How the he*l do you clean the white Rapido plastic locker and door handles. (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
There must be Rapido and other motorhome owners who have come across the difficulty of cleaning the white plastic locker and door handles. I have tried most things even taken handles off and scrubbed them with bath cleaner which only did half a job. They are not helped by the fact they are lightly embossed and seem to attract stains like there’s no tomorrow. I’m not a fastidious cleaning nut but I would prefer the trim looking better than the one in the picture below. Just hoping someone knows how these can be cleaned easily or a particular product that can be used. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_5387.jpg
    IMG_5387.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5388.jpg
    IMG_5388.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_5389.jpg
    IMG_5389.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 278
OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes Cif is what I scrubbed them with but I haven't used Charlie!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's a rather porous plastic and might be a better long term solution to prime and spray paint them

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Andy do you have the same problem? How do I get hold of Charlie?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
From the product description this would fit the bill
Amazon product ASIN B0190NSX3S
Link won't work if you have adblock turned on.

VuPlex (445 ml has been specifically designed for a transparent coloured plastic & developed, but because of its features an almost unlimited Einsatzbereich. that cleans, polishes and seals and makes the surface easily it resistant against dirt, any Art. VuPlex Removes dirt, cleanses the pores of these areas and seals in one process anti-static properties to keep dust fern. a Bottle VuPlex (375gr./445 ml is sufficient for approx. 30 m². VuPlex is especially well-suited for Bootsfenster Tent & Persenningfenster and Caravanscheiben. It gently cleanses and makes it appears clear that salt & from dirt the pores of plastic, solid VuPlex be removed as a Polymerfilm on the treated surfaces, leaves perlt, water is important is used. This only further some examples of how versatile VuPlex can be Used-try it-Bootsfenster: & hatches-HUL &-windows made of PVC Helmet Visor-Taucherbrillen Caravanscheiben-Windscreen-polished metal surfaces e.g.:-sticky & Innenraumverkleidungen-lamps, lamps & Headlights windscreens surface-Painted ceramic-granite, & Porzellanflächen E. G. in the kitchen sold only in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. (€65,16 / 1 Litre)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Two things well worth a try.

Please keep both products off the decals on the van though.

Autosmart G101 . It's an all purpose dilutable cleaner. To get that grime out the mix would need to be quite strong. 5 parts water to one part G101 is a starting point and add more G101 if required.

Also there is a dedicated UPVC cleaner . There is a solvent based one and also a cream based one. Both are by Everbuild. I would try the cream one first and move up to the solvent if that doesent work.

Please do not get that solvent on the coachbuilt part of the van or anywhere near those decals ! Mask off the handles with tape . Best tape is low tack 3M.

Don't use T cut its full of ammonia and will add to the problem !

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I had the same issue on the tin tent, tried most things to get the lockers back to the original white shade and finally found a product that did the trick. Muc off caravan cleaner.(y)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

That's the stuff... A genuine all round top cleaning solution.

Get it from your Autosmart dealer for around a tenner for 5 litres. They are trade suppliers but will sell to the public .

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
From the product description this would fit the bill
Amazon product ASIN B0190NSX3S
Link won't work if you have adblock turned on.

VuPlex (445 ml has been specifically designed for a transparent coloured plastic & developed, but because of its features an almost unlimited Einsatzbereich. that cleans, polishes and seals and makes the surface easily it resistant against dirt, any Art. VuPlex Removes dirt, cleanses the pores of these areas and seals in one process anti-static properties to keep dust fern. a Bottle VuPlex (375gr./445 ml is sufficient for approx. 30 m². VuPlex is especially well-suited for Bootsfenster Tent & Persenningfenster and Caravanscheiben. It gently cleanses and makes it appears clear that salt & from dirt the pores of plastic, solid VuPlex be removed as a Polymerfilm on the treated surfaces, leaves perlt, water is important is used. This only further some examples of how versatile VuPlex can be Used-try it-Bootsfenster: & hatches-HUL &-windows made of PVC Helmet Visor-Taucherbrillen Caravanscheiben-Windscreen-polished metal surfaces e.g.:-sticky & Innenraumverkleidungen-lamps, lamps & Headlights windscreens surface-Painted ceramic-granite, & Porzellanflächen E. G. in the kitchen sold only in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. (€65,16 / 1 Litre)
Hi Andy Thanks for all your help and input...................................weeeeee looks like I have I've found Charlie!

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
White vinegar and bicarb of soda - make a paste and work in with old toothbrush or cloth - I use this to clean all sorts from stained plastics to tile grouting etc etc -no chemicals and removes stains and cleans beautifully. Another useful product is from the Astonish range sold in tubs, Oven & Cookware cleaner - says on tub "Astonish Oven & Cookware Paste has been specifically formulated for use around the home. This superb product cleans all types of enamel, porcelain, ovens, cookware, patio furniture." I buy this from the pound shop.

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That's the stuff... A genuine all round top cleaning solution.

Get it from your Autosmart dealer for around a tenner for 5 litres. They are trade suppliers but will sell to the public .
Hi Charlie many thanks for your input; you appear to be a legend on this site and it's nice to get a response from you. I will give Autosmart a go. Again many thanks. Phil

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
White vinegar and bicarb of soda - make a paste and work in with old toothbrush or cloth - I use this to clean all sorts from stained plastics to tile grouting etc etc -no chemicals and removes stains and cleans beautifully. Another useful product is from the Astonish range sold in tubs, Oven & Cookware cleaner - says on tub "Astonish Oven & Cookware Paste has been specifically formulated for use around the home. This superb product cleans all types of enamel, porcelain, ovens, cookware, patio furniture." I buy this from the pound shop.
Thank you, I have a number of products to try but it looks like you have come up with the least expensive. Cheers

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Can I just repeat my words of caution when using ALL of these products all of which are aggressive .

Oven cleaners with respect are best left for cleaning the oven....

Care must be taken and that is why I say take care. All products of this type can if used carefully have great results but conversely some can cause damage. Some are worse than others though so if using something like an oven cleaner or something specifically formulated for a hyper aggressive purpose be aware it can go horribly wrong.

If using G 101 which is my first choice mask of any decals. Mix the solution weak to start and for cleaning those handles stipple the solution on with a medium soft brush. Allow it to dwell but don't allow it to dry.

Rinse really well with water to dissipate any remaining solution.

If stains are bad it may be necessary to repeat or increase the G101 ratio to water ..

There is a cream cleaner that helps to seal and prevent staining which I will try to find later . I'm on my phone just now which limits my already poor abilities ....

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This came up before but cannot find the thread..

there is a method of cleaning up old plastic computer cases using a home brew of hydrogen peroxide, Vanish, & glycerine.. .. never tried it yet.. so cannot say whether it works or not.. but may give it a go as there are several plastic covers on the Hymer that could do with cleaning..

The original magical "Retr0bright" gel mixture that was found to work is:

1 pint (500ml) Hydrogen Peroxide, 10 to 15% strength (40 vol) (available from hairdressers' supplies, e.g. the 'Sally Beauty' franchise in the UK)
2 heaped tablespoonfuls of Xanthan Gum (available from health food shops or online)
1 level teaspoonful of Glycerine (available from pharmacies)
1/4 teaspoonful of "Oxy" laundry booster

this is the project .. http://www.retr0bright.com

this is the recipe .. http://www.retr0bright.com/make.html

Using Retr0bright .. http://www.retr0bright.com/use.html

Last edited:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If lock mechanisms are present in the handles give them a wee spray with WD 40 before using and cleaning solutions. Remember all of the products contain ingredients that can cause degradation . Protect them !

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That works for the locker doors but won't on the hab door or any other lock where the key doesn't turn 180 degrees.

You've got to dismantle the assembly to get those barrels out.
Sorry but that isn't correct on all zadi locks
All of mine are 90 degree turn
image.jpeg

Edit
Correct on the hab door but that is black already (y)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Sorry but that isn't correct on all zadi locks
All of mine are 90 degree turn
View attachment 106687

I had to change mine after the keys were stolen. The locker doors which were full turn were easy, took about 20 minutes to do all 10. The hab door lock only turns 90 degrees and it won't come out with the removal tool.

On all the lockers the tool needed to turn the barrels further than 90 degrees to release them so I'm assuming that's why it won't release the one on the hab door. I suppose the other possibility is that it's something to do with the central locking linkage but I haven't taken all the panels off to investigate yet. That's a job that's on my list to do.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Incorrect on the hab door too :LOL:
All in the technique and ALL my locks are 90 degree

First unlock it with the key rotate barrel 90 clockwise hold barrel in place with thumb then replace key with tool jiggle and pull
Locker doors are not sprung so just unlock insert tool and jiggle and pull
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back