Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi, we visit France a lot and have also been to a few other countries in Europe but have never been to the Netherlands. We are thinking of going for a couple of weeks in June, we love the countryside, cycling, walking and also have an inflatable kayak (campsites by a lake or river where we can use the kayak would be a bonus). I've not started any research yet and just wandered if anyone has any recommendations of campsites or areas not to miss? We would also prefer to stay on the outskirts of a town and cycle, walk or bus in rather than stay in the town itself.

Btw wherever possible we will be using the Acsi card like we always do.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
Finding a place to stay in the Netherlands is never a problem as they have over 3000 campsites in a very small country, as well as plenty of aires. Below are a few suggestions.
Amsterdam - There is a city camp very convenient for visiting, very bike friendly.
Oudewater - A quaint town, very historic. There is a free aire within 10 minute walk.
Dordrecht - This city is on the river and has canals as well. Worth a day visit. Bit biased as I was born there.
The Weeribben National Park - Has both bike paths and plenty of water for canoeing.
Zutphen - They have an aire behind the police station, only 2 euros for the day. Go to the tourist office to get info for the walking tour of the old town.
Dokkum - an old fortified town in the north. Very picturesque, look it up on google images.
Enkhuizen - on the coast and has a very interesting maritime village museum.
Alkmaar - If you can try get there when the cheese market is on, still worth a visit anytime.
The Kinderdijk is the best place to see windmills. Near Molenwaard there are 19 windmills in a small area.
Delft - Definitely worth visiting, make sure to wander the back streets as there are many pottery workshops where they show you how it is made.
Gouda - If you like cheese this is a good place to visit. In the old town hall they have a museum, last time we were there they had some free tastings.

I could go on but as you can see the Netherlands has plenty of places to visit. The country is flat and great for riding bikes. There is also plenty of water so you will not lack for places to put you canoe in.
Hope you have a great trip. Ewout

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
It's the best place I've found for cycling. Not just the fact that everywhere is flat (although that also means it can be exposed to the wind) but the infrastructure for cycling is superb.
This site shows the routes.
http://www.hollandcyclingroutes.com/online-cycle-route-planner
You can plan your routes and just make a note of the waypoint numbers to follow. They're all signposted and at most of the waypoints there is a map.
I'd also add Zierikzee and Harlingen to the list and also Hindeloopen on the Isselmeer but then almost every little town and city you stumble on seems worth a visit.

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
Not everywhere is flat, we went to Arnhem, big hills!

Very true. I think the highest point is the Drielandenpunt, which is where Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands borders all join at the staggering altitude of around 300m :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Hi, thanks for all your replies, please keep em coming, any campsite recommendations or areas not to be miss :)

Spidey, don't suppose you have the name of the campsite do you please?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
We've decided to keep it to just a few regions now and do the rest another trip so that makes it easier. The regions we are now doing are Zeeland, Zuid-Holland, Noord-Holland, Friesland, Flevoland, and Utrecht (y)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Even though Holland is not very big you've bitten off a lot there, we were there two weeks, managed three sites and did some cycling. Freisland is for us the 'real' Holland. Very flat there and ideal for lazy cyclists like us.

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Maybe its best to say we would like to try and get to those regions then lol. Thankyou, that's helpful about Freisland, that will be one of the regions I focus on.

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
I'd agree about Friesland although many other places are equally as good. We particularly like Enkhuizen. There's a lovely open air museum which blends into the actual old town. A couple of reasonable sites and a good vets if you have pets that need their passports sorting.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We stayed at the Zeebad site at Breskens a while back, quiet site with water on each hedged pitch, and a wave pool, entry included in your pitch fee.

We topped for a night, stayed for five. There is a humungous beach just over the sea wall right outside the site, beautiful and very large.

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
Thanks, will have a look. No pets.

Any good campsites for kayaking please? We never take the motorhome off the campsite once we are on a pitch so would be interested in any recommendations for campsites within walking distance (with the kayak) of a lake, river or the sea. Not all the campsites we stay at need to be like this but we do like to use the kayak sometimes.

Also hubby was talking about going to the islands if anyone has any info please

stuurman

Free Member
Jul 26, 2008
in my van all over Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
as of may 28, 2009, fulltimer
I recommend camping-tuinderij Welgelegen, Raadhuisstraat in Graft Noord Holland. Bicycling, kayaking, lovely village withing 5 minutes, public transport to Amsterdam and Alkmaar, they grow vergetables which you can buy, lovely people.
Forgot: no dogs allowed!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We stayed at Camping de Jerden at Sloten, the canal was immediately across the road and led to a big lake. Campsite wasn't up to much but suited us, and it was cheap. Sloten is a lovely old place, smallest city in the world, population around 700.

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
We stayed at Camping de Jerden at Sloten, the canal was immediately across the road and led to a big lake. Campsite wasn't up to much but suited us, and it was cheap. Sloten is a lovely old place, smallest city in the world, population around 700.
Sloten does look an interesting place. One for our next trip too! Were more interested in locations than sites so would suit us.

OP
OP
Shell181

Shell181

Free Member
Apr 11, 2010
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer C642 CL
Exp
June 2010
We are interested in location more than the campsite but we don't stay on Aires or 'wild camp' etc so obviously if there is a choice of campsites in the area we want to be then I'll research and find the one thats best suited to us. It doesn't bother us if its a basic campsite or an 'all singing and all dancing' one, as long as the location is where we want to be then we'll stay there. If we had a choice though we'd prefer a basic one.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, we visit France a lot and have also been to a few other countries in Europe but have never been to the Netherlands. We are thinking of going for a couple of weeks in June, we love the countryside, cycling, walking and also have an inflatable kayak (campsites by a lake or river where we can use the kayak would be a bonus). I've not started any research yet and just wandered if anyone has any recommendations of campsites or areas not to miss? We would also prefer to stay on the outskirts of a town and cycle, walk or bus in rather than stay in the town itself.

Btw wherever possible we will be using the Acsi card like we always do.

Thanks in advance :)
There you are.... Kwik Save Trolley... Long Story..

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Sue and I will be going over to Ypres to join the local cycling club (Probus Pedallers) for a Great War 110km ride in Sptember 2017 and decided we would make a holiday out of it, spending a couple of weeks in Holland, so this thread is a good source of information, thank you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back