Free Member
Apr 28, 2016
Surrey (for now) :)
Funster No
MH
not yet acquired
Exp
2 holidays in UK
so, how does it work?... you park up at a nice little pub with the agreement form the landlord that you can sleepover in his car park, you promptly change into your best drinking shorts and loud shirt and take advantage of his real ale and vino tinto for her in doors... 5 hours later you stagger back (like a mouse) to the MH and proceed to climb the stairs to bed... Can the old bill knock on your door and do you for drunk in possession of a motor vehicle (lets say even if the ignition keys are locked in the glove box?)

RSVP

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I believe not unless there was a clear indication you intend to drive away.
Probably a grey area though, let's hope any pc would use their common sense.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I think the issue in this circumstance is that you still have access to the keys to start the vehicle, and that you are in the vehicle & are p*ssed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
so, how does it work?... you park up at a nice little pub with the agreement form the landlord that you can sleepover in his car park, you promptly change into your best drinking shorts and loud shirt and take advantage of his real ale and vino tinto for her in doors... 5 hours later you stagger back (like a mouse) to the MH and proceed to climb the stairs to bed... Can the old bill knock on your door and do you for drunk in possession of a motor vehicle (lets say even if the ignition keys are locked in the glove box?)

RSVP
Good point. I watch this with interest..Roy..

OP
OP
lammyboy

lammyboy

Free Member
Apr 28, 2016
Funster No
MH
not yet acquired
Exp
2 holidays in UK
Do you (all) mostly ignore this and just get on with it? I also thought of getting a secret box fitted somewhere to hold the keys and passports and valuables - maybe that would work?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Do you (all) mostly ignore this and just get on with it?
Yes there has to be a clear intention to drive. If the PC knocked on your door (extremely unlikely ) and you were in you night clothes or had silver screens on its pretty obvious you have no such intention.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
The fact that you are on private land, as opposed to the public highway, may, or may not, make a difference to how the law operates too.

OP
OP
lammyboy

lammyboy

Free Member
Apr 28, 2016
Funster No
MH
not yet acquired
Exp
2 holidays in UK
Well, that was an informative hour, stopped me working at least :) and now all Im thinking about is going to Mugello for the Moto GP tonight :) - enjoy the rain if you're in the UK - Its good for the plants...

Thanks for the input

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
enjoy the rain if you're in the UK
We are, it makes such a refreshing change from the heatwave we have had......Hotter then Spain, it seems........And in the UK, we have grass and trees that need watering. :sneaky:

Take Skegness for example.......*BANG*..........:)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
aah Skegness, or should that be aarrr!:Eeek: Skegness?
Always thought you had a chunk of pirate in you Pete.........Pirate Pete........Sounds good.........Jim lad. :)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Something i never have to worry about i am glad to say.. Dont drink lol.. On the other hand if ever i was breatherlised for choclate i would be way over the limit lol.. And as for my dress attire in the van.. I always dress like i am ready for bed lol

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Intention to drive must surely be important. Otherwise being outside a vehicle to which you have keys when you are intoxicated would be an offence.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
5 hours later you stagger back (like a mouse) to the MH and proceed to climb the stairs to bed..

Done to death a thousand times on here but you have highlighted the biggest danger point, just as you put the key in the lock, you are so vulnerable, go on, prove you are not going to drive it.

Does not matter where you hide the keys, you can always get them and most have more than one set anyway.

Enjoy Mugello. We'll be watching from the best seats.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Intention to drive must surely be important. Otherwise being outside a vehicle to which you have keys when you are intoxicated would be an offence.
And it could be, according to the circumstances. Read the threads that @JJ linked to above - all the arguments are in there.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
There is a lot of rubbish written about this, even Outandaboutlive have it wrong on their website.
The likelihood is, no one is going to knock on your motorhome door and ask if you have been drinking, or demand you take a breath test, unless you are just about to drive away from the pub.......

Whether or not a person is in charge of a motor vehicle depends on the facts of each individual case, the key question being whether the person is in control of the vehicle and whether in the circumstances there is a realistic possibility of him taking control of the vehicle.

If it is alleged that you were “in charge” of a motor vehicle whilst the proportion of alcohol in your breath/blood/urine was above the prescribed limit or you were “unfit”, then you will have a defence if you can show that there was no likelihood of you driving your vehicle whilst you remained in excess of the prescribed limit or unfit.

This type of defence will often present itself where a person decides to sleep in their vehicle after a night out or after finding themselves unexpectedly without a place to sleep. In these circumstances whilst you may be in charge of the vehicle and may even have switched the engine on to get warm, you will be acquitted of the offence if you can show (the burden of proof is on the defence) that you would not have driven the vehicle whilst still over the limit.

There will be less proof needed by you if you were in a motorhome and stated you were sleeping / staying in it and would not be driving whilst still over the limit.

Simples........

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The fact that you are on private land, as opposed to the public highway, may, or may not, make a difference to how the law operates too.
Agreed.
Anywhere the public have access to is classed as a public place....even if its privately owned. I.e.: pub car park, supermarket car park, hotel car park etc....even an official campsite.
But any copper worth his salt would take all the evidence into account and realise you had no intention of driving...keys out, curtains/blinds drawn, front seats turned, tv blaring away and dressed in nightwear.
Only a proper tw@t would report you and I doubt it would result in court action.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
(the burden of proof is on the defence)
I dont doubt for an instant what you say, but I always thought that the burden of proof was on the prosecution, as in this case, would they not have to prove that you intended to drive?

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I dont doubt for an instant what you say, but I always thought that the burden of proof was on the prosecution, as in this case, would they not have to prove that you intended to drive?

See here for the process of how the burden of proof switches:
Drink driving

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@Allanm has it right.
This was the result of a house of Lords ruling and is really just common sense.
Police don't need to hang around pub car parks watching motorhomes . They can get their fill of drink drivers out on the streets.
I'd imagine more people get gassed than are caught as the op suggests.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back