Aftermarket daytime running lights (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi
Ref Peugot Boxer 2.2 2005 I was wondering how easy it is to fit and wire up daytime running lights (the ones on ebay that says fits into spotlight apertures) under the bumper. The van has just got blank discs there at the moment. Things like pre wiring for the spots (if present) would that set up help me wire in the lights and how would i need to wire into the dash controls because they would need to be independent to the main lights. It would be good if the would slot in with wiring upto a rocker switch on the dash. Has anyone fitted these I a would appreciate your help
Steve

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Steve. . Fitted some to a transit ..same idea .. designed to go where the fog lights would have been...
Think they came from led .com or something like that...
The instructions were fairly good.. you won't need dash switches or the existing fog light wiring...
Think it was just an ignition feed and feed from side or head lights to dim them when you switch on your normal lights..
They must have some voltage sensing device which detects when engine is running and alternator is charging... That's what turns them on...
Only possible issue on a mh is the lights coming on when you go on hook up when your battery charger lifts the voltage...
I has to wire mine to an engine run signal for similar sort of reason as mine came on when my diesel heater kicked in...:LOL:..
But fitting normally straight fwd and we'll covered in the instructions...
Ta andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
benellioldman1
Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi
Thanks for your reply,did you fit them yourself and was it fairly easy i am no electrician but can follow simple instructions

Last edited:
OP
OP
benellioldman1
Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Thanks Andy
You were posting just before my last question. I presume from what you have said the daytime driving lights do come on independently without the other lights being illuminated, the very reason i want them is for continental driving and lesson the chance of replacing headlight bulbs etc.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Aftermarket DRL by Ring do indeed work on the voltage changes when the vehicle is started. They do not come on when on hookup - I asked Ring specifically about this before buying them and they gave a technical explanation about why not. (And they were right!)

The wiring for these is all under the bonnet, providing you can find a live feed - I used the positive jump start terminal near the fuse box. The other wires go to earth and one of the lighting feeds behind the headlight for dimming purposes.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
They do not come on when on hookup
If they are like the ones I fitted then they will come on if wired into any circuit that the charger raises the voltage on when hooked up...
Didn't go into detail but mine were initially wired in to a ignition circuit. I engine plumbed my diesel heater (a hydronic ) and wired the vehicle fan to turn on if I left the fan switch turned on... When the heater started and fan cut in my my Drl's also turned on.. so it can happen...On some types...
I've seen it mentioned in the fitting instructions on some aftermarket kits as well.
Andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I presume from what you have said the daytime driving lights do come on independently without the other lights being illuminated,
Yes that's how mine work.. little black box on mine with 3 wires.. The earth,a live feed ,and another feed from the lighting circuit ,in my case the side lights,to dim them when you use your normal lighting..
Andy.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
If they are like the ones I fitted then they will come on if wired into any circuit that the charger raises the voltage on when hooked up...

Fair enough, probably a slightly different process/set up. The Ring techie said that theirs senses the voltage drop when the starter kicks in followed by the higher voltage generated by the alternator kicks the lights into life and keeps them on. They sometimes come on briefly when the ignition is switched on, but then go out. They have never come on with the mains hookup connected or the solar charging.

I suggest the OP asks the helpdesk for whatever he's thinking of buying, or use an ignition feed instead of a permanent live.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
As far as the ledcom ones go.. they come with full instructions and pictures showing exactly what to connect to. Effortless

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We have the ledcom D.R.L.'s too & as others have stated - no issues fitting or working.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back