FIAT Hill holder assist - worth it (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I didn't spec it but my van came with hill holder assist, as part of the FIAT ASR system. It and cruise control has been a real help in driving the continent. HHA has been brilliant with some of the hill starts I have had to do, Especially in traffic on a hill. The system gives you a maximum of 2 seconds (once you have taken your foot off the brake) when it holds the brakes on in a steep incline or decline (which is set just right) and gives you time to move your foot to the accelerator and let in the clutch without any roll back. I would definitely spec this again, particularly for larger vans.

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Mrs B's C4 Picasso has it as part of the electric handbrake system and I think it's very good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Those of us that CAN drive don't need it. ;)
Well I have driven auto cars for 16 years so it makes driving a manual that bit easier, which surely must be a good thing if you are doing thousands of miles on the wrong side of the road on the wrong side of the cab, like me.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Summon else to go wrong:( Summon else to pay through the nose for when it does:unsure:

Didn't 'ave that on me Morrie:(

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Long string .. job done..:D

KISS

s-l300.jpg

Reactions: JJ

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I've got it on my moho but can't get used to it! I automatically do a reach for the handbrake and do a standard hill start. Are you supposed to use it? Or doesn't it matter?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It works well on our Transit. You can concentrate on your mirrors, etc instead of ducking down to release the handbrake at the critical moment before moving off.
Much easier in my opinion. Yes I know it isn't textbook, but it is an aid to more relaxing driving.
How many of you luddites think auto boxes should be banned because people who use them can't drive 'properly'?:)
As for 'being more to go wrong', it is just software. All the hardware already exists in the ABS system.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Fiat ones not bad but not perfect works about 90% of the time but not essential in a heavy vehicle as they tend to hold for a second or two before rolling anyway, and if I want to be really sure I could just hold the brake with my left foot. By comparisson the one on my car can't be trusted at all.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I've got it on my moho but can't get used to it! I automatically do a reach for the handbrake and do a standard hill start. Are you supposed to use it? Or doesn't it matter?
It releases as soon as you let the clutch in, its actually quite subtle on a low height hill, where you don't put the handbrake on, it may be working but you don't know it is (y)

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
had it on the last two of my works vans it just annoys me would not have it if it were optional .....but hey ho would be boring if we were all the same:):)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I like my hill start and my auto and all the gizmos , don't wanna go back to a 3 speed crash box and cable brakes :eek:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
How many of you luddites think auto boxes should be banned because people who use them can't drive 'properly'?:)
As for 'being more to go wrong', it is just software. All the hardware already exists in the ABS system.

All this technology, next thing you know, someone will invent some sort of electrical gadgetry to start your engine!!

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I have had the electric autobrake on my last 4 cars I drive 30000miles a year ,if the car did not have it would not have the car, one which I used for towing a caravan makes driving lot easier.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Please excuse the totally naïve question, but we've got it on our Ducato and I've often wondered how it works. Is it automatically switched on, or do you have to activate it? I think I've seen a switch on the dashboard?
My hubby takes the view that he doesn't need it, because he knows how to drive, but I'd like to try it, if it means not having to grope down on the floor somewhere to activate the handbrake.
Do you use the handbrake as well as the hill holder? :cautious:

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Please excuse the totally naïve question, but we've got it on our Ducato and I've often wondered how it works. Is it automatically switched on, or do you have to activate it? I think I've seen a switch on the dashboard?
My hubby takes the view that he doesn't need it, because he knows how to drive, but I'd like to try it, if it means not having to grope down on the floor somewhere to activate the handbrake.
I think as long as the ASR system is on (by default) its working. The only time I use the distant handbrake is when I am parked(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It releases as soon as you let the clutch in, its actually quite subtle on a low height hill, where you don't put the handbrake on, it may be working but you don't know it is (y)
Not always hit the gas peddle and sometimes there is a delay of a second or two then you get catapulted forward, mine is a Comformatic it still has a clutch just not operated by me.
It is automatic it is supposed to come on gradients steeper than 5%, no you don't need to use the handbrake providing you have confidence in it.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Not always hit the gas peddle and sometimes there is a delay of a second or two then you get catapulted forward, mine is a Comformatic it still has a clutch just not operated by me.

It is automatic it is supposed to come on gradients steeper than 5%, no you don't need to use the handbrake providing you have confidence in it.
Worked very well for me in a long line of stop start traffic on a steep hill. Didnt need the handbrake only problem was the French drivers rolling backwards towards me, Mr steady hill start!

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
It is automatic it is supposed to come on gradients steeper than 5%, no you don't need to use the handbrake providing you have confidence in

So, does that mean that I can come to a stop on a hill, put the van into neutral and, in theory, it won't run backwards?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back