LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't know why the residents think they can claim the areas they are parked on are part of their drives. It isn't obvious from the photo in the story but the video report shows that the vehicles are parked on tarmacced access points to their drives.

The councillor is talking rubbish. The highway extends to the building line and includes the verge and footpath. Just because a council charges a householder for the cost of putting in an access point/dropped kerb it doesn't mean that they own the land. The DVLA have done nothing wrong.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I don't know why the residents think they can claim the areas they are parked on are part of their drives. It isn't obvious from the photo in the story but the video report shows that the vehicles are parked on tarmacced access points to their drives.

The councillor is talking rubbish. The highway extends to the building line and includes the verge and footpath. Just because a council charges a householder for the cost of putting in an access point/dropped kerb it doesn't mean that they own the land. The DVLA have done nothing wrong.

Graham

Could this not have been made clear to the residents before clamping took place Graham?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The man says his van is tax exempt .. which means the tax is rated at £0 , but it still needs a disc, only that the duty is £0. and to get a disc it needs an MOT and insurance,

The report isn't clear about this .. if it was on the highway and not showing a valid disc, VOSA were legally entitled to clamp and or remove.

Mr George said: “The car has been reported as off road and so does not require any road tax.

that is different, if it is SORN'd then it must be off the highway .. end of story ..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Could this not have been made clear to the residents before clamping took place Graham?
I don't know how much publicity there had been locally Ken but there has been plenty of national publicity saying that the DVLA was going to crack down on untaxed vehicles on the highway. The newspaper report also refers to a similar exercise elsewhere in Shropshire so it looks like there has been some local warning.

The man says his van is tax exempt .. which means the tax is rated at £0 , but it still needs a disc, only that the duty is £0. and to get a disc it needs an MOT and insurance, (snip)
On the video he claimed it was tax exempt because it was built in 1973-4 but, as one of the comments on the story points out, vehicles have to be built before 1st January 1973 to claim that exemption.

At the very least it looks like the guy featured in the report has been lax in finding out exactly what the situation was.

Graham

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The highway extends to the building line and includes the verge and footpath.

Graham

Not correct actually, the building line is where the building is.

Councils and Highway authorities do not always own the land fronting a property, the Highways Agency had to slap a compulsory purchase order on us when they wanted to widen the A21 along our frontage. They did not need any of our forecourt BUT
evidently we owned half the A21!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

At the moment I am having an interesting battle with my local council who want to put a footpath all along my frontage at home plus three other properties and none of us want it.

On checking all our deeds, we all own the land right up to the edge of the kerb, clearly stated on our deeds with full measurements right back to 1921!

Peter

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not correct actually, the building line is where the building is.
Have to disagree there Peter :Smile: The "building line" is prescribed by the appropriate highway authority under S74 of Link Removed and limits where building can take place rather than referring to a structure.

Councils and Highway authorities do not always own the land fronting a property,
That is very common. Often enough the boundary in a built up area is marked by studs or a metal line set into the paving. There have been several cases in Middlesbrough where private land fronting a building is used for parking and the (business) people concerned have had to be "encouraged" to stay within their limits and not encoach on the public footpath.

the Highways Agency had to slap a compulsory purchase order on us when they wanted to widen the A21 along our frontage. They did not need any of our forecourt BUT
evidently we owned half the A21!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I like it :roflmto: Looks like somebody must have made a bit of a surveying error when the road was built :Smile:

At the moment I am having an interesting battle with my local council who want to put a footpath all along my frontage at home plus three other properties and none of us want it.

On checking all our deeds, we all own the land right up to the edge of the kerb, clearly stated on our deeds with full measurements right back to 1921!

Peter
That's pretty common as well, especially in rural areas. Highways developed right up to the boundaries of farms/estates and the boundary stayed where it was when developments took place. It contrasts with urban development where, as part of building of a housing estate, the highways (consisting of roads, verges and footways) are normally retained by the developer and sold to (adopted by) the local authority on completion of building.

Graham

cater_racer

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Chester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have the reverse problem, the council refuse to maintain the strip of grass between my land and the road, they claim I have to maintain it. So I now pay a man to cut the councils grass...

:Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have the reverse problem, the council refuse to maintain the strip of grass between my land and the road, they claim I have to maintain it. So I now pay a man to cut the councils grass...

:Doh:
Send them a Freedom of Information request asking for proof of why it is your responsibility. That will sort it out one way or another.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back