Free Member
May 19, 2016
Derby
Funster No
MH
considering
Exp
Hello all,

I am about to buy a low mileage vehicle that used to be a mobile library with the intention of converting it. Needs to be big because partner is permanent wheel chair user and most toiler/shower facilities on site are unusable. The plated weight is 10500kg and I want to down plate to 7500kg. I could drive at present weight because I've got the licence but Cheaper at 7500. Can anybody tell me please if I would have to make mechanical changes or just weigh and fill in a form plus payment. Thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The conventional route is to speak to a company called SV Tech. It may be possible to do it yourself but going through them will be easier.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I cant argue with the advice given above but Down Rating is a lot simpler than uprating, and as it wont effect any Vehicle Excise Duty (Road Tax) due I believe
you can diy if you prefer.
Simply fill in the V5 weigh section as if it were a correction showing the new weight you want to apply.
you will still retain the original train weights subject to staying within the legal limits of course
You will need the help of e-bay to obtain a new weight plate, on the plate its up to you what weights you want to apply to each axle(Id work out a % similar to the originals) and stick it next to the original and when loading keep in mind axle weight limit as you can be under total weight but over axle weight as can any vehicle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As @Geo says no need to use anyone if you're down rating, just fill in section 7 of the V5.

It is your responsibility however to ensure that the weight you choose is viable for the vehicle so a trip to the weigh bridge first is probably in order. If you choose a weight that is less than the vehicle actually weighs and you ever get checked you'll be in trouble.

Also if you change your mind later and want to uprate it back you have to start the process from scratch using SVTech or someone similar. The fact that it's been plated higher in the past won't have any relevance

OP
OP
G

Gabriel

Free Member
May 19, 2016
Derby
Funster No
MH
considering
Exp
Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone,

Just to clarify, there is no difference in vehicle excise duty for a 10500kg and 75000kg?

OP
OP
G

Gabriel

Free Member
May 19, 2016
Derby
Funster No
MH
considering
Exp
sorry, forgot to add. I have read that there may be engineering changes to a vehicle when downrating, this does not apply to 75000kg going down but does to bigger stuff, any thoughts?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you may find there are items you have to change . we used to lower 10 ton trucks to 7.5ton and had to raise the rear bump stops with a steel plate . sv tec will let you know .
then it had to go to the local ministry station for them to check . we had to paint the alteration s with yellow paint as if not on the inspection it would fail.
thjere are or was quite a few commercial body and chassis conerters . sv tec are the prominant m,home one as well as commercials . dvsa if you ring them will tell you of a local one.

OP
OP
G

Gabriel

Free Member
May 19, 2016
Derby
Funster No
MH
considering
Exp
I thought it might be cheaper road tax and easier to sell in the future. But have since read threads that say the weight does not matter it's the classification that does. So if the vehicle is re-classified as a motorhome then any one can drive it. Any thoughts

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone,

Just to clarify, there is no difference in vehicle excise duty for a 10500kg and 75000kg?
No difference if its registered as a Private Heavy Goods (PHGV).... ie: not used for hire or reward or carrying commercial goods.
Currently £165 pa.

As you have the licence (C or C+E) I would leave as is, 3000kg is a hell of a lot of lost payload and you won't know the actual weight until the conversion is finished and its been on the scales....you MAY find you have very little spare payload.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
To change the body type to motor caravan DVSA now require the outside to resemble a motor home....Windows, hab door etc.
The days of a large panel truck with a mattress thrown in are long gone
There are also minimum interior requirements as well which you will find by googling but include a bed, seating and table, water supply, sink, wardrobe or cupboard storage etc.
Seating can be convertible to a bed and the table can be removable or fixed.
Oh yes, the MOT becomes a class 4, same as a car, whether you downrate or not once registered as a motorcaravan.

OP
OP
G

Gabriel

Free Member
May 19, 2016
Derby
Funster No
MH
considering
Exp
That's great thanks
I thought that re-classifying as a motorhome might be better for insurance, e.g getting it though the Camping and Caravanning Club.
Also if I wanted to sell in the future might be more straightforward.
As you say, probably best to keep the weight at 10.5. I've got the licence but a buyer might not but as I understand it, so long as it's classified a motorhome (and that's what I'd be selling it as) then the weight does not effect what licence is needed to drive it and easier to sell?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
so long as it's classified a motorhome (and that's what I'd be selling it as) then the weight does not effect what licence is needed to drive it
I know you can't reply as you have used your free posts but....

The weight still has an impact on licence category required regardless of what it's registered as.
Up to 7500kg needs a C1 minimum.
Over 7500kg needs a C minimum

Unless you believe the bullsh!t the dealers salesman tells you in the desperate hope of a sale.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
changing it to a m.home at 10ton are you sure you have the licence . ?
its another can of worms .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
come on pappa is getting old and dementia is setting in .
he means well. ha ha
actually c1 or d1 can cover it depends on how you got c1 or d1

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
come on pappa is getting old and dementia is setting in .
he means well. ha ha
actually c1 can cover it depends on how you got c1
C1 can't cover it in any circumstances Alan, I thought you of all people would know that.
If you took a recent C1 test rather than grandfather rights its the max train weight which changes from 8250kg to 12000kg...the prime mover still remains at 7500kg.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
C1 can't cover it in any circumstances Alan, I thought you of all people would know that.
If you took a recent C1 test rather than grandfather rights its the max train weight which changes from 8250kg to 12000kg...the prime mover still remains at 7500kg.
yes sorry. i ,m getting dementia as well. ha ha
adventure with dementia ,wake up in a new place every day.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i do remember things from 50 yrs ago but forget things from 50 minutes ago. ha ha . i,m sure i,m turning into my dad.

OP
OP
G

Gabriel

Free Member
May 19, 2016
Derby
Funster No
MH
considering
Exp
My licence is C, D1, C1E, CE, D1E, So I should be OK to drive it. But I am SOOO confused. I have read that if a vehicle is classed as a private Heavy, a horsebox (private) or a motorhome then it can be driven without a heavy licence, such a kids driving horseboxes. I read that the weight is not the point it's what it is and how used. So motorhomes that a based on coaches might weigh over 7.5t but can be driven on a car or C1 licence. Read this on another forum and there was disagreement. Where do I go to get the definitive answer?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
private doesnt make it not heavy goods .
it only gets round the cpc or operators licence.
some do say a coach licence will get away with it but be prepared for court action .
does your licence say c. or is that a miss print. have you taken a hgv test.
years ago in 91 most lost the d part of their licence that allowed coaches and buses not for hire and reward .
the restriction 101 would be on the licence.
many youngsters are getting caught just pulling trailers of the wrong weight . the police and vosa love horse shows round here .
it would be nice to send you to a gvt site but they are very confusing . best talk with a local transport manager .

OP
OP
G

Gabriel

Free Member
May 19, 2016
Derby
Funster No
MH
considering
Exp
sorry, it is C got a class 1 HGV in 96' though only ever drove for three days, things happened.
The vehicle was custom built on a lorry chassis as a library and is classed as private heavy.
Yes I have tried to understands gvt stuff..... got confused.
How do those with grandad car licences drive the heavy motorhomes over 7.5? thanks for your patience.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back