Why wax ? Why seal ? another Charlie guide....... (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Had to go over to a pals house today to look at some damage caused by bird poo. Often referred to as bird lime...
We are approaching that time of year when birds feast on berries of one sort or another. If they happen to deposit the muck on our vehicles it can and more often does damage.

People tend to think the damage caused by bird lime is a stain. Whilst the muck can stain it's not the main problem.

What happens is the deposits sit on the surface and go very hard. As it goes hard it shrinks and pulls the laquer into and abnormal shape. Once pulled into the shape it cannot be pulled back that would not be possible.

In the case of the car I looked at today it was an hour with the rotary polishing machine and the shrinkage was polished out.

The car in question was and always is well waxed. It it hadn't been I reckon the marks would have remained to some degree. That would have meant ad partial rectification rather than a complete polish out.

A surface waxed does not allow bird lime to grip it anywhere near as much as a surface that has no protection. Wax or sealant really does make the difference between a partial or full rectification when bird lime is the culprit !

Just thought I would share this timely reminder and one of the reasons we should wax our vehicles ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
and????? Tenterhooks here!

Sorry I pad blues .... Could not move the thingy that dictates where text goes ! Had to post then edit... Thick as a plank me when it comes to computers !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Sorry I pad blues .... Could not move the thingy that dictates where text goes ! Had to post then edit... Thick as a plank me when it comes to computers !!

And yet when each and every upgrade of a computer programme comes along they make it even more techy.... Why oh why can't these infernal software and programme designers ever get into their heads that in a car the steering wheel always steers the car and is in the same place as are the pedals and most of the nobs and switches all of which are clearly marked.............. If these infernal 'techies' had their way gaud knows where the steering wheel would be!!

Good post about the bird muck, at this time of year the swallows are back into my barns and so we have to cover the cars and MH roofs over with dust/crap sheets!

All the best

Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back