mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Last week after Cody and Thornton seemed to settle so well together, Cody suddenly started going off colour. To cut a long story short he became totally lethargic, we rushed him to the vet, they sent us home and I spent a night cuddled with him on the sofa as he got steadily worse and so I was back at our vet at 9am. They kept him in and did scans etc and found he had a foreign body lodged in his intestine. They removed this and it was a sock however there was significant damage to his intestines and they were worried. They transferred him on Friday night to the vet hospital in Bath who are taking great care of him but he is not improving at the rate they would hope. They are going to continue to monitor him today but feel he may need a further operation tomorrow if there is no improvement.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Terrible news, but I do know exactly how you feel. Out Chocolate Lab has had two operations to remove foreign bodies. One sports sock and one 40 cm piece of leather. Probably a bridle picked up in the forest somewhere. I hope Cody recovers soon for you.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Terrible news, but I do know exactly how you feel. Out Chocolate Lab has had two operations to remove foreign bodies. One sports sock and one 40 cm piece of leather. Probably a bridle picked up in the forest somewhere. I hope Cody recovers soon for you.
Cody regularly eats and passes so many things and we didn't even see him eat this one. Crazy that it can do so much harm..

I think we will all go to sandals now and ban socks.. although the kids schools may object...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Keeping fingers crossed for Cody, we can imagine how very worried you all are.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hope he's ok? Don't know how to stop dogs once they've started this habit.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
IMG_20160522_172321.jpg

He is much better today but can't come home until he has passed faeces..

Can't stress how important insurance is. The bill is over 2500 already...

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
We are going to move the washing machine and tumble dryer so socks don't need to be anywhere near him and be much more vigilant.
Great Idea...This is what we had to do, but just be mindful of the "Dropped Sock" when walking around with armfuls of washing and dont let him upstairs into bedrooms!!..(y)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Big hugs Cody .... tell dad u need more doggy chews and then u won't fill up on socks. Xx

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Big hugs Cody .... tell dad u need more doggy chews and then u won't fill up on socks. Xx
Doesn' stop him..

He came home today but still no poo. Have a pharmacy for him to take twice a day and plenty of rest which means Cody and Thornton being pretty much separated.. hopefully some 'movement' tomorrow. He has lost lots of weight and as well as all the drugs is on special food which won't hurt his tummy so the vet says no poo isn't anything to worry about until Wednesday.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Doesn' stop him..

He came home today but still no poo. Have a pharmacy for him to take twice a day and plenty of rest which means Cody and Thornton being pretty much separated.. hopefully some 'movement' tomorrow. He has lost lots of weight and as well as all the drugs is on special food which won't hurt his tummy so the vet says no poo isn't anything to worry about until Wednesday.

Hope all goes well. Wish we cojld explain to them what happening to make it easier.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Really hope Cody gets better soon . As movan says if only they could say how they feel and we could explain etc .

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
HE DID IT!!!!!!

Hopefully the vet will tell us tomorrow he can come on holiday.

He is back to his self and we are having to keep him and Thornton apart because they are playing so much we are worried he will split a stitch :)
Brilliant (y)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Excellent news.(y) It is such a relief when they are better. Having him tear around will be a joy to watch. :D For a while then goes back to being a nightmare.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Excellent news.(y) It is such a relief when they are better. Having him tear around will be a joy to watch. :D For a while then goes back to being a nightmare.:rolleyes:
He is zonked now. He had his drugs this morning and they will keep him tired for a while. Hopefully the pair of them will start getting the message about rough play if we keep having them apart. They are worse than kids because you can't have a conversation aren't they.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Fantastic news about Cody.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Any bowel operation is a nightmare. Been there, done that. :) It was a week before I performed and as the surgeon said to me "That is music to the ears of a colorectal surgeon". If he follows me, :whistle: his eating will be poor for a few weeks and then it is as if a switch is thrown and off you go. Feel for him though, this is one of the few things I would not wish on an enemy. :sneaky:

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Just read this thread, glad life for Cody is improving and hopefully your able to relax now.
Your right, insurance is so important.
Good luck with the continued rehabilitation
:)

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
My husband has just told me about this thread as my father was a vet. Any foreign object can cause a huge problem as it starts to literally rot and one of the worst culprits are cooked bones, especially chicken, they splinter as they are chewed and can puncture the gut causing untold damage leading to possible death. Chews are the best or even dried pigs ears if they like to spend time messing with it. I do hope Cody is OK now and that this will help to stop any future problems as our pets are very precious. This story touched my heart. Sue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back