Sep 1, 2010
fife
Funster No
MH
hi-top
Exp
of-on with caravans-40yrs
Hi Funsters
Have bought a 01 smart car and friend is going to tow it from A to B approximately 40 miles to my house. It will be towed on the back of a dolly which lifts the two front wheels off the road. Is this procedure OK for towing and in which position should the key be left in the ignition? At present car is not driveable. Any advice on towing would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sammy

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Unless your friend is called RAC or AA then almost certain will not be legal on the road.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
If car is not drive able then the only legal option is a trailer:)
Brian &Jo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unless your friend is called RAC or AA then almost certain will not be legal on the road.

If car is not drive able then the only legal option is a trailer:)
Brian &Jo

Not so in both cases.

An A-frame or recovery dolly can only be used legally to recover a vehicle which has broken down.

If you tow a car that hasn't broken down using an A-frame or dolly then the law treats the combination as a trailer which must meet the appropriate braking and lighting rules

Worthwhile putting a trailer lighting board on the back though.....saves getting rear ended.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Look here Broken Link Removed
Basically if it's broken down a dolly is legal but moving a non roadworthy vehicle from one place to another is not the same thing so really should be on a trailer.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think we need a definition of "not driveable", the road traffic act is very clear on vehicles that are not road legal, they may only be transported on a trailer that lifts them off of the road (search transporting unfit vehicles). If it is road legal, but simply doesn't work, that is a different matter.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When was the last time you saw a driver being questioned as to the condition of a car on a dolly.

In four years of recovering cars for a living I was not asked once while towing with either a transit or an unmarked Hilux pickup.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
When was the last time you saw a driver being questioned as to the condition of a car on a dolly.

In four years of recovering cars for a living I was not asked once while towing with either a transit or an unmarked Hilux pickup.
I agree, but technically it isn't legal to transport an unroadworthy vehicle on a dolly. All it takes is a copper who's having a bad day!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Time to inject a little off topic frivolity, because this thread has become way too serious I feel.
On a similar note, I never once got stopped and questioned in my youth when I drove my Jag XJS at speeds in excess of 120mph on the A3, however that didn't make it legal.
Also it didn't happen that often, because let's face it. It was an XJS, and its default mode was broken down! :-( I still loved it though!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Either Sammy has edited the op or there's no mention of it not being roadworthy....just undrivable.

Anyway moving on....

Ensure the box IS in neutral by turning on the ignition and selecting neutral then check the gear indicator on the dash clocks shows neutral.
Turn the key off and leave in the ignition.
Selecting neutral does not put it in neutral otherwise and gearbox damage is very expensive.

If this isn't possible, lift the rear wheels, secure the steering wheel with straps in the straight ahead position and tow it backwards.
Don't forget the lighting board.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a friend fetched a broken down smart car home to his farm inside his horsebox. the funniest parts was being pushed down the ramp backwards with teenage son steering but no brakes. like an oversized rollerskate

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Do the wavy video thing and come back in time with me to the early 70's.

At that time I was racing stox and bangers.
Strictly speaking they could be driven but were not exactly road legal..

For about a year I used a dolly to take the cars to tracks
The very week I got major sponsorship which included a car transporting lorry ( albeit only a poxy old BMC threepenny bit ) I was stopped by plod and told in no uncertain terms if I was seen again with the dolly I would get nicked..
And yes, I did have the orange light on the roof and at the time had a small firm set up specifically for breakdown recovery.. even though it did not really exist as such but the name and insurances were all in place

The following meet same plod on the gate and I turn up in the lorry.. He gave me a big smile and thanked me for listening to what he had said LOL !!!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
To keep it extra simple anyone can use a dolly provided (different from the norm when using a dolly)

1. That the relevant road speeds are adhered too
2.The towing vehicle has the correct insurance to carry out recovery
3. The recovered vehicle is being recovered and not Transported (Different insurance requirements for transporting)
4. The said vehicle is fully road legal in terms of MoT. Tax and most importantly Insurance
ps You do risk having both vehicles and dolly confiscated if insurance is not valid
a trailer is the safest option as most policies will have trailer cover (note for the trailer and third parties only not the vehicle on it)
G

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sam and Viv

Sam and Viv

Free Member
Sep 1, 2010
fife
Funster No
MH
hi-top
Exp
of-on with caravans-40yrs
Hi funsters
Firstly I would like to thank every one for there input.When I said the car is not driveable I should have been more clearer the last owner changed the battery, in the process fan belt broke now the dash is saying gearbox 3 lights ?Sorry for the sketchy story but not had a chance to have good look myself got to get it here first.
So let,s get it on the dolly and get it here with all your help.
Thanks and cheers.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just a guess, as I have more sense than to drive one, but I would say it's in third gear.
The dash should say N or neutral.
Either tow backwards or get it in neutral....or better still, fit a new belt and drive it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Not really, with an A frame all the car wheels have working brakes, even with a braked dolly the rear wheels on the road have no working brakes which is why it is illegal.
what's illegal? a dolly isn't ? It is for recovery only.
You think the A frame has working brakes as How can you prove to me 100%,categorically that the brakes are actually working on an A frame ?
A dolly is constructed for what it is actually used for & so is the original A frame when attached to, & steering, the front wheels of the towed vehicle. for recovery only.
The 'modern' version whereby a modification is made to the chassis of the toad , so rendering void the Certificate of Conformity of the original manufacturer & also breaching the "anti-tuning" EC legislation which states that you cannot modify the factory produced vehicle , isn't . It just needs to be tested in court.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
what's illegal? a dolly isn't ? It is for recovery only.
You think the A frame has working brakes as How can you prove to me 100%,categorically that the brakes are actually working on an A frame ?
A dolly is constructed for what it is actually used for & so is the original A frame when attached to, & steering, the front wheels of the towed vehicle. for recovery only.
The 'modern' version whereby a modification is made to the chassis of the toad , so rendering void the Certificate of Conformity of the original manufacturer & also breaching the "anti-tuning" EC legislation which states that you cannot modify the factory produced vehicle , isn't . It just needs to be tested in court.
I was very obviously referring to the original post about using it to move a vehicle from a to b or b to a and not as a recovery tool. Anyway I don't care as I use a trailer.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My my my my my my my my ....... Ohh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear..... Fancy a simple question like how to prep a car for towing on a dolly turning into another A frame debate ... Mmmmm :whistle::whistle::whistle::D:D:D

Meki

Free Member
May 18, 2016
The Earth
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Legal or not, I personnally would only tow with a proper, made for purpose, trailer

vicwo

Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
since 1998
Here we go again. A perfectly simple question is going to go on about towing Smart cars and also the legality of a -frames. I'm over in France having a beer after towing an automatic car on an a-frame. Yawn

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I have got a smart tow a-frame system and we have got a car transporter trailer, but i prefer the a frame every time, but need the trailer for Spain, so best off both worlds.;)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Does anyone in the informed collective know if it's OK to tow a car on an a frame in Poland? #justasking

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back