Nuts of the locking type. Recommend? (1 Viewer)

Gobdoc

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift esprit
Exp
Newbie.
About to head off on first real adventure to Bella Italia. Would locking wheel nuts be a recommendation or am I being silly?

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
With the cost of tyres and no sparewheel.
I think they are a must
I bought some German ones from Halfords
They where cheaper in the UK than here.

Mel

OP
OP
Gobdoc

Gobdoc

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift esprit
Exp
Newbie.
Thanks, Mel. Were they for a standard ducato wheel?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a big padlock and chain on each wheel would work too

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Yes steel wheels 15inch
They have a book in there with all the vehicles and which model you want.
I think its the same for alloys but not certain

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Lad in Cheadle Manchester supplies mail/or from home.Twice he has supplied me with the locking nuts,some for some very small wheel nut apertures on very "Fancy" Alloys.Just tried Googling.but i did not recognise the name,if you don't get sorted,i can dig deeper,he will have to the vehicle,size and thread of the bolts.
etc
At one time,there where on some vehicles, different length bolts for Alloy and Steel wheels,as the Alloy wheel was thicker,so bolts tended to be longer and when used to fix a steel wheel,could sometimes interfere with the Hub/Brake mechanism.
Tea Bag.
PS. How do i know this?.Because a vehicle i bought,came with a steel spare,and had 4 wheel bolts to use with the spare wheel......

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
About to head off on first real adventure to Bella Italia. Would locking wheel nuts be a recommendation or am I being silly?
Well that's a new one , grey water, gassing , a frame eat your heart out we've got a new one

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am buying a set for the alloy wheels on mine but it is the steel wheel nuts that are difficult to get online. I ordered 6 from the main dealer in the end and was told they are only £1.75 + each so that is something. going to collect them on the way passed the dealership at Sittingbourne on the way North in the car to get the van.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi GobDoc.
Had a good hunt around,found a post of mine on the "Dark side" ....Facts?. Dated...09/08/2010. On this very subject........

Piri Racing 01617186721 Cheadle Manchester.
Cannot vouch for him still being there,but if he is,"Top Chap". When i called,they were having a Curry for tea,i just mentioned that i loved curry and without hesitation,i was invited in,however,i had first wife with me and we were bound for elsewhere.I can still savour the aroma all these years on.Best of luck.
Tea Bag
PS. Just NOTED the date... Where did those years go? LOL

OP
OP
Gobdoc

Gobdoc

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift esprit
Exp
Newbie.
Thanks for suggestions. Just back from halfords and they can order them in. Takes about a week. 40 earth pounds though. Oh well. Cheers!

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Does anyone have a report of anyone ever having the wheels stolen off a motorhome? I don't think anyone has ever stolen alloys off a motorhome, let alone steel wheels. Why would anyone go to all the trouble of jacking the thing up (several tonnes of it) and putting it on bricks or whatever to steal the wheels? I would say of all the security you can get for motorhomes locking wheel nuts are the last thing I would think of.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Does anyone have a report of anyone ever having the wheels stolen off a motorhome? I don't think anyone has ever stolen alloys off a motorhome, let alone steel wheels. Why would anyone go to all the trouble of jacking the thing up (several tonnes of it) and putting it on bricks or whatever to steal the wheels? I would say of all the security you can get for motorhomes locking wheel nuts are the last thing I would think of.

Agree with you BUT years ago I had 4 caravan wheels stolen from a secure storage site, would think you would notice it if your in the van

Joe

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi.
Price up a Wheel and Tyre... I only paid £25 on Locking nuts for a Renault PVC,but that was years ago,so £40. That gives protection to Four wheels at £10 a corner/Cheap as chips.
You have to be aware that your wheels are on commercial vehicle bases,so can be sold on quickly,£10 a corner? That will do for me.
Tea Bag

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Just got a price for genuine Fiat set of four,£46.48