Judgemental fund raising thread (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I feel sure most will have heard about the extremely sad passing of our mate Eddie known to us all as the Judge.. Judgemental.

In that thread I tabled my thoughts about a fund being set up to raise a few quid in his memory and in support of cancer research or perhaps MacMillan Nurses. Or any other good cause and maybe one suggested by one of Eddies family perhaps.

I've started this thread for two reasons. 1 I don't want the idea lost in the other thread which is very fast moving and 2 to hopefully enlist a member or two who have an understanding of how to set up a fund perhaps through just giving or similar.

I just don't have a good understanding of computers or how to set up something like this. I would like to support it if we can get it sorted.

We can't do anything for Eddie now but we can mark our respect in a positive way and in doing so show our respect and support.

Thanks.

Charlie.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
It would be a pleasure to be counted in on a donation, happy to go along with whatever is decided upon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Easy enough to set up a Just Giving page, I've just done one here but only to show how easy it is. It is not yet active and I don't expect it to go active if @Charlie or any one else wants to set up something better. At the moment there is no agreed cause and 30 days plus 5%+ charge will be too late for a wreath. The message won't edit as I would like but hey it's a start. Thoughts?

Feb 9, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon R
Exp
There is a site called "just giving" which when you know which cause the money is to go to an account can be set up and It also allows gift aid to maximise the amount raised. Well worth a look at.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I'm in too.
It's early days yet, and it might be better to wait until his family announce funeral arrangements etc. because they may nominate a charity for donations in Eddie's name. It they do that, we could set up an account direct with the charity. In that way, the charity gets all of the money.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Perhaps set up a "just giving" page for an agreed charity as suggested but also agree an amount towards a suitable wreath to ensure its done in good time.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Easy enough to set up a Just Giving page, I've just done one here but only to show how easy it is. It is not yet active and I don't expect it to go active if @Charlie or any one else wants to set up something better. At the moment there is no agreed cause and 30 days plus 5%+ charge will be too late for a wreath. The message won't edit as I would like but hey it's a start. Thoughts?

Please understand my computer skills are very limited. The page you have set up looks very good .

My thoughts were to donate to a relevant worthy cause . I have done my bit when I have had the opportunity for Mac Millan because of the marvellous care they provided for a very good friend. Cancer research is another worthy cause but it can be any worthy cause of course .

We need a member who is prepared to set up and administrate if possible please.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Do we know whether the family want flowers? A wreath would be a lovely gesture, but many families stipulate 'family flowers only.' Maybe we need to find out, first.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
That's a great idea. (y)
Is it possible to find out from Eddie's family if they have a preferred charity?
@Bailey58 would you be willing to take charge of this account?
I would be willing to contribute.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Do we know whether the family want flowers? A wreath would be a lovely gesture, but many families stipulate 'family flowers only.' Maybe we need to find out, first.

I agree, I think maybe wait until his family make their wishes known. The first few days are so emotionally hard--- numbness, overwhelming emotions but with so much information to gather, papers to sign and people to see.

Flowers and donation to a charity are both beautiful thoughts and I'm sure there'll be time to organise them but I think wait for information rather than seeking it.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I agree, I think maybe wait until his family make their wishes known. The first few days are so emotionally hard--- numbness, overwhelming emotions but with so much information to gather, papers to sign and people to see.

Flowers and donation to a charity are both beautiful thoughts and I'm sure there'll be time to organise them but I think wait for information rather than seeking it.

Well said ..

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Had an idea overnight. A Funding page sends the money to nominated charity ( I think) so maybe someone uses a PayPal account to hold the first donations which could be used for flowers if requested by Eddie's family. Obtain an approximate cost of flowers and call a halt when that is reached, then transfer any left into a Funding page, which donations could then be made to for a nominated charity.
It was just a thought.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Pleas pleas dont take this the wrong way but i will drop a few pounds in the cancer reserch shop or charity box the next time i am passing and just think of him as i do it.
i know that the judge was much loved and respected by all i never knew him exept on her and the rumerus phone cales he mad he always sum how knew when to call
When i was diegnosed with my depresion his pm and numerus calls pulled me thrugh.
Iam deeply sadend by his loss to this comunity it will be a grate loss to this comunity.
but i dont think we can set a precedent nether.
and i dont think eddie would have wanted that ether
not mening to upset any one
bill

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
My thoughts too Bill but I'll happily go with the consensus. (y)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If your going to set up a just giving page before doing so have a look at the equivalent by Virgin, as far as I'm aware virgin give all the money that's donated and just giving take their cut.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Agree that setting precedents would be bad ... but can someone advise how those of us who would like to send a card or flowers to the family can do so? Also maybe at some of the meets there could be raffles in memory of Eddie to a skin cancer aware charity? ... but I will go with the consensus.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I'm sure a Just Giving page would be a good idea but how about just sending a donation via Paypal to a nominated Funster who could then buy a wreath (if requested) and give any balance to a relevant charity?

Paul

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Like most of us on here I only really knew Eddie through messages and calls, only met Eddie and Smitta once a few months ago when they called in to see us while looking at houses in the area.
I do have Smitta's phone number but a bit loathed to make further contact at the moment the family is more important. It was Smitta who asked me to inform everyone here as she knew he loved his forums and had a lot of friends on here.

Personally I'm not that keen on the wreath idea although a fitting tribute, they were looking at buying another Motorhome just before Eddie became ill again and may bring back painful memories, also I think the money could go to better causes than flowers that will only be viewed for a few minutes.
The charity idea is more appealing and I would prefer this but these are only my personal opinions.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I think @Lenny HB is right. The family's feelings should be our main consideration at this terrible time for them.
I also prefer a charity donation to flowers, but let's wait and see what the family wants. We'll find that out when they announce the funeral arrangements.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back