Sparex Reversing camera failure (1 Viewer)

Tom Lurk

Free Member
May 12, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus CK
Exp
since 2011
The van was pre-fitted with the system when we bought it, so that makes it 5 years old at least. It was working when the van went into winter storage last year, but it isn't now. As far as i can tell there is no power going in to the screen.

the system is hardwired together (it's not a case of leads plugging in at each end, they are properly fitted into the camera and the screen), so I am wondering if this more likely to be the cable breaking, or if the screen has died, and in either of these scenarios is it possible to just replace the component that is broken, or do we have to replace everything due to the nature of the system?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Possibility of the wiring done underneath and eaten by rats over the winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tom Lurk

Tom Lurk

Free Member
May 12, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus CK
Exp
since 2011

trouble is there nothing i can see anywhere to tell me which model number it is, which is vexing, as it is a fairly ancient bit of kit.

Possibility of the wiring done underneath and eaten by rats over the winter.

the wiring does look like it goes underneath, will try and find a way to check that. thanks!

It should have an in-line fuse in the 12v supply.. usually tucked under the dashboard..

sometimes fed from the radio supply.. so only live when the ignition is on.. worth checking that first.

definitely no power when the ignition is on, unfortunately.

OP
OP
Tom Lurk

Tom Lurk

Free Member
May 12, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus CK
Exp
since 2011
the diagnosis was that the screen was dead (by the people who did our habitation check/full service). they told me to order one from amazon and they'd fit it. I ordered this one, but before doing so i sent them the link to check and they thought it would be fine. It wasn't, the leads from the new screen were not compatible. they couldn't give me a clear reason why, but they thought that we'd have to rip everything out and start again. They are probably right, but there is a lot of technical expertise here so I thought i'd ask if there was a work around (more in hope than expectation)... is there some kind of adapter to mate the cables we could use or something?

new screen: Amazon product ASIN B007SLDF7O
61HXbHcRbmL._SL1000_.jpg

old one something like this:

http://v2.gb.sparex.com/ItemDetails/ItemDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=23053

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Tom,
There is not much to reversing camera systems as I found out the hard way. Bought a really cheap eBay system just needed 12v + & - plus wire for the video. Worked for a few months and then stopped.
Convinced myself it was power related so redid that side of things -still not working so decided it was the monitor and ordered another but arrived with different plugs cut them off and hard wired the connections. And u can guess what - still not working so replaced camera again having to hard wire the connections.
All working again but who knows for how long hopefully this new camera will be a bit more waterproof.
I guess the moral is if u buy a cheap system don't expect it to last indefinitely and don't be afraid to cut the plugs off if thats the only way to join the wires.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

If there is no power reaching the screen how could you tell if the screen was faulty?

I don't understand why an installer would hardwire directly to screen and camera.

Most kits have connecting plugs for both and a length of cable to join, makes replacing either camera or screen so much easier.

Last week I replaced my camera (£22). The connectors were tucked behind the trim in the rear overhead locker.........took about half an hour

:)

OP
OP
Tom Lurk

Tom Lurk

Free Member
May 12, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus CK
Exp
since 2011
Tom,
There is not much to reversing camera systems as I found out the hard way. Bought a really cheap eBay system just needed 12v + & - plus wire for the video. Worked for a few months and then stopped.
Convinced myself it was power related so redid that side of things -still not working so decided it was the monitor and ordered another but arrived with different plugs cut them off and hard wired the connections. And u can guess what - still not working so replaced camera again having to hard wire the connections.
All working again but who knows for how long hopefully this new camera will be a bit more waterproof.
I guess the moral is if u buy a cheap system don't expect it to last indefinitely and don't be afraid to cut the plugs off if thats the only way to join the wires.

the sparex system is an expensive bit of kit (but was installed by the previous owner, so must have been about 6 or 7 years ago). i'll see if i can do my dr frankestein impression on it, i realise that it may not be a lasting job.

If there is no power reaching the screen how could you tell if the screen was faulty?

I don't understand why an installer would hardwire directly to screen and camera.

Most kits have connecting plugs for both and a length of cable to join, makes replacing either camera or screen so much easier.

Last week I replaced my camera (£22). The connectors were tucked behind the trim in the rear overhead locker.........took about half an hour

:)

the guy who serviced it tested the power and it was fine. as i said above this is an old system and technology has moved on a long way since it was installed. i am resigned to replacing the whole thing in the near future, just don't have time to do it before our holiday :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back