Don t leave home without it The Dash Cam!! (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Some 3 years ago when I was in work mode I was driving one of our 40ton trucks along a small road in Milton Keynes. There was no traffic whatsoever, I was in the centre of the road to turn left at the T junction. As I had almost completed the manoeuvre I felt something hit the back of the Trailer . A woman ( one of our colonial cousins) had tried to turn left into the path of the trailer arc and redesigned her wing and door. After much screaming and shouting from her, details were exchanged and I reported the matter to our Insurers. The Insurers the file was marked NFA . Three years down the line I receive a County Court Summons for my "reckless driving which had caused her the dreaded unprovable whiplash ! " She had manufactured a witness also from across the seas to somewhat inaccurately support her allegation. The Law Company involved was N L G . A quick google search revealed them to be am ambulance chasing load of fraudsters (see Operation Percutter on net) I filmed a reconstruction of the vehicle path on the road forwarded it to our Solicitors who were quite happy to defend the action. After a couple of Adjournments the case was fixed for hearing tomorrow. The Court had been booked for a whole day and a Barrister at 1K per day hired. Last week we received a offer of a 50/50 settlement. Being a man of principle I refused. At 3.00pm yesterday I had am email from my solicitor to say they had thrown in the towel. Unfortunately due to changes in the Law we were unable to recover any costs, but we did of course win the day with a moral victory.
We now use recording equipment all the time , had I had it at the time a quick save and replay would have saved all the hassle.
Motorhomes are long vehicles usually long overhang, so keep that camera rolling, it could happen to you!!

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Sounds good advice to me, I was thinking of buying one for our motorhome, don't really want to spend too much though .
I wonder if the countries these people appear to come from have the same scams operating there ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sympathies for the OP for all the legal hassle and expense but how would a dash cam help if you are hit in the rear? Unless you have two of course, forward and back facing. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
We now use recording equipment all the time , had I had it at the time a quick save and replay would have saved all the hassle.
Motorhomes are long vehicles usually long overhang, so keep that camera rolling, it could happen to you!!

Thanks for the reminder Martin - I have a Waeco dual reversing camera - with the rear view mirror camera on all the time - does anyone know if there is a reasonably cheap way of recording that as well please?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sympathies for the OP for all the legal hassle and expense but how would a dash cam help if you are hit in the rear? Unless you have two of course, forward and back facing. :)
Presumably the forward facing camera would show that the road was clear before the manoeuvre started and one would be able to calculate the arc of the rear to demonstrate that the action wasn't reckless.
Having said that, we have front and rear cameras in the car after a few incidents where people came up rather fast behind when I was stopped at lights. I could see in my rear view mirror that at least one driver was on a mobile phone.
We just have a forward facing dash cam in the van as I haven't identified anywhere to mount one at the back of the van yet but keep thinking about it from time to time. Our rear view camera monitor is brilliant for driving but doesn't record the footage.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sounds good advice to me, I was thinking of buying one for our motorhome, don't really want to spend too much though .
I wonder if the countries these people appear to come from have the same scams operating there ?
There's no point over spending on a camera when you can get a Barrister for a mere £1000 a day:doh:

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
with the rear view mirror camera on all the time - does anyone know if there is a reasonably cheap way of recording that as well please?
I have a monitor that will record up to four camera feeds on to an SD card. The images are pretty good but the overall system is not great. It needs the date and time set each time it is switched on, and the recordings are shown in quadrants on the replay screen, including two that I don't use, so they're blank. I record the rear view camera, and use that view full screen when driving, and a front-facing camera.

I have tried ignoring the date and time setting on the basis that after any incident the recordings would support any personal evidence, but the problem with that is that all recordings start with the same date and time so tend to overwrite each other.

I bought the system from DRW Electronics at a Peterborough Show, and I haven't yet taken up the shortcomings with him. IIRC, the price was a little over £200, so not cheap.

I have just rewired it away from the ignition feed to a manual switch so that I can switch it on at the start of a drive and it doesn't go off (and reset the date and time) every time I stop.

OP
OP
M
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Re the thread the camera recording would have shown the road to be totally clear when I was there, The Claimant stated that she was stationary in a line of slow moving traffic!! The recording would have instantly disproved this.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Interesting Geo,
On the basis that during 2015 the dash cam was the most bought piece of technology ( according to Halfords supplier of dash cams ) the cost of them greatly outweighs the cost of a few barristers used for the defence or otherwise to assist in similar cases.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
While I totally sympathise with your unfortunate experience may I politely suggest that it is the appalling behaviour of all involved that is the problem and not their ethnic origin. Would the whole episode have been less traumatic if you had been hit by someone who was not a "colonial cousin"?

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Morning..going slightly off the thread I need a reversing camera(wireless?)can anyone recommend one and also where would you pick up the feed for it..back and dash..my missus is having kittens at the prospect of me drilling into our "new" motorhome,,dont know why,cheers guys...frank spencer(y)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Interesting Geo,
On the basis that during 2015 the dash cam was the most bought piece of technology ( according to Halfords supplier of dash cams ) the cost of them greatly outweighs the cost of a few barristers used for the defence or otherwise to assist in similar cases.

A Totally nonsensical counter argument:doh:
But I will try and clear up you apparent confusion:reel:

The cost of a Dash Cam to an individual in 2015 was in all probability averaging out at £100 per person per Camera based on an average quality unit that actually worked for the whole year and in use every day the cost being less than 28p per day
That works out just a little shy of the £1000 per day for a barrister:love:

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
I was mentioning the total spend not balancing an individual's purchase. Thank you for your kind and thoughtful response.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Morning..going slightly off the thread I need a reversing camera(wireless?)can anyone recommend one and also where would you pick up the feed for it..back and dash..my missus is having kittens at the prospect of me drilling into our "new" motorhome,,dont know why,cheers guys...frank spencer(y)
Wired is Best
I have fitted many at all the price ranges and to legnths of vans and never been impressed with a single one yet with the engine running.
Even when they do actually work over the stated distance, all sorts of problems can arise from electrical interference and not always from your own source so not always fixable

BUT
I sincerely hope some one does come up with a "Good un" for you. then I could use it too
cos running and hiding all the wires is a real pain in the butt and expensive if your paying for them to be fitted

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I use ours and have one for my bike helmet. Shame that I wasn't using it when I was hit by a muppet - it would have saved me a great deal of time and she wouldn't have escaped prosecution.

As for buying a cheap camera, I wouldn't waste time and money on them. I've used a few but returned them when I couldn't even make out the number plate of the car in front of me when playing back the video.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the reminder Martin - I have a Waeco dual reversing camera - with the rear view mirror camera on all the time - does anyone know if there is a reasonably cheap way of recording that as well please?
Any answers or [sensible :whistle:] suggestions ?

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
While I totally sympathise with your unfortunate experience may I politely suggest that it is the appalling behaviour of all involved that is the problem and not their ethnic origin. Would the whole episode have been less traumatic if you had been hit by someone who was not a "colonial cousin"?

Where have you been living for the last few years ? . . . the moon !!!!, it's a well known and proven fact, by the amount of Asian criminal gangs who had been operating exactly the rear end crash and fake whiplash claim scenarios illustrated by the OP, resulting in the successful prosecutions and convictions of the perpetrators, which have been well covered in the press

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Where have you been living for the last few years ? . . . the moon !!!!, it's a well known and proven fact, by the amount of Asian criminal gangs who had been operating exactly the rear end crash and fake whiplash claim scenarios illustrated by the OP, resulting in the successful prosecutions and convictions of the perpetrators, which have been well covered in the press

Please don't let your racial prejudices get in the way of the facts, villains come in all colours http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-21833605

Reactions: GJH

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.

http://www.richardbacon.org.uk/speeches/legal_070116_crash_for_cash.html

'The Serious Organised Crime Agency monitors terrorists’ finances. I hope that the Solicitor-General can tell us that the agency is aware of those figures, which indicate a significant concentration in a small number of northern cities where Asian gangs — they are predominantly Muslim — started this fraud.'

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Hi fastpat . . thanks for the link . . its a mega profitable scam all right !

PS. I don't have any racial prejudices, except where the facts are as illustrated, but I do live in the real world.

:drink: :drink: :drink:
I think mine, and others on this thread objection, is the business of how the facts are used. The OP and yourself extract one element of the tale that supports yours / their prejudices - all these scams are done by our "colonial cousins", when the facts demonstrate that this is simply not the case (as in the link i provided). The very fact that you feel the need to refer to where the person might be from on the basis of colour is the sad thing. After all we haven't been told the ethnicity or religion of the ambulance chasing claims management / solicitors - surely that's equally important?

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I think mine, and others on this thread objection, is the business of how the facts are used. The OP and yourself extract one element of the tale that supports yours / their prejudices - all these scams are done by our "colonial cousins", when the facts demonstrate that this is simply not the case (as in the link i provided). The very fact that you feel the need to refer to where the person might be from on the basis of colour is the sad thing. After all we haven't been told the ethnicity or religion of the ambulance chasing claims management / solicitors - surely that's equally important?

How you interpret the facts etc is purely your business . . you are entitled to your opinion . . as I am mine . . end of story, and by the way . . you mentioned colour not me,

Please don't post a response . . I have other things to do,

Thanks,

Ken. :drink:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I agree with Geo, wired is best. There was a wireless reversing (only) camera fitted to our van when we bought it and the picture often used to break up. We had it changed to a proper wired rear view camera (which tilts in reverse gear) and monitor and that is far superior. My notes Here.
EDIT - you still have to drill into the van to fit the camera and pick up its power feed :)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
The Garmin camera attached wirelessly to my Garmin 760 works without interference over about 8m, possibly further, but I have not tried it. I use it to keep an eye on Management who reclines on the bed, surrounded by her medical kit, sleeping, watching TV, listening to music or reading, whilst we travel. They are not cheap SpannerTypeFellow, @Geo, and are dedicated to Garmin receivers, but worth a look. :)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The Garmin camera attached wirelessly to my Garmin 760 works without interference over about 8m, possibly further, but I have not tried it. I use it to keep an eye on Management who reclines on the bed, surrounded by her medical kit, sleeping, watching TV, listening to music or reading, whilst we travel. They are not cheap SpannerTypeFellow, @Geo, and are dedicated to Garmin receivers, but worth a look. :)
And there in lies the secret, Mr Superman Mike
its not on the usual wavelengths used by all and sundry, and every other wireless bit of kit on the Planet.
When i'm as rich as you Mike I may well look into it
G

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
When i'm as rich as you Mike I may well look into it
G

Rich, who me.

That's almost, but not quite, as funny as talking about the VeryOldMoIceCreamInternetMan's Rapido thingy.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back