rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
I got 2 fans fitted after last summer season and now I'm in Spain and been here for 4 days and the fridge is getting hotter and hotter by the day.

Fans are fitted top vent sucking the air out., clearly not working.

Reversed them 4 hours ago and they are now blowing hot air out the bottom vent and the fridge is chilled and working normally

The oven and gas option on the fridge are working normally as well.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Hot. Air normally rises, so it would be usual to extract from the higher level. Maybe check the air space behind your fridge to ensure a clear unrestricted air flow around the heat exchanger on the rar of said fridge.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Always fitted in the top vent pulling out. Never any other way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If blowing the heat back down is helping cooling then the problem is you don't need the fans on at all yet
Sucking out the top is normal but if it's drawing heat away too much it will impede cooling

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
All the vans I have owned that had fridge fans fitted were in the top vent pulling out. They were all automatic being switched on by a thermo switch. They only came on when the outside temperature was in the high 20s and then only for a few minutes before switching off again.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am glad you made clear this thread was about a fridge....

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've bodged a computer cooling fan into my top fridge vent using the spare terminals on the solar charge controller as the power source. It seems logical to have the most power available when the sun's at its peak.

One thing I reckon happens is that the metal draining board directly above the fridge creates a sort of feedback loop, where any heat that doesn't escape the vent properly is reflected back onto the fridge top causing it to warm up. As it warms up, the fridge burns more gas to compensate, thus creating more heat that can't escape from the vent and so on...

To my simple way of thinking, an extractor fan on the top vent will help to break this loop.

I may of course be totally wrong.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I fitted a 5" fan in the top vent, blowing outwards and it works fine when it is very hot (around 30C +). It does reduce cooling if its on when the temperature is lower though. Perhaps the reason yours appears to work better is that going against the normal airflow it will be less efficient and thus have less of a negative effect on cooling. I'm surprised it's hot enough in Spain yet to need the extra fan, usually temperatures are only in the mid 20s in May.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
the correct term 'I think' :cool: is 'induced draught' i.e. blowing outwards at the top, i.e. inducing an air flow
but what do I know, I initially wrote draft instead of draught:)

fans can do induced draught and forced draft:whistle:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
All the vans I have owned that had fridge fans fitted were in the top vent pulling out. They were all automatic being switched on by a thermo switch. They only came on when the outside temperature was in the high 20s and then only for a few minutes before switching off again.

Mine comes on at 30º but doesn't go off until temp has dropped . which doesn't normally happen until early a.m.
In Alicante Thursday night Friday a.m.I had to disconnect the sensor as the wife complained of the noise. Think I'll have to get a different sensor.:LOL:

I fitted a 5" fan in the top vent, blowing outwards and it works fine when it is very hot (around 30C +). It does reduce cooling if its on when the temperature is lower though. Perhaps the reason yours appears to work better is that going against the normal airflow it will be less efficient and thus have less of a negative effect on cooling. I'm surprised it's hot enough in Spain yet to need the extra fan, usually temperatures are only in the mid 20s in May.

You should move here.Been in the 30's all week, 34º today :( appears that it could be the same this year as last with temps in the 40's again, late June /early July.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mine comes on at 30º but doesn't go off until temp has dropped . which doesn't normally happen until early a.m.
In Alicante Thursday night Friday a.m.I had to disconnect the sensor as the wife complained of the noise. Think I'll have to get a different sensor.:LOL:

You should move here.Been in the 30's all week, 34º today :( appears that it could be the same this year as last with temps in the 40's again, late June /early July.

The last one I did I put two brushless computer fans in. No noise whatsoever.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I find the fan I've fitted reverberates on the MH side panel and creates an annoying humming inside the van which is louder than any noise made outside. I put rubber pads between the fan and the vent which helped reduce it a bit, but it's still quite loud. It would probably be anti-social using it on an aire, but it could be handy when taking a break at service stations or when shopping at a supermarket to keep the temperature down before the next stretch on 12v. I think I might look at a brushless fan as per @Snowbird now the wiring's in place.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Broken Link Removed

If you use your existing temperature sensor to decide when to switch the fan on the internal regulator on this fan will set the speed to match the temperature which should help keep the (minimal anyawy) noise down

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back