Calmac vehicle lengths (2 Viewers)

Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
Hi, we're off island hoppin in the Western Isles for the first time on Sunday. Can anyone tell me if Calmac are pernickety about van lengths? We have an Autocruise Tempo officially classed as 5.9m long, just under the 6.0m limit for the cheaper price band for the ferries. However we have a step fitted at the back that takes us to 6.1m. Is this likely to be a problem? We could remove the step which would mean either I will struggle a bit getting in and out or risk annoying neighbours on site by only using the sliding door - of course we could simply pay the extra money, but that's too easy!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I used to work for a ferry company and yes, we did get the tape measure out sometimes. One reason for needing the length is to ensure the vessel is not over booked. If we had 20 vans under declared by 0.25m we lose a car length. More critical is the height on some ferries. I denied a claim from a caravanner once, his status aerial got knocked off. He had under declared his height. It would be much easier for the ferry company if everyone just put in the correct details at time of booking.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just a footnote to my post above, I too am travelling to the Western Isles this month, I measured the van with the bike rack extended just to check my length. Maybe we'll see each other out there, really looking forward to this trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
We are on the Isles at the present, The ferries are very busy so I would make sure you give the correct length. Enjoy your trip and I hope the weather stays like it is at the present, sunny and with warm wind.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I haven't checked what difference it makes, but the ferry prices are so much lower this year I doubt it is enough to get anxious about, just pay what they ask for on the manned check ins. But I doubt they will argue with you for a few inches.

Have a great time, will be there myself week following Falkirk (y)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I haven't checked what difference it makes, but the ferry prices are so much lower this year I doubt it is enough to get anxious about, just pay what they ask for on the manned check ins. But I doubt they will argue with you for a few inches.

Have a great time, will be there myself week following Falkirk (y)

David the price jumps by 50% from 6m to next up 8m and can be as much £56 for a return........if getting on and off a few islands will soon add up.

I would tell them the official size of the vehicle and save having to take the step off........they won't come out and measure you in the rain. LoL:whistle::whistle::whistle:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
David the price jumps by 50% from 6m to next up 8m and can be as much £56 for a return........if getting on and off a few islands will soon add up.

I would tell them the official size of the vehicle and save having to take the step off........they won't come out and measure you in the rain. LoL:whistle::whistle::whistle:

What rain? The sun has been splitting the tree's up here since the beginning of last week. The midge's aren't even out yet. The exceptionally high winter water levels wash away the larvae & it shows but they will make an appearance sooner or later.

Deleted User
I think you will find the western isles are very relaxed about things and wouldn't care about length as long as it looks about right.
A few years ago I was travelling on the Jura to Islay ferry (which only takes about 10 vehicles), the person collecting the fares was talking to one of the passengers and when I tried to pay he wouldn't take any money and just waved me past.

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Good morning, another good sunrise on South Uist. @Bobby22 is right about the price difference.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Lived on mull for nearly 5 years and every time we went on or off they had the tape measure out. We are 9.8 to the tip of the tow ball. As has been said the price jumps up dramatically. If you are close to the upper end of your length category and they think your over they will measure you.
At Oban it was the same chaps and they knew me but still measured, obviously thought all the rain was making it grow.
Used the Corran ferry which didn't measure and the Lochaline-Fishnish did on a couple of occasions.
The ferry to Mull is likely to be busy due to the big reduction in prices, as has been said before they will need to make sure they have room for everyone booked.
If you've booked your ticket and are a tourist you will get on. There have been times when the likes of the island delivery vans and even the post has been pushed back to another ferry so tourist can be taken.
Shawn

OP
OP
Attila the Hen
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Why on earth didn't I think of a sturdy box? Maybe it's all those early mornings taking their toll. I could use it to store dog food! You know the best ideas are always the simple 'obvious' ones........
Many thanks.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I would tell them the official size of the vehicle and save having to take the step off........they won't come out and measure you in the rain
Oh yes they will! We travelled from Oban to Mull this month and were measured from tip to tail (7.5 m which included the folded bike rack). As has been mentioned, if several vehicle owners 'understate' the length of their vehicle at busy times someone at the end may not be able to get on the ferry.

If you have understated and they catch you out you will end up having to pay the extra anyway and could be refused access to the ferry. Perhaps you are better going with the moveable step idea if you want to save money.

KH

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Oh yes they will! We travelled from Oban to Mull this month and were measured from tip to tail (7.5 m which included the folded bike rack). As has been mentioned, if several vehicle owners 'understate' the length of their vehicle at busy times someone at the end may not be able to get on the ferry.

If you have understated and they catch you out you will end up having to pay the extra anyway and could be refused access to the ferry. Perhaps you are better going with the moveable step idea if you want to save money.

KH
Yes......updated @ post 12

OP
OP
Attila the Hen
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Yep, we took the step off and invested in a plastic tool box that we keep ready by the back door & store the dog food in. It's working a treat! When I give the van length as 5.99m I get a quizzical look then a grin when I explain about taking the step off. So far the ferry operators have been great and we are really enjoying ourselves despite the frequent wet and the midges. The crossing from Tobermory to Kilchoan yesterday was fantastic!

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Yep, we took the step off and invested in a plastic tool box that we keep ready by the back door & store the dog food in. It's working a treat! When I give the van length as 5.99m I get a quizzical look then a grin when I explain about taking the step off. So far the ferry operators have been great and we are really enjoying ourselves despite the frequent wet and the midges. The crossing from Tobermory to Kilchoan yesterday was fantastic!
Have any actually measured the van???

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Watch your lenghts on the Isle of Wight Ferry (Wightlink) they check all motorhomes & Vans.
They stopped us , ticket length 6.7 mtr , van 6.72
All sorted at the ticket office after rather strong words. but must remember to book 6.72 next time.

OP
OP
Attila the Hen
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
No, they always ask if we have anything on the back like a bike rack, but otherwise the only potential problem on the ferries has been all those mad twitchers over to see this black legged cuckoo, though what they are doing all looking out to sea beats me. So farThe wildlife has been finding us - we've seen otters, a sea eagle, rock pipits and Dolphins, all from inside the van. Hey Ho, another hard day in paradise......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back