Gas bottles in France (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
What are the most commonly available (small) gas bottle makes in France, and do they share the same regulator screw in fixings as the UK standard?

Also, why is it said that you have to have external fixings in order to use gpl, why cannot you just take out the bottle and refill it out of the van, as you would if you were using it for a BBQ or welding?

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
not sure which small sizes are available in france, however the bottle connection will be one of three (AFAIK).... a 21.8 LH 'butane' screw fit, and two 'clip on' fittings of either 21 or 27 mm from memory.
none of these are interchangeable with a uk POL (bullet shaped) hose.
some continental vans sold in the UK might come with the 21.8 LH fitting (ours did) but if not, either a change of hose or an adaptor will be needed.

re: 'just refilling' any old cylinder.....no.
cylinders are filled to 80% and proper refillables will have a cut off valve to ensure no overfilling.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Is this any good to you? Looks fairly local. All you would need to do is take it to a Bricolage, Filling Station etc in France and get a refill. Has a regulator with it.

There are all shapes and sizes of Propane & Butane bottles in France at both DIY, Hardware stores & Filling Stations but a lot of them don't sell the regulators with them and you may have to buy one somewhere else.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
not sure which small sizes are available in france, however the bottle connection will be one of three (AFAIK).... a 21.8 LH 'butane' screw fit, and two 'clip on' fittings of either 21 or 27 mm from memory.
none of these are interchangeable with a uk POL (bullet shaped) hose.
some continental vans sold in the UK might come with the 21.8 LH fitting (ours did) but if not, either a change of hose or an adaptor will be needed.

re: 'just refilling' any old cylinder.....no.
cylinders are filled to 80% and proper refillables will have a cut off valve to ensure no overfilling.
No, I was referring to a genuine refillable such as a Gaslow. As regards the fitting, our present cylinders are Calor 3.9kg Propane, so I assume the fitting is 21.8LH? It's just a screw in LH thread, it doesn't look like a bullet.
Is this any good to you? Looks fairly local. All you would need to do is take it to a Bricolage, Filling Station etc in France and get a refill. Has a regulator with it.

There are all shapes and sizes of Propane & Butane bottles in France at both DIY, Hardware stores & Filling Stations but a lot of them don't sell the regulators with them and you may have to buy one somewhere else.
Ver-r-r-y interesting. I live just 3 miles from Shepton Mallet. Except I'm in France ... Thanks though!!!!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
The French gas bottles such as Butagaz and those sold in Intermarche are 21.8 LH thread.
A Calor 4.5 kg butane bottle is also 21.8 LH thread.
I have 1 of each (French bottles) which I use in France.
The Le Cube are clip on.

Deleted User
Calor 3.9 propane bottles have a male connector with a semispherical (ovoid?) end that looks like a bullet though I have seen some with a rubber washer.

4.5 butane bottles have a female connector that is apparently the same as some French bottles.

The threads may indeed both be 21.8 LH thread but one is male and one female.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The key to your answer is what you mean by 'Small.
The french have a small??? 6kgs bottle that they call Le Cube. It uses a clip on type fitting. Another type can be bought from either LeClerc or Intermarche. The LeClerc one is called Claire (I jest not) and the Intermarche one is anon. They come in 10Kgs and have a LH thread POL @21.8 just like our small dumpy Butane bottles. They can be bought/hired (minimal fee 1€ish) and come in both Butane and Propane. The current cost of such a bottle is around€20.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
The key to your answer is what you mean by 'Small.
The french have a small??? 6kgs bottle that they call Le Cube. It uses a clip on type fitting. Another type can be bought from either LeClerc or Intermarche. The LeClerc one is called Claire (I jest not) and the Intermarche one is anon. They come in 10Kgs and have a LH thread POL @21.8 just like our small dumpy Butane bottles. They can be bought/hired (minimal fee 1€ish) and come in both Butane and Propane. The current cost of such a bottle is around€20.
The small size I need is something not much larger than a 3.9kg propane calor. The 10kg would be too large. I've just measured some of the smallest dumpy ones and reckon that I could just get one of those plus a UK 3.9kg in the locker. At the moment I'm hoping that my second UK Calor will last out the next few days, so it may not be necessary, but for future use, it may still be worth getting one. I've just looked on line at the Cube and that looks interesting, I shall look one out and measure it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Try this:

Le Cube: - 14.5h X 11 X 11 inches or in new money 370 X 280 X 280 mm.
Has a 27mm clip on regulator
lecube.png

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
yes, you could try the cube, which requires the french 'clip' adaptor....however, your std uk hose will terninate in a bullet shaped POL male fitting which currently screws into your calor propane bottle.
you can het an adaptor to convert the POL into a 'butane' female 21.8 lh fitting....it is this fitting which can accept many of the adaptors made for local markets,including the clip one for the cube.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 38

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
yes, you could try the cube, which requires the french 'clip' adaptor....however, your std uk hose will terninate in a bullet shaped POL male fitting which currently screws into your calor propane bottle.
you can het an adaptor to convert the POL into a 'butane' female 21.8 lh fitting....it is this fitting which can accept many of the adaptors made for local markets,including the clip one for the cube.

Thanks for posting this TW. I was laid in bed following my post and I remembered the adaptor. Should have added it to mine. Doh!

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Thanks each! According to my calcs, this should fit. It looks like we might just last out with what we have, but we could still get a cube while we are here, for next time. Very helpful replies, thanks again.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Could you advise where I could buy this unit? There's one very like it on ebay, but it's just a drawing and I'm not sure about it.
Ps, I didn't get a Cube but I did get the TWINY Pro cylinder from ebay on my return to the UK that namwaldog kindly provided the link for above.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Amongst the detritus in our sous-sol there should be a French cube left over from the days of our gas BBQ.

I will happily give it away if it might be of use to a Funster but before I ask Mme the tech expert to take and upload photos is anyone likely to want/need it.

We will be at Soumeras in Sept so large Jiffy bag not required.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back