Urgent truma combi boiler help please (1 Viewer)

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Arrived on site switched on truma to heat water only on hook up , after an hour smelt heated plastic smell coming from boiler .
Black plastic ducting to outside " valve " was very very hot as was the outside " valve " and the actual part of the boiler leading to the ducting was hot hot hot .
Have isolated the boiler from the electrics and won't be powering it up until it's seen by an expert , the actual ducting has deformed due to the heat !
Any ideas people ?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
What model is this?
If your van is 2008 then I'd imagine it's the c6002 or something like that. The outside valve? Is that the vent? There is no cover on it is there? If on electric water only I wouldn't expect that to get hot tbh.
My suggestion would be to wait til Monday morning and call truma ... be at the van when you do. They are very good.

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
  • It's 2013 and yes I meant the vent , A and E leisure are looking at it on Monday at ten .
  • It got very very hot !
  • O and there was hot water
  • Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Are you confident the boiler was filled by running the hot tap and bleeding the air out before switching on?

Yes , filled it up and bled it and as I say when I turned the hot water tap on , hot water came out , cheers

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Is it the first time you have used it since the winter?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There was a warning on some older (by around 10 years) Trumatic C 3402 (E); Trumatic C 4002 (E), Trumatic C 6002 (E) and Trumatic C 6002 EH units (European Commission Notification Reference 0454/06).
Our C3402 had a serial number outside the range listed but we also had a heated plastic smell so I contacted Truma by e-mail to be safe. I sent my e-mail on a Saturday afternoon and a reply at about 8:15 on the following Monday saying "The serial number for your heater indicates that this falls outside of the range of heaters affected by the safety modification. You should be aware that when the heater is on water heating only the unit does get very hot and will smell warm, this is because the air circulation fan is not running so does not dissipate the heat build-up around the unit.".

We still have the smell sometimes when it is on water only but no problems.

Truma service contact details are . As your dealer appointment isn't until 10am on Monday it may be worth dropping Truma an e-mail in the meantime as, if you receive the same promptness as I did, you could have your reply before the appointment.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Does it work OK on gas? I think the electric element has to radiate heat to warm the water (no direct contact) so will not be particularly effective at heating water only.

These things are gas heaters with the element put in as an afterthought. There should be a thermostatic cut-off to prevent overheating and that may require resetting or replacement.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
  • It's 2013 and yes I meant the vent , A and E leisure are looking at it on Monday at ten .
  • It got very very hot !
  • O and there was hot water
  • Cheers
Ahh right by 2008 I assumed your avatar was correct. If it's in warranty fill your boots but if out of warranty I do reccomended truma if you can get to them. Great service

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Is it the first time you have used it since the winter?
No , used it loads . (y)
And by hot I mean the unit burnt my fingers and I would guess that the next step was fire

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Just thought I'd post an update , A and E leisure contacted Truma with photos and a detailed description of our problem and Truma replied that what id experienced whilst in " summer mode " was perfectly normal and nothing to worry about . They estimated that the boiler can experience temps of 150C in this mode .

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Cannot add too much to truma, but on electric only I too have a burning smell. Goggle it and it seems to be a very common thing.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just thought I'd post an update , A and E leisure contacted Truma with photos and a detailed description of our problem and Truma replied that what id experienced whilst in " summer mode " was perfectly normal and nothing to worry about . They estimated that the boiler can experience temps of 150C in this mode .
Basically the same reply as I received from Truma :)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
150C? That's somewhat dangerous, half as hot again as boiling water. You can get seriously burned by that temperature and I can't believe a reputable company such as Truma could say such a thing.

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
150C? That's somewhat dangerous, half as hot again as boiling water. You can get seriously burned by that temperature and I can't believe a reputable company such as Truma could say such a thing.
It's either right or I heard wrong over the phone ! I will post the whole Truma response when A and E leisure e mail it to me .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's either right or I heard wrong over the phone ! I will post the whole Truma response when A and E leisure e mail it to me .
On reflection that temperature does seem high when the water heating temperatures are 40 deg and 60 deg. Presumably the unit may have to reach higher temperatures in order to heat the water from cold but I should have thought that would only be for a short while.
As regards safety, the boiler is normally located somewhere out of reach in usual circumstances (ours is under the fixed bed which has to be raised for access to it and in our previous van we had to remove the wardrobe floor for access) so one is unlikely to accidentally touch it.

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
This is the reply from Truma

Our engineers have had a look at the photos and are not concerned that the flu pipe is in any way a safety issue. Any distortion that has occurred is very unlikely to have been caused by heat. The Combi boiler does reach temperatures of 150 deg when on water only so it will feel very hot indeed and this is quite normal.

It is not unusual under certain conditions for the Truma Combi Boiler to emit hot odours from the duct outlets. There are several reasons why this may occur;

When used on ‘’Summer’’ setting (water heating only) very high temperatures are created within the boiler, natural convection can take place which causes cool air to be brought in via the low level ducts causing high temperature air to convect through the high level ducts at a very slow speed raising the ducting temperature.

Any dust or debris that may be in the duct and plastic materials in close proximity to the duct become hot and can cause an odour.

When used on ‘’Winter’’ setting (blown air heating) the temperatures are much lower within the boiler and ducting therefore it is less likely to experience the hot odour issue.

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
it doesnt specifically say Celsius....150 geg F is around 65 deg C, a more realistic figure perhaps....?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back