Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Hi,

I've just topped up my oil prior to going to Europe at the weeked for a couple of months. My last trip out was post service, so the oil was changed 1400 miles ago. I topped up by 200ml, or 1/5th litre. Is this excessive for 1400 miles?? What do you think??

Engine is a 2.3 Fiat/Ducato TD.

Thanks.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What do you think??

Engine is a 2.3 Fiat/Ducato TD.

Thanks.

Never put oil in our 2l BUT how do you know it was right before and right now ?

It seems very dependent on vehicle level ( and when you take the reading ).

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Apart for first 2000 miles and servicing in 15000 I have never had to put oil in it always runs there or there about, I have just looked prior to going away and it is still OK.
I run a 2.2 Ford.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
savantuk

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I'm assuming that the level was correct when it was returned from service Brian. Frankly, I wasn't that bothered, because the level was close to max, but because I'll be doing around 1500 miles over the weekend, I thought I'd top it to the max mark. My drive is just about plumb. 200ml is a tiny amount though, hardly worth bothering about. Handbook says 450ml/1000km consumption. This is 200ml/2200km. Far less than nominal.

Doug

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I'm assuming that the level was correct when it was returned from service

Never assume anything, especially were, err, 'professionals' are concerned.

Me, cynical, never:Blush:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

I resemble that remark:RollEyes:

OP
OP
savantuk

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.

I have to say that I've never had cause to doubt the quality of service from the same garage I've been using for 20 odd years.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
from what i was taught a diesel, depending on how driven, can replace any burnt/used oil with water (internal engine condensation) over time but unless you drain the oil you'll never know as the oil floats on water and your dipstick will still show max oil level.

dont know how true this is.......Geo ?

cater_racer

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Chester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
from what i was taught a diesel, depending on how driven, can replace any burnt/used oil with water (internal engine condensation) over time but unless you drain the oil you'll never know as the oil floats on water and your dipstick will still show max oil level.

dont know how true this is.......Geo ?

Without any intention to offend that's c**p Pappa, you've been misinformed, if you get water in the oil it emulsifies and you get "white scum" on the filler cap, dipstick etc. Only after a long hot run (when it boils off) would things look normal. Water in your oil means your engine will soon be toast, brown bread, dead. Especially if its a turbo D.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
All I would say is that I have nether put oil in either of my previous vans or this one or indeed any of my modern day cars. My sound fool hardy but I rarely check the oil. Its all computerised to warn me of a massive problem. I change my oil and filter myself at least by 5k or after a very long trip. I search for any leaks. JTDs of this age and milage just should not be burning oil of that ammount in such a small space of time.

My answer, Garage misfilled or you have a leak. If you have no leak I would go for option a. If your really unlucky and you have burnt that ammount of oil in 1400 miles, then you have a serious engine problem.:cry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Without any intention to offend that's c**p Pappa, you've been misinformed, if you get water in the oil it emulsifies and you get "white scum" on the filler cap, dipstick etc. Only after a long hot run (when it boils off) would things look normal. Water in your oil means your engine will soon be toast, brown bread, dead. Especially if its a turbo D.

absolutely no offence taken :thumb:

i always had my doubts about it anyway but never gave it anymore thought until this thread appeared. :Doh::Blush:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Wow so many facts and figures, so many matter of fact statements and you all failed to ask the most important question
Back to skoooooooooool for the lot of you:RollEyes:

What mileage has the vehicle covered:Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its only oil . does it matter if it burns abit . i like the idea of an engine that uses alittle oil ,never bothered me so long as its not loads.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wow so many facts and figures, so many matter of fact statements and you all failed to ask the most important question

its an '06 ducato Geo, so unless its been used like a taxi i cant see that having much bearing....surely cant be much more than 50 or 60k tops.:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I've just topped up my oil prior to going to Europe at the weeked for a couple of months. My last trip out was post service, so the oil was changed 1400 miles ago. I topped up by 200ml, or 1/5th litre. Is this excessive for 1400 miles?? What do you think??
Geo has a point re. what kind of mileage the engine has done......general wear 'n tear etc.

By comparison my '93 Transit, straight 2.5di (non-turbo) with 113k on the clock, used just 1/2 a litre on a 4,500 mile tour round europe this year which i felt wasn't too bad considering it also leaks oil (local Ford mechanic cannot find where though!).

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp

Well Geo, I looked at the picture and saw it was a ducato, Being it was a 2.3 I took the initiative and decided it was between 2004-2009 being that the OP ad not previously commented that it has a judder in reverse I took this to be somewhere between 04-06 . I then cleverly noted that the posters info suggests that he has an 06 model. On top of this his hobbies are reading walking and listening to folk music, and the OP is retired and therefore will be busy, indeed he states his last trip out was post service, so this poor gentleman may of well been stuck in his house since 1953 . This equates to the MH having I recon less than 30k on the clock, Indeed I would suggest around the 18k mark.

So thats how I arrived at my judgement :thumb: This does however explain why Im not a mechanic because to arrive at that answer would of cost the punter 1/2 in labour. ::bigsmile:

Also may I suggest this. Im pretty sure that 200mls is the difference between a full oil and filter change and just a straight oil fill. therefore is it possibe that the garage looked at the wrong figure and simply filled 200mls short.:Blush:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Also may I suggest this. Im pretty sure that 200mls is the difference between a full oil and filter change and just a straight oil fill. therefore is it possibe that the garage looked at the wrong figure and simply filled 200mls short.:Blush:

or simply did the oil/filter change, filled the oil to the required level on the dipstick and started the engine........then walked away without topping up after the filter filled with oil.

Oh ! thats basicaly what you said...innit?:Doh:

OP
OP
savantuk

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Well Geo, I looked at the picture and saw it was a ducato, Being it was a 2.3 I took the initiative and decided it was between 2004-2009 being that the OP ad not previously commented that it has a judder in reverse I took this to be somewhere between 04-06 . I then cleverly noted that the posters info suggests that he has an 06 model. On top of this his hobbies are reading walking and listening to folk music, and the OP is retired and therefore will be busy, indeed he states his last trip out was post service, so this poor gentleman may of well been stuck in his house since 1953 . This equates to the MH having I recon less than 30k on the clock, Indeed I would suggest around the 18k mark.

So thats how I arrived at my judgement :thumb: This does however explain why Im not a mechanic because to arrive at that answer would of cost the punter 1/2 in labour. ::bigsmile:

Hagnap, you are indeed Miss Marple:ROFLMAO:

The Vehicle in question is indeed an '06 model, with 18,400 on the clock. I suggest that whatever vocation you currently have, that you consider becoming a celebrity detective:Smile:

Thanks everybody for the useful and erudite information.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My point exactly and as I suspected
The engine isn't even run in yet and will burn oil until all is settled, another 10k at least, so miss Marples your deductions were incorrect, as you thought I was alluding to a worn engine:RollEyes::Doh:
yours
Sherlock Bones:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
My point exactly and as I suspected
The engine isn't even run in yet and will burn oil until all is settled, another 10k at least, so miss Marples your deductions were incorrect, as you thought I was alluding to a worn engine:RollEyes::Doh:
yours
Sherlock Bones:thumb:

And thats why you own a garage and I work with peoples minds :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back