Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Our ignition on our stove has stopped working. It happened after we came back after a long break.
Is there a fuse or does it have a separate battery feed?
The motorhome is a Swift Sundance 2006. Stove is a Thetford.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Colin Cossey

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What electrical system is fitted ( Sargent etc etc ? )
And in what MH is it ?

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What electrical system is fitted ( Sargent etc etc ? )
And in what MH is it ?

Don't know what electrical system is fitted. We wild camp all the time so only use 12v from the leisure batteries.
Ignition system to the fridge to ignite the gas works OK. so I am thinking the stove is on a separate supply. It is a Swift Sundance year 2006. Stove is a Theford.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Been doing that but you know what the other halves are like they want everything working. Also after the gas explosion in the MH a few years back she is reluctant to ignite the oven part and I would like a roast now and then. She is happy to use the gas lighter on the top so I can get a cuppa tea. Would like to get it fixed as I don't want her having a reason to stop all cooking.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Been doing that but you know what the other halves are like they want everything working.

Just ignore me, I'm jealous, we don't have electric ignition. You have my sympathy, other halves take some getting used to, I'm still trying 50 years on.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ahh.. Its a Swift and has a Sargent system fitted
have a look around and see if you can see a gray box ( often under a seat ) with some fuses in it.. The wire that feeds the cooker ignition ends up in there ( at least it does on my set up )
I cannot remember if there is a fuse on the circuit but THINK there might be.

My feed wire actually went faulty in the loom somewhere so a separate thin wire was run to a switched 12v line in the box.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Make sure you are switched on at the wall. ( maybe above door) i' m sure my cooker works on a different circuit.

When i travel it shuts the system down and needs to be switched on again, before my cooker water pump and toilet flush and cabin lights

I can keep the tv/dvd and one light at belted seats on whilst moving.

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ahh.. Its a Swift and has a Sargent system fitted
have a look around and see if you can see a gray box ( often under a seat ) with some fuses in it.. The wire that feeds the cooker ignition ends up in there ( at least it does on my set up )
I cannot remember if there is a fuse on the circuit but THINK there might be.

My feed wire actually went faulty in the loom somewhere so a separate thin wire was run to a switched 12v line in the box.

Thanks. Will check it out and see how I get on and let you know.

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Make sure you are switched on at the wall. ( maybe above door) i' m sure my cooker works on a different circuit.

When i travel it shuts the system down and needs to be switched on again, before my cooker water pump and toilet flush and cabin lights

I can keep the tv/dvd and one light at belted seats on whilst moving.
Thanks but it dosen't have a separate supply like that. I have a switch above the door for the water pump, outside light, water level indicator, batt level indicator, and switch between vehicle and leisure batts.
Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just ignore me, I'm jealous, we don't have electric ignition. You have my sympathy, other halves take some getting used to, I'm still trying 50 years on.

Ahhhh then I only have another 10 or so years to catch up. If you find the secret let me know....Ha ha

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Thanks but it dosen't have a separate supply like that. I have a switch above the door for the water pump, outside light, water level indicator, batt level indicator, and switch between vehicle and leisure batts.
Thanks for the info.
If that main switch isn't on then my igniter won't spark.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have a 2011 sundance, the igniter will not work if the power on the control panel is off. Also, there is a supply switch at the bottom back in the narrow cupboard, check you haven't knocked into the off position.
There is a possibility that the igniter on the older model is of the type with a battery. If this is the case, unscrew the igniter button, there will be a battery behind it.

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have a 2011 sundance, the igniter will not work if the power on the control panel is off. Also, there is a supply switch at the bottom back in the narrow cupboard, check you haven't knocked into the off position.
There is a possibility that the igniter on the older model is of the type with a battery. If this is the case, unscrew the igniter button, there will be a battery behind it.

Thanks Will check it out

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
On our oven occasionally the spark igniter stops working. A quick rub of the end of the electrodes with my thumb and it comes back into life! I keep meaning to give the electrodes a quick gentle clean with a bit of fine emery cloth at home, I keep forgetting, might even go and do it tonight now that I've remembered.....

The position of them seems to make them vulnerable to getting mucky.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back