Newcastle to South of France, costs (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
For those of us who inhabit the more civilised area of the Country and also travel to the South of France (Agde), here is a rough comparison of costs going via the Chunnel / Rouen, or going via ferry to Amsterdam and driving via Lyon. No campsite costs put on.

Via Chunnel, tolls approx E85, miles 1084, plus tunnel costs (tesco vouchers for us)

Via ferry, tolls approx E93 miles 900, plus ferry cost of £210

papaken

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
I travel down to either Caimbridge or Hartford C&CC for an overnight then run to tunnel don't like the run down but with her in charge refusing ferry no choice

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
[QUOTE="Geordies, post: 1555750, member: 26231"

]Via Chunnel, tolls approx E85, miles 1084, plus tunnel costs (tesco vouchers for us)

Via ferry, tolls approx E93 miles 900, plus ferry cost of £210[/QUOTE]

I'm a bit confused by this, I drove from the ferry terminal to Cite Europe 3 weeks ago, took me 10 minutes so can't be 184 miles away, and I never paid 8 euro in tolls???

Oh, and the ferry cost £42 on the way out and £48 on the way back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
You forgot to allow for dinner on the ferry and 5 hours propping up the bar.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
[QUOTE="Geordies, post: 1555750, member: 26231"

]
Oh, and the ferry cost £42 on the way out and £48 on the way back.

@Hymie I think the OP is referring to the Amsterdam ferry price, although that does seems very good. Also, judging by the mileage, he's quoting figures starting in Newcastle as Amsterdam is a lot further from Agdes than Calais!

We use the Channel Tunnel (like OP wife doesn't like ferries) again using Tesco vouchers - but cost would usually be about £180 return. With the deals available ferries are always going to be cheaper. However if you aren't in a rush to get to S. France there's no need use toll roads at all. Although the mileage is higher, at the reduced speeds economy is probably better unless you're very good at keeping the speed down on the autoroutes. By judicious use of aires I reckon I could still do the trip down through France in less than 3 days and have a more interesting drive.

Hate motorway driving, did too much of it when I used to drive tour coaches, but we were always in a rush then of course.

Just personal preference and hopefully adding a bit more info for other readers.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
For those of us who inhabit the more civilised area of the Country and also travel to the South of France (Agde), here is a rough comparison of costs going via the Chunnel / Rouen, or going via ferry to Amsterdam and driving via Lyon. No campsite costs put on.

Via Chunnel, tolls approx E85, miles 1084, plus tunnel costs (tesco vouchers for us)

Via ferry, tolls approx E93 miles 900, plus ferry cost of £210

I thought you were travelling from Newcastle....:whistle:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
As we don't do Tesco our preference from Durham is the Hull ferry then non toll routes to admire the villages. On a 12 week stint as we are now our total campsite fees are less than £200. The Hull Ferry isn't cheap but factoring everything else in its still better than travelling way down south on English tracks.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We are headin in the direction of the Swiss, French Alps in a couple of weeks and will be catching the Hull ferry to Zeebrugge. The cost of our ferry for 2 adults and van on the way out and 4 adults and van on way home booked with CC is £330. I haven't worked out the exact mileage but should save me around 300 miles with a more relaxing trip.

Before anyone says we aren't bringing back a couple of immigrants we're collecting our daughter and her boyfriend at the end of their Interailing trip.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
@Hymie I think the OP is referring to the Amsterdam ferry price, although that does seems very good. Also, judging by the mileage, he's quoting figures starting in Newcastle as Amsterdam is a lot further from Agdes than Calais!

We use the Channel Tunnel (like OP wife doesn't like ferries) again using Tesco vouchers - but cost would usually be about £180 return. With the deals available ferries are always going to be cheaper. However if you aren't in a rush to get to S. France there's no need use toll roads at all. Although the mileage is higher, at the reduced speeds economy is probably better unless you're very good at keeping the speed down on the autoroutes. By judicious use of aires I reckon I could still do the trip down through France in less than 3 days and have a more interesting drive.

Hate motorway driving, did too much of it when I used to drive tour coaches, but we were always in a rush then of course.

Just personal preference and hopefully adding a bit more info for other readers.

Thank you for explaining that that TerryL.

We left Calais around 3.30 pm on Saturday 23rd April and were parked up in Roses on the Costa Daurada at 2.30 pm on the Monday, never did tolls and stopped for a big shop on the way, don't think I'll bother with that route again though, the journey through the Massif Central was sheer tedium, up and down hill for hour after hour.

We did stop on motorway aires rather than track off to find "safer" aires, didn't get gassed, still got my ipod and my £2000 and had no problem on the way down or back up.

Hymie.

Reactions: JJ

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Agree Massif Central route can be a pain, which is why we always go down the west coast way when heading for Spain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back