know what to do now and only parted with about £9.00 to fill up a Gasit 11Kgs cylinder! This Autogas is very reasonable stuff!

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
when i had my tank fitted at Autogas in Thirsk, first fill of tank and instructions on how to do so came as part of the deal. haven't had to do it myself yet though as only used it for a bit of cooking so far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back