Sat nav and GPS (1 Viewer)

Dog lover

Free Member
Jul 9, 2009
Derbyshire
Funster No
Hi all.
I am aware that I'm firstly probably asking something that has already been asked or sounds stupid. But here goes any way.

We are about to purchace a sat nav, I notice that there are plus's and minus's for all. I also notice that there are GPS settings for aires and sites throughout Europe. My question is this.
Can anyone recomend a Sat nav with european mapping and is there one that that has GPS??:Smile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Doglover most if not all satnavs have Europeon mapping available, and most will allow third party POI's (Points Of Interest) to be loaded. GPS is an acronym for Global Positioning System, which is how all satnavs work

Olley

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi
I have a Tom Tom One V3 with european mapping and it worked a treat on our 1 month trip to France this year useing aires
Cost about £75
Happy daze
Chrisboyo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
hi there its tom tom for me :thumb:

quicksam

Free Member
Sep 27, 2008
Kiskunhalas - Hungary
Funster No
Exp
4 years
TomTom one here, it's guided me round Europe many times - easy to use, easy to set up and the maps are readily downloadable from the internet - :Nowink::Nowink:

blueraven

Free Member
May 7, 2008
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since Apr 08
Tomtom

Hi there
It's another vote for Tom Tom, we have TomTom One with europe maps, make sure you have a backup on your computer before updating via tomtom home, i made one as instructed (or so I thought) but it didn back up the maps, i lost them and it took four days for tomtom to answer the phone on their helpline, once they answered, extremely helpful man helped me re-load them after he credited my account with replacements and i downloaded them. it broke on Sunday, we left for Hull-Rotterdam Wednesday at 3.30pm. I had it fixed at 3.20pm Wednesday:cry-smile:

The TomTom has come out as one of the top rated for ease of use, I would wholeheartedly concur with that, you pick the country and touch it's map you're going to (all touch screen) put in the town name then the address or you can simple put in the postcode if you know it. We toured Germany and Austria via Rotterdam crossing in August and we never got lost once. Ab brill. :thumb:

joe50

Free Member
Sep 9, 2009
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I have a Tom Tom for three years. One of best accessories I bought for motorhoming. It brought be down one or two very narrow roads over that time. Other than that - great especially when abroad.

To be honest I don't think there is a huge difference between TT and Garmin.:Smile:

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
TomTom classic (old model without integral stand) with Europe does all it says on the box - paid £80 about 6 months ago as upgrading my TT UK and Ireland would have cost £60.

Some one-way systems in towns - I remember Lisbon especially!! - give it problems but this may just be updates needed.

BW

Stroudwaterboy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one currently
Exp
10 years
I have ended up with both Tom Tom and Garmin, don't ask I didn't mean too!

As with most tech kit they work fine and both do the job, you get to your destination without getting lost just in slightly different ways.

Be careful they do not all do Europe and if you have to add it on it is often cheaper to buy a new unit (you guessed)

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Again TT for me... Have had it in several forms... In an IPAQ Smart phone and now on the IPhone. Great bit of kit

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Again TT for me... Have had it in several forms... In an IPAQ Smart phone and now on the IPhone. Great bit of kit

I'm interested in putting TomTom on my iPhone 3G but have read some bad reviews. Would you recommend it and if so how good is it.

Pete:Cool:

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Hi

As you would expect the interface is just the business. There are a couple of down sides at this time.

You cannot import any POIs of your own and very occasionally mine looses the GPS signal in the car. Now this may be because of the case my IPhone is in I am not sure. Strangely enough it works perfectly in the motorhome.

They are bringing out a holder that will have a GPS unit in it so the IPhone will connect to that and the power supply when in the screen holder. Not too sure how that will work if your phone has a case on.

Overall I think it is a great bit of kit and I am sure as the upgrades come along the POI issue will be addressed.:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Both TomTom and Garmin are good, I have over the years used both, one thing to remember when using sat navs though is to never disengage the brain (drivers brain), if a road that it wants to take you down looks not quite right go past it the satnav will plot an alternative route if you miss a turning. I still have a quick check of a route on my computor or road map when going somewhere strange to me.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Tom Tom

I have a Tom Tom for three years. One of best accessories I bought for motorhoming. It brought be down one or two very narrow roads over that time. Other than that - great especially when abroad.

To be honest I don't think there is a huge difference between TT and Garmin.:Smile:

Got my Tom Tom one xl Europe from Halfords. Apparently its easier to update than Garmin or so the man at Halfords said Don't know if thats true but v happy with TT :thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I use a TomTom 700 which is considered 'old' now but at the time they came out it was TT's top of the range job selling at the astronomical figure of over £300. I paid £90 for mine off eBay a couple of years ago so i would think you could probably get one for around £70 if you look carefully. This model has a large internal hard drive.

Mine came with full Western Europe mapping but i uprated to the latest version and also added Eastern europe.

As a solo traveller i've found it extremely useful but as someone else has also pointed out no GPS is 100% foolproof and there will be times when it indicates you are driving across a field even though you are on a road. Bit weird when it first occurs but you soon get used to it and keep going until the direction arrow 'finds' the road again. This usually happens when a new section of roadway has been laid.

The other downside is roadworks which once again no GPS can predict. Whilst in Germany this year i lost count of the number of roads i came across entirely blocked off due to roadworks. You just have to keep driving around until the GPS re-writes another route out!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have been using Garmin Streetpilot 2610 since 2004 in USA and Europe. Excellent instrument

steveandrews40

Free Member
Apr 16, 2009
Funster No
Hi
We use Garmin, I heard that Tom Tom doesn't take lat and long co ordinates which are becomeing the norm for sites now. wide screen is also good. But always use a map as well, I also use it when walking, on push bike and motorbike, have bought a charger that works from 'aaa' batteries just incase. you can get them with ear piece for music etc, would be handy for motorbike when sun shines on the screen! But very useful, especially in towns! Take the speed camera warning off in Germany as illegal!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi
We use Garmin, I heard that Tom Tom doesn't take lat and long co ordinates which are becomeing the norm for sites now. wide screen is also good.

TTs do take lat / long co ordinates.. in both formats, my TT Europe ONE XL also has a wide screen ..

It's very much a personal choice, both Garmin and TT are good .. if I were replacing it wouldn't be an automatic choice for TT.

I still have a Magellan Roadmate 700 now gathering dust, cost a fortune about four years ago .. one of the main reasons for replacing was being unable to route using lat/long.

jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back